Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, I used Audiomuxer to extract the Flac files, so I'm halfway there...I'll do some experimentation later. Thanks...

All the settings are on the main screen when you open Audiomuxer. You may have noticed that when you do any conversion, it automatically adds the converted files to that main screen unless you uncheck the box. Output bluray/avchd as an iso and burn with imgburn. Mount the iso and test it before you burn it to a bluray or dvd as an avchd. I normally use media player classic to test it. Good luck.

Have read this thread through and learned a lot, got confused quite a bit, and wish I read it before
I ripped all my multi tracks, used dts rather than lpcm in DVDAE, so will need to go back through:yikes.
One question if I may has anyone ripped the Chicago Quadio blurays and split the individual tracks as they all only contain one chapter? Now I can do this using music helper to make the relevant number of chapters from the single mkv file but getting all the split timings will be a pain especially as some have high numbers of tracks...is there an easier way or has this already been covered and I missed it in one of my confused moments:(

Have read this thread through and learned a lot, got confused quite a bit, and wish I read it before
I ripped all my multi tracks, used dts rather than lpcm in DVDAE, so will need to go back through:yikes.
One question if I may has anyone ripped the Chicago Quadio blurays and split the individual tracks as they all only contain one chapter? Now I can do this using music helper to make the relevant number of chapters from the single mkv file but getting all the split timings will be a pain especially as some have high numbers of tracks...is there an easier way or has this already been covered and I missed it in one of my confused moments:(

I use MakeMKV to get the file structure of the BluRay into a hard drive folder, and then in DVDAE, Title 2 is the individual tracks. The files are only 48kHz/24 bit, but since the destination is my car that works for me.

The Chicago box is DTS-MA 24/192. When you make a back up with MakeMKV and then load the folder in DVD-AE the track titles will probably show up on individual tracks, when you connect to the freedb.

Be careful, there is no LPCM on those Chicago discs.

Mike, it looks like you only converted the core DTS to flac.

See posts #268 and #272 for detailed instructions. Use MakeMKV to either:
a) make a full backup, in which case you should follow post #272, or
b) make an MKV of just the title you need. It's okay (and easier, in my opinion) if it's one file, not already broken into individual chapters. Use Audiomuxer as described in post #268 and you should do fine.

Also, you'll want to use this routine for DVDs that have DTS 96/24 tracks.

Mike, it looks like you only converted the core DTS to flac.

Yes, that is correct. My car supports up to 48kHz/24-bit 6-channel FLAC, so that seemed good enough for my application. Would you expect a noticable improvement from the DTS-MA downsampled to 48kHz? It might be worth the extra steps if so.

Yes, that is correct. My car supports up to 48kHz/24-bit 6-channel FLAC, so that seemed good enough for my application. Would you expect a noticable improvement from the DTS-MA downsampled to 48kHz? It might be worth the extra steps if so.

I wish my car did MCH FLAC. It only does DTS from a DVD which are painful to make and load.

I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference between DTS HD and Core in a car but I'd definitely try one title and compare both versions.

Wow, Audiomuxer is a really nicely done program. Very simple to use.

To get the audio split into individual chapters off of the Quadio discs (I just checked CTA), use the BDMV\PLAYLIST\01000.mpls playlist file. I would expect the rest of the discs to have the same structure.

People should also do it this way for TrueHD too, easy peasy lemon squeezy. The newer builds of MakeMKV have the ability to losslessly convert dts-ma to FLAC or WAVE when you create a .mkv back-up of the main movie as they have an open source dts-ma decoder, wonder if DVDAE will implementt this at some point? Would be the simplest solution for everyone.

True. DVDAE seems way behind the curve on this. Which is pretty lame of them, given that it's not freeware.

I notice Audiomuxer is freeware, so just to confirm - you don't need to have anything else installed or downloaded and Audiomuxer's download has everything it needs already to read either your MKV back-up or full disc back-up (via MakeMKV) and create FLACs without any user input on where the chapters are, etc?

Audiomuxer installs all the plugins you need (including a dts-ma decoder) and will split by chapter automatically as long as you select that option, and create Flac if you select taht option and allow you to tag the files if you select that option. It's all shown there in the screen capture I posted. You do have to tag the files yourself, either within Audiomuxer, or afterwards. Otherwise you get generic numbered filenames.

If you have a DTS decoder in your playback stream, you don't need to. Except maybe for DTS-MA tracks....if you bitstream those and your AVR lights up with the 'DTS MAster Audio HD ' indicator, you're fine. Though tagging may be an issue...

I wish my car did MCH FLAC. It only does DTS from a DVD which are painful to make and load.

I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference between DTS HD and Core in a car but I'd definitely try one title and compare both versions.

I did a comparison using "I'm a Man" off of CTA -- I thought I heard a little more clarity in the high hats/cymbals, though since it wasn't a blind A/B test it's hard to know if it was really there.

I'm going with the assumption that lossless really is better and I re-ripped all 9 discs using AudioMuxer.

So Just before Christmas I finally ordered a blu-ray burner to rip my blu-rays to the NAS. For about $50 or so, I got an LG 16x burner made for a desktop. I used my existing SATA to USB converter kit and had a very workable solution that I could plug into my laptop.

I received the burner at the start of New Years’ weekend and I am nearly done with all the blu-ray rips I need to do. It has performed flawlessly. Using MakeMKV and Audiomuxer I had no problems and no issues. It all worked very smoothly.
Over the weekend I processed the Chicago Quadio Box set, the Yes re-issue series, a trio of Steven Wilson solo titles, Floyds Endless River, Tears For Fears, Coldplay, Birdsong in Morning, and a few others. I ripped both the surround and stereo tracks, as well as any videos that might be present.

Some comments and questions:

I didn’t realize that the Chicago Quadio set was 24/192 DTS-MA (both stereo and quad) until I ripped it. I must not have been paying attention. The Audiomuxer conversion took a fair amount of time due to the higher bit rate. Most everything else was limited to 24/96.

Is there any downside at all to ripping the 24/96 LPCM option vs the 24/96 DTS-MA option? Most, though not all, of these disks had both options available. I chose the LPCM option when offered. What is the LPCM option actually for when playing back the disk?

Why is there so much duplication of material on some of the disks? Some of them had stereo tracks in both 24/96 and 24/48 LPCM, some had bonus video with individual video tracks for each title plus a title with all video included, all at the same resolution. Some of it just seemed like complete repetition.

I have Tales of Mystery and Imagination on the way from the shipper. This would be the most recent blu-ray I will own. I’m interested to see if the MKV decryption software has kept pace.

See posts #268 and #272 for detailed instructions. Use MakeMKV to either:
a) make a full backup, in which case you should follow post #272, or
b) make an MKV of just the title you need. It's okay (and easier, in my opinion) if it's one file, not already broken into individual chapters. Use Audiomuxer as described in post #268 and you should do fine.

Also, you'll want to use this routine for DVDs that have DTS 96/24 tracks.

Many thanks was able to get all Chicago blurays ripped using MakeMKV and Audiomuxer, :)

So Just before Christmas I finally ordered a blu-ray burner to rip my blu-rays to the NAS. For about $50 or so, I got an LG 16x burner made for a desktop. I used my existing SATA to USB converter kit and had a very workable solution that I could plug into my laptop.

I received the burner at the start of New Years’ weekend and I am nearly done with all the blu-ray rips I need to do. It has performed flawlessly. Using MakeMKV and Audiomuxer I had no problems and no issues. It all worked very smoothly.
Over the weekend I processed the Chicago Quadio Box set, the Yes re-issue series, a trio of Steven Wilson solo titles, Floyds Endless River, Tears For Fears, Coldplay, Birdsong in Morning, and a few others. I ripped both the surround and stereo tracks, as well as any videos that might be present.

Some comments and questions:

I didn’t realize that the Chicago Quadio set was 24/192 DTS-MA (both stereo and quad) until I ripped it. I must not have been paying attention. The Audiomuxer conversion took a fair amount of time due to the higher bit rate. Most everything else was limited to 24/96.

Is there any downside at all to ripping the 24/96 LPCM option vs the 24/96 DTS-MA option? Most, though not all, of these disks had both options available. I chose the LPCM option when offered. What is the LPCM option actually for when playing back the disk?

Why is there so much duplication of material on some of the disks? Some of them had stereo tracks in both 24/96 and 24/48 LPCM, some had bonus video with individual video tracks for each title plus a title with all video included, all at the same resolution. Some of it just seemed like complete repetition.

I have Tales of Mystery and Imagination on the way from the shipper. This would be the most recent blu-ray I will own. I’m interested to see if the MKV decryption software has kept pace.

There is no downside at all to ripping the 24/96 LPCM option vs. the 24/96 dts-ma option, in fact it's all plusses given that you can back up MakeMKV and then just extract the LPCM to FLAC using DVDAE which will save lots of time over the dts-ma processing - in terms of audio they're the exact same file but one is losslessly compressed (dts-ma) and the other isn't. The reason many discs will have both is because LPCM will work on HDMI 1.0 for older HDMI-capable set-ups OR Profile 1.0 players that don't support dts-ma decoding and have multichannel analogue outputs (like that old BD-P1000 from July 2006!) for those who can only do lossless surround via multichannel RCA outs; dts-ma includes a lossy dts core and will give those with very legacy set-ups that can't do lossless surround at all the next best thing (as it's usually 1.509 Mbps dts). LPCM + dts-ma is basically the way to suit all set-ups. If someone can't even do legacy dts then they have serious problems, haha.

Regarding the 24/96 vs. 24/48 stereo LPCM track, in some cases this may be a different mix. On the Tears for Fears for example there are 2 24/96 LPCM 2.0 tracks, one is the new mix by Steven Wilson and the other is the original 1985 mix. The situation you're describing may be similar if it's LPCM in both cases. There would be no reason to include both 24/96 and 24/48 LPCM stereo tracks of the same mix.

There is no downside at all to ripping the 24/96 LPCM option vs. the 24/96 dts-ma option, in fact it's all plusses given that you can back up MakeMKV and then just extract the LPCM to FLAC using DVDAE which will save lots of time over the dts-ma processing - in terms of audio they're the exact same file but one is losslessly compressed (dts-ma) and the other isn't. The reason many discs will have both is because LPCM will work on HDMI 1.0 for older HDMI-capable set-ups OR Profile 1.0 players that don't support dts-ma decoding and have multichannel analogue outputs (like that old BD-P1000 from July 2006!) for those who can only do lossless surround via multichannel RCA outs; dts-ma includes a lossy dts core and will give those with very legacy set-ups that can't do lossless surround at all the next best thing (as it's usually 1.509 Mbps dts). LPCM + dts-ma is basically the way to suit all set-ups. If someone can't even do legacy dts then they have serious problems, haha.

Regarding the 24/96 vs. 24/48 stereo LPCM track, in some cases this may be a different mix. On the Tears for Fears for example there are 2 24/96 LPCM 2.0 tracks, one is the new mix by Steven Wilson and the other is the original 1985 mix. The situation you're describing may be similar if it's LPCM in both cases. There would be no reason to include both 24/96 and 24/48 LPCM stereo tracks of the same mix.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check on the different mix issue. I hope I pulled the proper ones.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check on the different mix issue. I hope I pulled the proper ones.
When using DVDAE and connecting to the Freedb, a lot of descriptions come up, including indications of new mix or flat transfer. Works very good to identify which ones you are ripping.

MakeMKV is usually up to date with decrypting. the APP worked fine :)

I think I might have to go postal.....seriously. I have MORE trouble with these G-damn Bluray Audios. I'm trying to rip Love and Rockets....so, I open it in DVD-Audio Extractor and now matter what I do, it tells me that MONO is the only audio format available. Huh? Mono? Seriously....

I've rebooted, reloaded disc, all that. I gave up and did the DEMUX thing, and once again, it tells me that only song number 1 is DTS+Core. All other songs are DTS. So when I get to the finished product, only song 1 will play, all others say they are corrupt. Ahhhhhhhh! I simply don't know why this is so damn difficult.

You're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!! I got a similar result with the Mono thing, must be something related to DVDAE and the way the disc was authored, perhaps Neil Wilkes can shed some info if he ever reads this post.

Just to clarify for anyone else reading, I did a full disc back-up using MakeMKV then opened the folder using DVDAE, I see the (6CH) options in the first window and select LPCM 24/96 6CH, but when I move to the next screen where you can change the bit-depth and sampling rate and channels (and save each channel as a separate file), the only option where it would normally say "ALL 6 CHANNELS" is "MONO". Very strange.

I also had to use AudioMuxer but I immediately extracted the 24/96 5.1 PCM track and didn't bother with dts-ma as I figured processing overall would be faster.

DR log:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Love And Rockets / Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven [Pure Audio Blu-ray]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR11 -0.03 dB -16.07 dB 4:53 01-01 - If There's A Heaven Above
DR13 -0.17 dB -16.56 dB 5:10 02-02 - A Private Future
DR12 -0.07 dB -15.06 dB 7:35 03-03 - The Dog-End of a Day Gone By
DR11 -0.11 dB -16.26 dB 5:11 04-04 - The Game
DR12 -0.21 dB -15.72 dB 6:36 05-05 - Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven
DR12 -0.11 dB -15.26 dB 8:10 06-06 - Haunted When The Minutes Drag
DR10 -0.23 dB -15.90 dB 5:09 07-07 - Saudade
DR11 -0.04 dB -15.04 dB 3:34 08-08 - Ball Of Confusion
DR12 -0.16 dB -16.37 dB 3:21 09-09 - Lucifer Sam
DR13 -0.08 dB -16.40 dB 5:36 10-10 - Inside The Outside

Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 6
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 13824 kbps
Codec: PCM

It just wouldn't be a normal day if I didn't struggle with ripping a blu-ray audio. This time, it's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. As per usual, I tried DVD-Audio Extractor first and like many times, it can't deal with locating the DTS-MA stream. I even tried to demux them first and it just doesn't work.

Went on to MakeMKV as I thought that was the one that everyone likes. I'm able to create 3 different files because by the name, I couldn't tell which one contained the DTS-MA stream.

Picture 1 depicts the 3 files that were available according to MakeMKV...

B6FF349B-32EF-4388-A1AB-D0BA4C4CC62C.jpg

Now, since I don't know which file is which stream, I load each one into Audiomuxer until I find the correct stream (DTS-MA)
You will notice from these 3 pictures, that at no time can I find the DTS-MA....so what is up with that? Why should this be so hard to locate??

C1AD32D6-54AD-4722-B23C-E868B961E9D4.jpg

C1DE990C-AF9D-4B06-B08F-14F9324B6EBE.jpg

5869E8D9-E338-4ADD-A9EB-14F7BF4BC85C.jpg

It just wouldn't be a normal day if I didn't struggle with ripping a blu-ray audio. This time, it's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. As per usual, I tried DVD-Audio Extractor first and like many times, it can't deal with locating the DTS-MA stream. I even tried to demux them first and it just doesn't work.

Went on to MakeMKV as I thought that was the one that everyone likes. I'm able to create 3 different files because by the name, I couldn't tell which one contained the DTS-MA stream.

Picture 1 depicts the 3 files that were available according to MakeMKV...

Now, since I don't know which file is which stream, I load each one into Audiomuxer until I find the correct stream (DTS-MA)
You will notice from these 3 pictures, that at no time can I find the DTS-MA....so what is up with that? Why should this be so hard to locate??

I use Audiomuxer to extract them to flacs, but you may need to decrypt it first that way.

Back