Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar to this, you could just back up the entire BluRay decrypted with MakeMKV, then use Audiomuxer to select the mpls file for the you want to convert/save. This is convenient too if you you want to rip the other formats on the disc.

1) load disc in player, fire up MakeMKV, the disc should be detected by the app, at that point just select *Back Up* (the yellow folder icon with the arrow, in the toolbar. DO NOT 'open file' , 'load' the disc, or whatever...just click the backup icon. You are not making an MKV file). Wait for the disc to decrypt & back up. This takes awhile.
2) close MakeMKV, open Audiomuxer, choose Tools-->Extract Audio from BluRay
3) in the popup window, click 'Select MPLS File' and navigatee to your backed-up BD folder. The mpls files are in the PLAYLIST sub-subfolder. BDfolder-->BDMV-->PLAYLIST/*.mpls
4) select an mpls file. its contents will appear in the popup window. E,g, for the Topographic Oceans Bluray , 00001.mpls (see below) offers 3 audio tracks , PCM 2.0, DTS MA 5.1 , and PCM 5.1. There's no names , unfortunately, so it's trial and error to know what 'version' you are choosing (e.g. bonus tracks, alternate mixes, whatever). YOU DO see what the channel number, sample rate and bit depth are. E,g, for Tales, the DTS MA option of 00001.mpls looks like
Code:
       4: DTS Master Audio, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 96kHz
                  --(core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 1509kbps, 48kHz)
If you want full DTS MA (not just the core) make sure you select the top of these two lines. (The one that says Master Audio)
5) On the same popup , check 'Load in Audiomuxer and Split in Chapter'
6) Also select 'Export to Flac' (and choose a FLAC level) if you don't want .wav files. This will automatically select 'Re-Tag' as well, which will introduce a step where you can set the tags for the flac files. You can unselect this if you prefer to do that later.
7) Click 'Extract'. Wait for it to finish. When it is, you're done. You can repeat for other .mpls files on the disc. Makes sure not to overwrite your previous rips!

(btw, when there is an equivalent LPCM option, as in this case, I'd never bother with this DTS-MA stuff, I'd just rip the PCM version, using the MakeMKV + DVD-AE method in my next post, with its output set to FLAC)

WOW! So, per my previous post, I went with the MKV files and it didn't work. Then, I thought...OK, I'll try ssully's method...even though in my mind, I couldn't imagine why it would work any differently. But...it did. For whatever reason, by actually doing a full backup of the disc in question and following his instructions, suddenly I could then see the DTS-MA 5.1 96/24 stream. Jeez.....

So - this tells me that from now on, if the only multi-channel 96/24 stream is DTS-MA and it's a bluray, I'm going for this method. :)

WOW! So, per my previous post, I went with the MKV files and it didn't work. Then, I thought...OK, I'll try ssully's method...even though in my mind, I couldn't imagine why it would work any differently. But...it did. For whatever reason, by actually doing a full backup of the disc in question and following his instructions, suddenly I could then see the DTS-MA 5.1 96/24 stream. Jeez.....

So - this tells me that from now on, if the only multi-channel 96/24 stream is DTS-MA and it's a bluray, I'm going for this method. :)

That's what I meant, to use Audiomuxer to select the proper mpls file from the decypted blu-ray files. I don't use makemkv, but I vaguely remember someone saying you had to either select or de-select a certain setting or you would only get the lossy DTS core, but I'm not sure. I pretty much do it like Sully and you just did: decrypt the blu-ray files, select the proper mpls file in Audiomuxer, then extract to flacs with split into chapters selected. :upthumb

Edit: Also if you have Mediainfo on your pc with all of the setup options checked, when you see the full list of mpls files in Audiomuxer, you can single click any one of the files, then hover over any one of them and it will list all of the details (size/runtime/chapter/audio options/bit-rates, etc) without actually having to select and load them one at a time. It just makes it quicker and easier to see which one you want.

That's what I meant, to use Audiomuxer to select the proper mpls file from the decypted blu-ray files. I don't use makemkv, but I vaguely remember someone saying you had to either select or de-select a certain setting or you would only get the lossy DTS core, but I'm not sure. I pretty much do it like Sully and you just did: decrypt the blu-ray files, select the proper mpls file in Audiomuxer, then extract to flacs with split into chapters selected. :upthumb

hahaha - I spoke too soon. While I could see the DTS-MA 96/24 and was extracting....I got an error and it didn't work. :confused:
I'll try it again.... :mad:@:

Probably I'm getting confused - but I did use MakeMKV, but only to make a full backup. Then went into Audiomuxer and did my thing. I even tried to bypass MakeMKV and straight up use Audiomuxer, but doing it that way (to locate the mpls files, none of the contained the DTS-MA 96/24....only DTS 5.1 48/24. :yikes

Wait! Oh boy....and yeah, I'm even sober. I had the wrong mpls file chosen. Here we go again...maybe third time is a charm.

I edited my post up there to include this: 'Also if you have Mediainfo on your pc with all of the setup options checked, when you see the full list of mpls files in Audiomuxer, you can single click any one of the files, then hover over any one of them and it will list all of the details (size/runtime/chapter/audio options/bit-rates, etc) without actually having to select and load them one at a time. It just makes it quicker and easier to see which one you want.'

I seem to remember having a problem getting the right mpls on GBYBR too. Once you get Mediainfo set up right, it does make it easier to see which mpls file to select. I'm sure you'll get it right this time.

You're sober?! Well there's your problem right there. :p

I edited my post up there to include this: 'Also if you have Mediainfo on your pc with all of the setup options checked, when you see the full list of mpls files in Audiomuxer, you can single click any one of the files, then hover over any one of them and it will list all of the details (size/runtime/chapter/audio options/bit-rates, etc) without actually having to select and load them one at a time. It just makes it quicker and easier to see which one you want.'

I seem to remember having a problem getting the right mpls on GBYBR too. Once you get Mediainfo set up right, it does make it easier to see which mpls file to select. I'm sure you'll get it right this time.

You're sober?! Well there's your problem right there. :p

Not familiar with mediainfo...is that a program?

Not familiar with mediainfo...is that a program?

It's a tiny little program that just shows all of the media info of a given file, if you set it up to show info in the explorer tooltip. If you have several files just single click any one, then hover over a file and it will show all of the information in a little window. Basically you know how you can hover over a file or folder and your computer will tell you the size? It's exactly like that but it shows a lot more information. It's not really needed and I know adding one more thing to deal with to the equation seems annoying, but it's actually pretty easy to set up and very helpful once it's set up.

Wait! Oh boy....and yeah, I'm even sober. I had the wrong mpls file chosen. Here we go again...maybe third time is a charm.

I believe it's gonna work. Sure takes a long time just to get this disc into DTS-MA Flac. Wow. Right now, what I have are single wav files, that once they are all created, I think it turns right around and starts converting them to flac.

649740B9-2E21-40C6-B560-A41A267DB50C.jpg

7C44CFEB-95ED-43CA-BDAD-85B97392273B.jpg

It takes the DTS-MA file and decompresses it back to the original larger LPCM (WAV) file that is inside the DTS-MA, then after that, it losslesly compresses that LPCM (WAV) file into flac. Basically you're taking it from one lossless file type (DTS-MA) back to the original larger file, then switching it to another type of lossless file (FLAC).

All losslessly compressed files such as DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP), or FLAC all contain the original LPCM (WAV) audio, but they losslesly compress it down to a smaller size to save space on the disc. Once it's decompressed for playback, it has identical bit-for-bit information as the original larger file, hence the term 'lossless'. Nothing is lost.

Lossy audio such as DTS, Dolby Digital, MP3, actually takes little pieces of the original audio information and permanently throws it away to make the file smaller, but since it's lossy you can never get it back to the original source quality, hence the term 'lossy'. Something is lost.

Edit: It's also possible to take a lossy DTS, Dolby Digital, or MP3 file and compress it to flac, but whatever is in the flac file is just a lossless compression bit-for-bit of the lower quality lossy file. I've also noticed that for some reason, if you try to put a lossy file into flac, it comes out even larger than the original lossy file, which defeats it's purpose.

Gene (AKA GOS):

I know you really like "simple". Therefore, to rip a blu-ray audio, I would strongly suggest that you ignore DVDAE entirely!

Just follow the instructions I outlined in post #268 and you shouldn't have any major problems.

The major advantage of using DVDAE is the ability (sometimes) to retrieve the tagging information from them and even then that often needs some editing. The disadvantages include not being able to rip DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD (I think I am right about the Dolby TrueHD in this but there are so few of them that it is almost a moot point). It is obvious from many of the posts that the whole process when using DVDAE to rip blu-ray audio discs is confusing, frustrating, time consuming and usually unproductive for many people. It is just not worth the hassle.

So, stick to the MakeMKV and Audiomuxer combination outlined in post #268 for blu-ray audios and your frustrations should be greatly reduced.

By the way, I ripped the DTSMA stream of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to FLAC without any problems.

I hope this helps. I have suffered through your frustrations and so I sympathize with you.

Jim

P.S. SSully's method undoubtedly works and probably suits his situation but isn't quite as simple (at least to me).

P.P.S. Where's my $200.00 U.S. (see post #252)? LOL

In the case of DTSMA make sure that the box for the core DTS stream is not checked.

This was the checked/unchecked thing I was referring to earlier tonight:

I don't use makemkv, but I vaguely remember someone saying you had to either select or de-select a certain setting or you would only get the lossy DTS core, but I'm not sure.

Click the box that says Load in AudioMuxer with Chapters.

If you click that box you will end up with one long flac file for the entire album. You have to select Load in Audiomuxer and Split into Chapters to get separate files for each track.

I
Edit: It's also possible to take a lossy DTS, Dolby Digital, or MP3 file and compress it to flac, but whatever is in the flac file is just a lossless compression bit-for-bit of the lower quality lossy file. I've also noticed that for some reason, if you try to put a lossy file into flac, it comes out even larger than the original lossy file, which defeats it's purpose.

That's because you are adding a wrapper, a minor amount of data. There is nothing to 'compress' further in a lossy file, that's not a good purpose to use FLAC with them. The advantage to putting a lossy file in a FLAC wrapper is that it's easy to tag the FLAC file.

Gene (AKA GOS):

I know you really like "simple". Therefore, to rip a blu-ray audio, I would strongly suggest that you ignore DVDAE entirely!
unless there's an LPCM version on the Bluray. Then DVDAE really is easier.

Btw, when the output from Audiomuxer is a long list of .wav files named 'outputxx.wav', that's where automatic tagging by e.g. foobar, or pay apps like Tag & Rename, really come in handy (after converting them to FLAC)

unless there's an LPCM version on the Bluray. Then DVDAE really is easier.

Btw, when the output from Audiomuxer is a long list of .wav files named 'outputxx.wav', that's where automatic tagging by e.g. foobar, or pay apps like Tag & Rename, really come in handy (after converting them to FLAC)

It isn't easier unless you consider the tagging feature. What sucks about DVDAE is it downsamples from 24/96 to 24/48. I only use it as a last resort which is rare.

If it downsamples LPCM, that's news to me. does it??

Pretty sure it is only dts MA that downsamples but that is enough to keep me from using it. PCM + tagging feature would be a reason to use it, but I just use Audiomuxer and Makemkv. No downsample on ANY format. I use a combination of foobar2000 and Mp3tag for tagging. That way is "easier" to me. Foobar gets the info and mp3tag renames the files using the tag info.

Back