Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AR
mudding, not spackling
lets get our terminology and processes correct, okay ?
💋

And - yeah - those guys are incredible. The things they do with a joint knife,,,,,,,
Wonder if they'd succeed at Mummification ....IMO, a LOST ART

Egypt Museum | Mummification process, Egypt museum, Ancient egyptian

Luxury Vinyl Plank ( LVP ) sir Ralphie
When they get done sanding and primer, check the work by holding a bright light at a very shallow angle across the joints. Feathering out the joint compound is critical. If that is ok then should be no problem with your can lights. So many mudders like to cover their work with a heavy coat of spray texture!
And for God's sake, seal up those subs tight before sanding any drywall around them!

When they get done sanding and primer, check the work by holding a bright light at a very shallow angle across the joints. Feathering out the joint compound is critical. If that is ok then should be no problem with your can lights. So many mudders like to cover their work with a heavy coat of spray texture!
And for God's sake, seal up those subs tight before sanding any drywall around them!

I've used that trick with the light on my joint compound work. It is very effective at revealing every little blip. That's how I know that my drywall repair jobs always come out like crap unless I spend oodles of time on them.

I suppose you did all of that drywall spackling on your own, Ricky? LOL Always amazed at those guys. Every time I try to do some of it myself, I curse them.
I did the drywall and ceiling of one small room (about 10' by 10') with my dad 20 years ago. We used 8' by 4' sheets because of how the joints fell in the ceiling, and boy were they a pain to lift up to ceiling height. 6' by 3' sheets would have been a lot easier to handle for size, bending and weight reasons.

(For some reason this thread stopped emailing me!)

When they get done sanding and primer, check the work by holding a bright light at a very shallow angle across the joints.
I've used that trick with the light on my joint compound work. It is very effective at revealing every little blip.

Gee, I never realized that The Who song, Trick Of The Light, was about noticing someone's lousy drywall joint compound work. You don't believe me?

"Is it just a trick of the light
Or is her ceilin' peelin'"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Another great Entwistle song coming to an online retailer soon...in Dolby Atmos!

:SB:SB:SB:SB

I did the drywall and ceiling of one small room (about 10' by 10') with my dad 20 years ago. We used 8' by 4' sheets because of how the joints fell in the ceiling, and boy were they a pain to lift up to ceiling height. 6' by 3' sheets would have been a lot easier to handle for size, bending and weight reasons.

was wondering where you went Owen. Figured it was month long holiday. You were supposed to use your head on those drywall sheets. And I mean literally
Squarehead. As in Iggy ? BTW - Iggy lost his way here

Well, there ARE tools to help place drywall on ceilings. Done it a couple of times without and vowed to never do it again without a jack.

If you’re cheap enough to forego the jack, you can nail a cross-board to a slightly too-long tubafor and wedge that between the floor and a piece of drywall against the ceiling joists to hold it in place while you’re fastening it (using screws, I hope), but it’s still very heavy and very awkward getting a slab of drywall ut to the ceiling.

We used a couple of long handled sweeping brushes to hold the drywall up, or rather I held it up to the ceiling while my dad got some screws in. Dad assured me this is how it's meant to be done. I should have known better.

In the UK plasterboard screws have special bugle shaped heads so that they pull in easier, not like counter sink woodscrews. I've no idea how common the bugle headed screws are in the rest of the world.

One of these makes it waaaay easy

https://www.amazon.com/Idealchoicep...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

My dad doesn't like spending money on a tool we will only use once. Actually he just doesn't like spending money.
I bought a panel lift like that one to do my kitchen ceiling and walls. 16 sheets. It made a hard job relatively easy.. when done I sold the lift for about 3/4 of what I paid for it. It was worth every penny of the $45 or so it actually cost me. About the price of 2 drywall sheets.

We used a couple of long handled sweeping brushes to hold the drywall up, or rather I held it up to the ceiling while my dad got some screws in. Dad assured me this is how it's meant to be done. I should have known better.

In the UK plasterboard screws have special bugle shaped heads so that they pull in easier, not like counter sink woodscrews. I've no idea how common the bugle headed screws are in the rest of the world.
I have a special screwdriver bit for my drill that sinks the screw heads in a specific amount, then it disengages so the screws don’t rip through the sheet. I’m pretty sure I’ve driven a thousand screws with it, just in my own DIY projects.

Back