Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this gets curiouser and curiouser.

Using Foobar2000, I must have tried reripping my Alan Parsons "On Air" DTS-CD at least 10 times to verify that the process I had suggested to GOS in a previous post would work. The best I could do was to get the stereo DTS Wav file stream rather than the 5.1 DTS wav stream that I had before. After further experimentation I have finally figured out the sequence. It is:

Under FILE, select OPEN Audio CD

Select the drive by DOUBLE-CLICKING it. For some unknown reason, this is the critical step.

The player will start. You should stop it because it will interfere with the conversion.

Then, Right-Click the contents and select Convert (make sure you have WAV selected as the output file).

I have tried this several times and it properly outputs the 5.1 WAV file. This process is truly bizarre!!!! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as I have found Foobar2000 to be such an odd duck whenever I have had to use it and so I avoid it if possible.

I did try SteelyDave's method of converting to FLAC via Audiomuxer and it does work. However, at least for my Alan Parsons On Air disc, it takes a number of steps and isn't entirely intuitive as it produces "fixed" files for WAV as an interim step and for FLAC in the final conversion although they do seem to work alright resulting in 5.1 16/44.1 FLAC files. Using the dbPoweramp Music Converter to do the conversion is much simpler and faster, at least for me.

Unfortunately (actually probably fortunately in my case), the Alan Parsons On Air disc is the only one that I own (or am likely to own) and so I cannot conduct any further tests. Therefore, please note that this method might only work for my particular disc but might still be worth a try on other discs as it is relatively quick and straightforward.

Incidentally, this morning I tried it using my CD/DVD drive as well as my Blu-ray Drive and it worked on that as well.

Finally, I do recall that there is a technical reason why these DTS-CDs have to be converted to Wav first rather than converting directly to FLAC. At least I certainly could not get it to convert directly.

I have no idea if any of this will help anybody.

Jim

OK, so here is what happened. I was able to load the songs in Foobar from my blu-ray drive. I converted to Flac and......WHITE NOISE! So, this easy method does not work. Now,:mad:@: I will try Steely Dave's method and see what happens.

Ugh - I got all the way to loading the .wav files into Audiomuxer, and it tells me the files are 2 channel! Damn....how do I get the multi-channel layer in Foobar at the start? How would I know? It loaded all 12 songs, but obviously it was the stereo layer, not multi. (n)

Ugh - I got all the way to loading the .wav files into Audiomuxer, and it tells me the files are 2 channel! Damn....how do I get the multi-channel layer in Foobar at the start? How would I know? It loaded all 12 songs, but obviously it was the stereo layer, not multi. (n)

Gene:

Try ripping using the process outlined above in Foobar. I went through the same process as you with the same results and that was the only way I could get it to work. It might not work on your disc but it is worth a shot and you will know quite quickly if it converts to multi-channel Wav in Foobar. You do this by right-clicking on a track that is already ripped and selecting Properties and then Audio Properties (near the top). You can do this as soon as a couple of tracks are ripped and do not have to wait for the whole thing to be ripped.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Well, this gets curiouser and curiouser.

Using Foobar2000, I must have tried reripping my Alan Parsons "On Air" DTS-CD at least 10 times to verify that the process I had suggested to GOS in a previous post would work. The best I could do was to get the stereo DTS Wav file stream rather than the 5.1 DTS wav stream that I had before. After further experimentation I have finally figured out the sequence. It is:

Under FILE, select OPEN Audio CD

Select the drive by DOUBLE-CLICKING it. For some unknown reason, this is the critical step.

The player will start. You should stop it because it will interfere with the conversion.

Then, Right-Click the contents and select Convert (make sure you have WAV selected as the output file).

I have tried this several times and it properly outputs the 5.1 WAV file. This process is truly bizarre!!!! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as I have found Foobar2000 to be such an odd duck whenever I have had to use it and so I avoid it if possible.

I did try SteelyDave's method of converting to FLAC via Audiomuxer and it does work. However, at least for my Alan Parsons On Air disc, it takes a number of steps and isn't entirely intuitive as it produces "fixed" files for WAV as an interim step and for FLAC in the final conversion although they do seem to work alright resulting in 5.1 16/44.1 FLAC files. Using the dbPoweramp Music Converter to do the conversion is much simpler and faster, at least for me.

Unfortunately (actually probably fortunately in my case), the Alan Parsons On Air disc is the only one that I own (or am likely to own) and so I cannot conduct any further tests. Therefore, please note that this method might only work for my particular disc but might still be worth a try on other discs as it is relatively quick and straightforward.

Incidentally, this morning I tried it using my CD/DVD drive as well as my Blu-ray Drive and it worked on that as well.

Finally, I do recall that there is a technical reason why these DTS-CDs have to be converted to Wav first rather than converting directly to FLAC. At least I certainly could not get it to convert directly.

I have no idea if any of this will help anybody.

Jim

Hey Jim - I tried your method of double clicking the player drive and got to Audiomuxer and it's still 2.0, not multi. I even crossed my toes...didn't work.

Yeah - I Just can't seem to load any multi-channel files from this CD...at least through Foobar. Not sure why not....

I'm sorry that nothing seems to work for your disc. Hopefully, someone else on here can get it to rip to multi-channel and tell us how they did it. And if they can't, that would suggest that there might be some thing odd about this particular disc. These things can happen. I successfully ripped all my blu-rays until (incredibly) I came to the last one and it would not get past the first track no matter what method I used and how many times I tried. I even tried a few days later and it still did not work. From the log files I am almost certain that there is some problem with the disc itself.

Have you been able to get other DTS-CDs to rip properly to multi-channel?

Best of luck.

I'm sorry that nothing seems to work for your disc. Hopefully, someone else on here can get it to rip to multi-channel and tell us how they did it. And if they can't, that would suggest that there might be some thing odd about this particular disc. These things can happen. I successfully ripped all my blu-rays until (incredibly) I came to the last one and it would not get past the first track no matter what method I used and how many times I tried. I even tried a few days later and it still did not work. From the log files I am almost certain that there is some problem with the disc itself.

Have you been able to get other DTS-CDs to rip properly to multi-channel?

Best of luck.

Yeah, I've easily ripped many other DTS CD's, none of which I had to do anything out of the ordinary.

The DTS 5.1 CD's I've easily ripped by standard methods are:
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (71021-54406-2-0)
The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (DTS-4418)

Even though I already had a DTS plugin installed in Foobar (I double checked) and anyway, I could play other DTS CD in Foobar....
I did a search and came up with this Foobar plugin....it sure looked like the one I already had, but I downloaded, installed, restarted Foobar....
Put Lyle Lovett in drive, selected drive in Foobar, it once again pulled in what sure looked like the exact same CDDA files....I click play and.... MULTI-CHANNEL...not even white noise. It played as is....

So - this seemed to fix and I guess from here I can convert to Flac. :mad:@:

DTS plugin link

:banana:

I think I might have to go postal.....seriously. I have MORE trouble with these G-damn Bluray Audios. I'm trying to rip Love and Rockets....so, I open it in DVD-Audio Extractor and now matter what I do, it tells me that MONO is the only audio format available. Huh? Mono? Seriously....

I've rebooted, reloaded disc, all that. I gave up and did the DEMUX thing, and once again, it tells me that only song number 1 is DTS+Core. All other songs are DTS. So when I get to the finished product, only song 1 will play, all others say they are corrupt. Ahhhhhhhh! I simply don't know why this is so damn difficult.

Now I've gone directly to Audiomuxer, chose Extract Audio From Blu-ray option, and trying this route. I swear - if there were just 1 way to rip all these different discs...I think I'd pay $200 for the damn program.... :yikes

I think I might have to go postal.....seriously. I have MORE trouble with these G-damn Bluray Audios. I'm trying to rip Love and Rockets....so, I open it in DVD-Audio Extractor and now matter what I do, it tells me that MONO is the only audio format available. Huh? Mono? Seriously....

I've rebooted, reloaded disc, all that. I gave up and did the DEMUX thing, and once again, it tells me that only song number 1 is DTS+Core. All other songs are DTS. So when I get to the finished product, only song 1 will play, all others say they are corrupt. Ahhhhhhhh! I simply don't know why this is so damn difficult.

Gene -

I hate to suggest something that might be obvious if you're already close to postal, but are you first ripping the BD with MakeMKV?

Paul

Now I've gone directly to Audiomuxer, chose Extract Audio From Blu-ray option, and trying this route. I swear - if there were just 1 way to rip all these different discs...I think I'd pay $200 for the damn program.... :yikes

That should work, if there's no copy protection. If there is, you could try HD Decrypter first, then Audiomuxer.

Gene -

I hate to suggest something that might be obvious if you're already close to postal, but are you first ripping the BD with MakeMKV?

Paul

No, it's not obvious.....with all the different disc formats, I can't seem to remember from time to time, which program is best suited. I think my MakeMKV has expired......I might have to break down and buy the damn thing.

That should work, if there's no copy protection. If there is, you could try HD Decrypter first, then Audiomuxer.

I have a decrypter, which works....and now that I'm finished, it didn't work like I wanted. Now I have a single file, with all the songs. Meaning, there are not individua(n)l songs listed...so I can't skip from song to song. Ugh. This really shouldn't have to be so hard. Yeah, I do get very frustrated.

No, it's not obvious.....with all the different disc formats, I can't seem to remember from time to time, which program is best suited. I think my MakeMKV has expired......I might have to break down and buy the damn thing.

No GOS no buy it - it is free while in beta and they update a code every month - this code comes from the MAKEMKV forums here

https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Copy the code from the link above.........and TADA you have another Month or more free

Just plug that code into your MAKEMKV and ur good for another month - they update the code like every month :banana:

So at the end of January they will post another code that extends your free MAKEMKV for another month or 2 :banana:

Last edited:
I have a decrypter, which works....and now that I'm finished, it didn't work like I wanted. Now I have a single file, with all the songs. Meaning, there are not individua(n)l songs listed...so I can't skip from song to song. Ugh. This really shouldn't have to be so hard. Yeah, I do get very frustrated.

I hear you man. I have at least half a dozen different programs to do all of the various hoop-jumping with all of the different formats and codecs and what-not, and sometimes what works for one type of disc format may not work for another of the same kind because of different codecs or authouring or whatever. It can get quite frustrating.

I'm not sure if you're in the mood for doing this, or you may already have it, but a little program called Mediainfo helps me when doing this. You just download it, it's very small, then go in and set it up to show the info in all instances, then when you go into Audiomuxer to extract from blu-ray to the mpls files list within the disc, you can hover over the different mpls files and it will show you the run-time, how many chapters, different audio options, etc.

Just thought of something else it might be. Once you select the proper mpls file, you have to select 'Load in Audiomuxer and split into chapters' before outputting to flac or you will just get one big file if it's set on just 'with chapters' instead of 'split into chapters'. I'll bet that's it, I hope.

No GOS no buy it - it is free while in beta and they update a code every month - this code comes from the MAKEMKV forums here

https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

The current code that will get you thru January 2017 is T-lAx41P60qUCpItEaWeTy4lU1PzJ7F3qIvKQxircspYn1lT9f9ubuvvghA6DJAnkAsj

Just plug that code into your MAKEMKV and ur good for another month - they update the code like every month :banana:

Hey Everybody - make sure you copy the code from the website link above - my own copied code seemingly may not work

Load the decrypted file into Audiomuxer and choose the option to break the file into individual chapters when it decodes.

The industry makes this hard because they don't want you to do any of this, you get that, right?

Back