Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It worked! Wow! What a lot of work!
But, I guess if I get used to these curveballs....it won't be so bad. :) :)

Thanks Jim & Garry for your comments. Very helpful!!!

Optionally “Change Flac Level” to “5”. This is what dbPoweramp recommends and so I use this to be consistent.

As far as flac level, if you choose level 1 it will process very quickly, but give you larger file sizes. If you choose level 8 it will take longer to process, but will give you smaller file sizes. Playback compatibility and sound quality are exactly the same regardless of the flac level selected. The flac level differences only effect the initial processing time and final file size. Playback listening to the flacs uses no more or no less processing power regardless of the flac level chosen. Level 5 is a good happy medium of processing speed/file size, but I always use level 8 to get the smallest possible file size to save as much space as possible on my hard drive, although it does take a bit longer.

It worked! Wow! What a lot of work!
But, I guess if I get used to these curveballs....it won't be so bad. :) :)

Thanks Jim & Garry for your comments. Very helpful!!!

Gene:

I'm really glad that it worked for you, especially given the way the streams were organized on Hypnotic Eye. Once you use this method a few times it will become second nature to you.

Although in many ways I like DVD-AE, because of its limitations I only use it for DVD audio discs with LPCM or MLP of any resolution or Dolby True-HD or DTS-MA that are 24-48 as it cannot handle anything higher than that.

Jim

Hi all,

Due to the inspiration that HomerJAU an others have provided regarding their experiences accessing their multichannel content via Kodi and other streaming interfaces, I am keen to rip my discs and access my existing library.

In order to do this I need a decent blu -ray drive (external). As I own a Mac my options aren't as extensive as Windows PC's would have.

Looking at Samsung and Pioneer players. My Mac is MacBookPro11,5.

Any tips/suggestions?

I am seeking effortless operation and cost effectiveness.

Regards and thanks

Woody

Last edited:
Thanks Quoddiiophile. Do you mind if I enqure as to the Asus model you base your experience on?

Regards Woody

My pleasure.

It is an Asus Blu-ray combo SBC-06D2X-U. I shouldn't be terribly expensive and does not take up much space. I have had no problems whatsoever with it and I have ripped quite a few blu-rays and DVDs/DVD Audios.

However, I use Windows and so I am not sure if it will work with a Mac. You will have to double-check to see if it will run on a Mac. I cannot tell for sure from the manual but unfortunately now that I look at it more closely I suspect that it won't. Sorry about that.

Jim

My pleasure.

It is an Asus Blu-ray combo SBC-06D2X-U. I shouldn't be terribly expensive and does not take up much space. I have had no problems whatsoever with it and I have ripped quite a few blu-rays and DVDs/DVD Audios.

However, I use Windows and so I am not sure if it will work with a Mac. You will have to double-check to see if it will run on a Mac. I cannot tell for sure from the manual but unfortunately now that I look at it more closely I suspect that it won't. Sorry about that.

Jim

According to the Newegg listing I looked at, it is Mac compatible.

And just for the record, I purchased one only 6 months ago. While I can't remember the model number sitting here at work....it is a Pioneer. So far, it does a great job. If I recall, it was something like US $96.

So, for some reason, I'm having quite a bit of trouble ripping the 2003 DVD-Audio of Tubular Bells. I've tried it about every way I know how and in the end, all I can get is a single 48 minute flac file without individual chapters. I mean, it plays just fine, but being the stickler I am, I want to see the 17 chapters as listed on the DVD-Audio.

Has anyone else worked on this particular title and had any luck or pointers? I've tried DVD-AE, with no luck, then tried Audiomuxer with no luck and even tried MakeMKV, again with no luck. (no luck parsing out the 17 chapters that is)

A little more information -

So, when I go the MakeMKV route, I end up with 5 files (choices)

After loading each one, just to see what the heck they were, only the 00 seems to be the one I want. 01-04 each only have somewhere along the lines of less than 10 minute audio. Not sure what they are.

The 00 file claims to be 50 minutes. So, I choose that one. What it does is then parse out 20 chapters. The first 19 chapters end up saying 0.00 minutes each and the 20th chapter is 48 minutes. So, chapter 20 is the one that contains the whole Tubular Bells audio...

So, for some reason, I'm having quite a bit of trouble ripping the 2003 DVD-Audio of Tubular Bells. I've tried it about every way I know how and in the end, all I can get is a single 48 minute flac file without individual chapters. I mean, it plays just fine, but being the stickler I am, I want to see the 17 chapters as listed on the DVD-Audio.

Has anyone else worked on this particular title and had any luck or pointers? I've tried DVD-AE, with no luck, then tried Audiomuxer with no luck and even tried MakeMKV, again with no luck. (no luck parsing out the 17 chapters that is)

Try DVD-Audio Explorer 2008. Check convert to wav and merge groups.

Being the spontaneous type, I found the program. When I click file, it wants me to load a .ifo file. No clue what .ifo file is, or how I would get to that point.

Geez - is that another program? Different than DVD-Audio Extractor I guess?

I just used it on that title and it ripped fine.

It is actually my first choice ripping dvd-audio's. I use DVD-AE as a backup program for the odd title that doesn't rip. For DVD-AE I use direct stream demux and finish the process in Audiomuxer.

Being the spontaneous type, I found the program. When I click file, it wants me to load a .ifo file. No clue what .ifo file is, or how I would get to that point.

AUDIO_TS Folder/"AUDIO_TS.ifo" file.

Highlight all the tracks you want to rip. The track info is on the right. The first "group" are the multichannel, the second are the stereo. ...check wav and merge group boxes from the extract tab.

Oh yeah, OK. So it loaded 18 "tracks". I hi-lite them all, then clicked extract. Well, it's doing something, not sure what. So I will then have wave files? Can I then convert those to Flac?

yup. I usually use Audiomuxer to convert to flac, or foobar2000.

Now, the "fruits" of all that effort. :mad:@:

845FA4DE-E164-4875-A5B0-66A1725B6323.jpg

Back