RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was always surprised that there were no Rundgren or Utopia quad mixes released or unreleased, given not only Rundgren's known interest in surround, but also because of the fact that there was a news item in Billboard circa sometime in 1973 (which I can't find at the moment) that said he was in the studio doing a quad mix on some kind of sound effects or intro tapes for the tour he was about to launch. You'd think if he went as far as carrying a quad PA on tour and mixed tapes for playback at shows that he'd also have mixed some of his studio work in quad, but I guess stranger things have happened...

This has probably already been brought up, @ForagingRhino, but does Warner still own the SR for Bob Dylan's Planet Waves? Or did Columbia buy it when they rereleased it in the '80s? I know Dylan sold his publishing to UMPG, but for those unaware, that only pertains to songs and not recordings.

This has probably already been brought up, @ForagingRhino, but does Warner still own the SR for Bob Dylan's Planet Waves? Or did Columbia buy it when they rereleased it in the '80s? I know Dylan sold his publishing to UMPG, but for those unaware, that only pertains to songs and not recordings.

A quick (and generally accurate, but not 100% I'll concede) way to check current rightsholders is to look the official upload of an album up on YouTube and see what it says in the description section below the song title. In this case, for the first track off Planet Waves:

1722978559107.png

Interesting. Here's what I found:

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE -
Bark. Grunt PQFT-1001 (Q8),
Volunteers. Grunt APD1-0320 (CD4),
Worst. Grunt EPQ1-1653-QF (DQR),

JEFFERSON STARSHIP -
Dragon Fly. Grunt BFD1-0717 (CD4),
Red Octopus. Grunt BFD1-0999 (CD4),
Spitfire. Grunt BFD1-1557 (CD4),

If my memory is correct, Frank Sinatra created the Reprise label. Sinatra is not listed in Rhino's stable of artists. Still a Quadio of Sinatra would delight his fans.

I'll always remember Arlo Guthrie for "Alice's Restaurant" where you can get "anything you want". ;)

I think Blows Against The Empire is RCA/Sony controlled, so I assume not available for a Quadio release.

Here's my wish list of unreleased quads - fingers crossed!

• BLACK SABBATH - "Sabotage" - Warner Bros. BS4-2822 (CD4), L9B-2822 (Q8)
  • CHICAGO - "At Carnegie Hall" - Columbia C4Q-30865 or CQX-30865 (SQ)
  • ARETHA FRANKLIN - "With Everything I Feel" - Atlantic QD-1811 (CD4), QT-18116 (Q8)
  • J. GEILS BAND - "Bloodshot" - Atlantic QD-7260 (CD4)
  • GORDON LIGHTFOOT - "Gords Gold" Reprise [2 LP] 2MS4-2237 (CD4), 2L9M-2237 (Q8)
  • QUEEN -"Queen" - Elektra 8Q-5064 (Q8)
  • BONNIE RAITT - "Takin' My Time" - Warner Bros. BS4-2729 (CD4), L9B-2729 (Q8)
  • LEO SAYER - "Another Year" - Warner Bros. BS4-2885 (CD4), L9M-2885 (Q8)
  • ROD STEWART - "Atlantic Crossing" - Warner Bros. BS4-2875 (CD4), L9B-2875 (Q8)
  • JAMES TAYLOR - "Sweet Baby James" - Warner Bros. WS4-1843 (CD4), L9B-1843 (Q8)
  • URIAH HEEP - "Return to Fantasy" - Warner Bros. BS4-2869 (CD4)
  • ZZ TOP - "Fandango" - London H-1656 (QR), L-7656 (Q8)

• ARETHA FRANKLIN - "With Everything I Feel" - Atlantic QD-1811 (CD4), QT-18116 (Q8)
  • GORDON LIGHTFOOT - "Gords Gold" Reprise [2 LP] 2MS4-2237 (CD4), 2L9M-2237 (Q8)
  • ROD STEWART - "Atlantic Crossing" - Warner Bros. BS4-2875 (CD4), L9B-2875 (Q8)
  • JAMES TAYLOR - "Sweet Baby James" - Warner Bros. WS4-1843 (CD4), L9B-1843 (Q8)

FR has confirmed that there is no quad master for the Bonnie Raitt. I think for some of the others too.

I was always surprised that there were no Rundgren or Utopia quad mixes released or unreleased, given not only Rundgren's known interest in surround, but also because of the fact that there was a news item in Billboard circa sometime in 1973 (which I can't find at the moment) that said he was in the studio doing a quad mix on some kind of sound effects or intro tapes for the tour he was about to launch. You'd think if he went as far as carrying a quad PA on tour and mixed tapes for playback at shows that he'd also have mixed some of his studio work in quad, but I guess stranger things have happened...

Well there's always that chance that he has one or two songs mixed . If that is the case .
I wonder how Rhino would (if they did consider) release such a thing .
Maybe a compilation , but better still, if an Atmos mix occurs , could be a bonus add on .

Great list of rumoured quads ,and sorry as I am , but I,
Already had these vetted by Steve @ ForagingRhino.
And Rod Stewart and J Geils Bloodshot are the only quad ones in the vault.
Not certain of the Chicago Live , but I think it was also a no go when the Box Set was released if IRC.

I'm hoping the next bunch contain a full rock slate .

James Gang Miami
Foghat Energized
J Geils Bloodshot
Z Z TOP Tres Hombres (if finally found)

Not certain of the Chicago Live , but I think it was also a no go when the Box Set was released if IRC.

James Gang Miami
Foghat Energized
J Geils Bloodshot
No James Taylor, Gorilla in the vaults ?

Attachments

• gorilla.jpg
    gorilla.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
  • gorilla 2.jpg
    gorilla 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 0

James Gang Miami
Foghat Energized
J Geils Bloodshot

Also would love Jackson Browne Late For The Sky , and
or Billy Cobham Spectrum .

Back