Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont have this disc yet, it is on its way from Burnign Shed. But does it only have one big file with the songs? That would be a first for Neil Wilkes authoring I guess.

According to the backcover, the disc has LPCM stereo and LPCM 5.1. Why bother with the DTS then? Make a backup with MakeMKV, and load the files in DVD audio Extractor and choose the LPCM stream and decode to flac with DVDAE. Normally this would give you the chapters as separate files. As said, I do not have this disc yet, so cannot confirm.

I know from experience that those DTS-MA can be frustrating to convert. Therefore if there is a LPCM stream I always convt that one as it never gives trouble.

This disc does have separate chapters within the MakeMKV single file rip, although just to add to confusion it has 12 chapters and there are only 10 tracks. I have successfully used Music Helper to split the single file into the separate chapters and the first ten chapters relate to the tracks on the disc and the last two can just be deleted. Music Helper was very kindly supplied by HomerJAU details of which can be found here https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...per-(useful-tools-for-Music-Videos-and-Audio) hope this helps!

I think I might have to go postal.....seriously. I have MORE trouble with these G-damn Bluray Audios. I'm trying to rip Love and Rockets....so, I open it in DVD-Audio Extractor and now matter what I do, it tells me that MONO is the only audio format available. Huh? Mono? Seriously....

I've rebooted, reloaded disc, all that. I gave up and did the DEMUX thing, and once again, it tells me that only song number 1 is DTS+Core. All other songs are DTS. So when I get to the finished product, only song 1 will play, all others say they are corrupt. Ahhhhhhhh! I simply don't know why this is so damn difficult.

Sometimes there is an extra track in the selected tracks (usually the last one on a title?) that isn't really part of the track list and is mono, so including it forces the entire extraction to mono. Double check that you only have the real tracks (with normal track times, not a second or two) selected and I bet it will work like you expect.

Sometimes there is an extra track in the selected tracks (usually the last one on a title?) that isn't really part of the track list and is mono, so including it forces the entire extraction to mono. Double check that you only have the real tracks (with normal track times, not a second or two) selected and I bet it will work like you expect.

Excellent point! I'll try that as well. Now that I've got my blood pressure back to normal :) I can probably try ssully's and other's suggestions.

I dont have this disc yet, it is on its way from Burnign Shed. But does it only have one big file with the songs? That would be a first for Neil Wilkes authoring I guess.

According to the backcover, the disc has LPCM stereo and LPCM 5.1. Why bother with the DTS then? Make a backup with MakeMKV, and load the files in DVD audio Extractor and choose the LPCM stream and decode to flac with DVDAE. Normally this would give you the chapters as separate files. As said, I do not have this disc yet, so cannot confirm.

I know from experience that those DTS-MA can be frustrating to convert. Therefore if there is a LPCM stream I always convt that one as it never gives trouble.

No, there are different streams, it's just that within any of those streams, my ripping process wasn't behaving like normal, so I was getting frustrated....to say the least.

Cheezmo's suggestion was spot on. The eleventh track was 28 seconds, I de-selected it, and then I could see the 6 channel from the drop down! Hell yes! Thanks man...honestly, I've never had that happen before. :mad:@:

Load the decrypted file into Audiomuxer and choose the option to break the file into individual chapters when it decodes.

The industry makes this hard because they don't want you to do any of this, you get that, right?

Of course I know they don't want us doing this. My point was, seems I have more trouble than most. Which drives me bat crazy.
EDIT - I'll also try your option, as I need to get that process to work too.

Gene,

I have tried all sorts of ways to rip blu-rays and the MakeMKV/Audiomuxer is by far the simplest and most reliable (at least for me).

Activate MakeMKV making sure that any other decrypter you have is off as that can interfere with the built in decrypter that MakeMKV has.

Select the appropriate stream. I would suggest that you only do one stream at a time (easier to keep track of). In the case of DTSMA make sure that the box for the core DTS stream is not checked.

Let MakeMKV do its thing. Remember where you sent the file.

Open Audiomuxer. Select Tools and then Extract Audio from MKV/MKA file.

Click the box that says Load in AudioMuxer with Chapters. Click box that says Export to Flac. Select Flac level if you wish (I use 5 because that is also the default for dbPoweramp).

Click Extract.

Follow the instructions which should be straightforward from now on. You will be asked to tag the tracks and you may be asked about a location for the output files.

Once the output files are produced, you can use a tagger such as MP3Tag to finish off the metadata (e.g. you will likely have to adjust the filenames to taste).

Best of Luck and a Merry Christmas!!!!

Indeed best wishes and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all QQ members!

Jim

P.S. I am off to Europe for a month tomorrow so I may not be able to reply to any questions you might have.

I may try Audiomuxer at some point but my dts-ma solution is finally working and now that I've nailed it I'll be hard-pressed to want to learn something else, it was such a PITA to get it to work! This is my current process for dts-ma:

1) Back up the Blu-ray with MakeMKV
2) Use eac3to (I used UsEac3To GUI) to extract the dts-ma to wav, which creates one wav file and chapters
3) Use MKVtoolnix which will extract the wave file into chaptered .mkv files
4) Use MKV to FLAC conversion program to convert your new .mkv files to flac
5) Label your files!

(for TrueHD or LPCM I just use MakeMKV > DVDAE)

I may try Audiomuxer at some point but my dts-ma solution is finally working and now that I've nailed it I'll be hard-pressed to want to learn something else, it was such a PITA to get it to work! This is my current process for dts-ma:

1) Back up the Blu-ray with MakeMKV
2) Use eac3to (I used UsEac3To GUI) to extract the dts-ma to wav, which creates one wav file and chapters
3) Use MKVtoolnix which will extract the wave file into chaptered .mkv files
4) Use MKV to FLAC conversion program to convert your new .mkv files to flac
5) Label your files!

(for TrueHD or LPCM I just use MakeMKV > DVDAE)

that's really over complex (for example,Audiomuxer itself already uses eac3to to extract, and can split into chapters, and convert to flac)

but whatever floats your boat

I have to agree with Sully. The easiest way I've found is to make an MKV in MakeMKV and go right to Audiomuxer to split the file into songs and convert into flac (or whatever you want). The only difficult part is that I have to copy and paste song names because there isn't a way to tag automatically, at least not that I'm aware of.

Gene,

I have tried all sorts of ways to rip blu-rays and the MakeMKV/Audiomuxer is by far the simplest and most reliable (at least for me).

Activate MakeMKV making sure that any other decrypter you have is off as that can interfere with the built in decrypter that MakeMKV has.

Select the appropriate stream. I would suggest that you only do one stream at a time (easier to keep track of). In the case of DTSMA make sure that the box for the core DTS stream is not checked.

Let MakeMKV do its thing. Remember where you sent the file.

Open Audiomuxer. Select Tools and then Extract Audio from MKV/MKA file.

Click the box that says Load in AudioMuxer with Chapters. Click box that says Export to Flac. Select Flac level if you wish (I use 5 because that is also the default for dbPoweramp).

Click Extract.

Follow the instructions which should be straightforward from now on. You will be asked to tag the tracks and you may be asked about a location for the output files.

Once the output files are produced, you can use a tagger such as MP3Tag to finish off the metadata (e.g. you will likely have to adjust the filenames to taste).

Best of Luck and a Merry Christmas!!!!

Indeed best wishes and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all QQ members!

Jim

P.S. I am off to Europe for a month tomorrow so I may not be able to reply to any questions you might have.

Similar to this, you could just back up the entire BluRay decrypted with MakeMKV, then use Audiomuxer to select the mpls file for the you want to convert/save. This is convenient too if you you want to rip the other formats on the disc.

1) load disc in player, fire up MakeMKV, the disc should be detected by the app, at that point just select *Back Up* (the yellow folder icon with the arrow, in the toolbar. DO NOT 'open file' , 'load' the disc, or whatever...just click the backup icon. You are not making an MKV file). Wait for the disc to decrypt & back up. This takes awhile.
2) close MakeMKV, open Audiomuxer, choose Tools-->Extract Audio from BluRay
3) in the popup window, click 'Select MPLS File' and navigatee to your backed-up BD folder. The mpls files are in the PLAYLIST sub-subfolder. BDfolder-->BDMV-->PLAYLIST/*.mpls
4) select an mpls file. its contents will appear in the popup window. E,g, for the Topographic Oceans Bluray , 00001.mpls (see below) offers 3 audio tracks , PCM 2.0, DTS MA 5.1 , and PCM 5.1. There's no names , unfortunately, so it's trial and error to know what 'version' you are choosing (e.g. bonus tracks, alternate mixes, whatever). YOU DO see what the channel number, sample rate and bit depth are. E,g, for Tales, the DTS MA option of 00001.mpls looks like
Code:
       4: DTS Master Audio, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 96kHz
                  --(core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 1509kbps, 48kHz)
If you want full DTS MA (not just the core) make sure you select the top of these two lines. (The one that says Master Audio)
5) On the same popup , check 'Load in Audiomuxer and Split in Chapter'
6) Also select 'Export to Flac' (and choose a FLAC level) if you don't want .wav files. This will automatically select 'Re-Tag' as well, which will introduce a step where you can set the tags for the flac files. You can unselect this if you prefer to do that later.
7) Click 'Extract'. Wait for it to finish. When it is, you're done. You can repeat for other .mpls files on the disc. Makes sure not to overwrite your previous rips!

(btw, when there is an equivalent LPCM option, as in this case, I'd never bother with this DTS-MA stuff, I'd just rip the PCM version, using the MakeMKV + DVD-AE method in my next post, with its output set to FLAC)

Attachments

• tales.png
    tales.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 184
You can *almost* do this with MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extract but unfortunately it fails at the last step for DTS MA (though it works for all other formats). IOW you can make a backup with MakeMKV, load it in DVDAE , which will even nicely show all the track versions and titles for you if you tell it too. Select your file(s); if it's DTS-MA*, you *MUST* use 'Direct Stream Demux' as the output option, otherwise you will only extract the DTS core. Doing Direct Demux leaves you with files suffixed *.dts. These are full-range DTS MA files but unfortunately, Audiomuxer is unable to convert these files to wav/flac, even though it is equipped with a DTS-MA decoder. (Actually, it can often decode the *first* track, but fails on the rest. Don't know why. Changing the suffix to *.dtshd doesn't help. I suspect DVDAE leaves out or adds something to the file headers, that Audiomuxer needs).

You can stream these .dts files directly to your AVR, and if it has a DTSMA decoder, and get full output. However you can't tag such 'raw' dts-ma files (at least, I haven't found a way -- the usual 'SPDIF wav wrapper' method for that works for other DTS files in Audiomuxer doesn't work for these).

*For sources that are in PCM formats, set output to WAV or FLAC rather than Direct Demux. For 'plain' DTS, DTS 96/24, 'plain' Dolby, and DolbyTruHD sources, the Direct Demux-->Audiomuxer method works.

I have to agree with Sully. The easiest way I've found is to make an MKV in MakeMKV and go right to Audiomuxer to split the file into songs and convert into flac (or whatever you want). The only difficult part is that I have to copy and paste song names because there isn't a way to tag automatically, at least not that I'm aware of.

My workflow doesn't involve making a MKV file. It makes a backup, a copy of the file structure and contents of the BD. And then treat the copy like a BluRay disc, not an MKV file, in Audiomuxer or in DVD-AE.

My workflow doesn't involve making a MKV file. It makes a backup, a copy of the file structure and contents of the BD. And then treat the copy like a BluRay disc, not an MKV file, in Audiomuxer or in DVD-AE.

Interesting. I've only been ripping for a few weeks now, so I'll have to try this. Thanks!

(btw, when there is an equivalent LPCM option, as in this case, I'd never bother with this DTS-MA stuff, I'd just rip the PCM version, using the MakeMKV + DVD-AE method in my next post, with its output set to FLAC)

People should also do it this way for TrueHD too, easy peasy lemon squeezy. The newer builds of MakeMKV have the ability to losslessly convert dts-ma to FLAC or WAVE when you create a .mkv back-up of the main movie as they have an open source dts-ma decoder, wonder if DVDAE will implementt this at some point? Would be the simplest solution for everyone.

I notice Audiomuxer is freeware, so just to confirm - you don't need to have anything else installed or downloaded and Audiomuxer's download has everything it needs already to read either your MKV back-up or full disc back-up (via MakeMKV) and create FLACs without any user input on where the chapters are, etc?

If so I'll give it a whirl this week-end.

The method I'm using sounds complicated but once you have everything in place it's relatively simple...but if there is a one stop solution that leaves you only having to tag your FLACs afterwards then I'll check it out.

Tried Audiomuxer tonight and yes it has all the elements included you need to do it my other way, things like MKVextract.exe are included in the download so you don't have to find them elsewhere (they're all free) and then point your software to them. Definitely the best solution for the inexperienced user.

The process is doing everything I described but just doing it automatically, it's pulling the chapter file from the Blu-ray and then adding it in so you don't have to. With the method I described you need to open up the chapter and copy and paste in the info.

Very nice little package, will pass it on where I know others are having issues. Cheers!

Similar to this, you could just back up the entire BluRay decrypted with MakeMKV, then use Audiomuxer to select the mpls file for the you want to convert/save. This is convenient too if you you want to rip the other formats on the disc.

1) load disc in player, fire up MakeMKV, the disc should be detected by the app, at that point just select *Back Up* (the yellow folder icon with the arrow, in the toolbar. DO NOT 'open file' , 'load' the disc, or whatever...just click the backup icon. You are not making an MKV file). Wait for the disc to decrypt & back up. This takes awhile.
2) close MakeMKV, open Audiomuxer, choose Tools-->Extract Audio from BluRay
3) in the popup window, click 'Select MPLS File' and navigatee to your backed-up BD folder. The mpls files are in the PLAYLIST sub-subfolder. BDfolder-->BDMV-->PLAYLIST/*.mpls
4) select an mpls file. its contents will appear in the popup window. E,g, for the Topographic Oceans Bluray , 00001.mpls (see below) offers 3 audio tracks , PCM 2.0, DTS MA 5.1 , and PCM 5.1. There's no names , unfortunately, so it's trial and error to know what 'version' you are choosing (e.g. bonus tracks, alternate mixes, whatever). YOU DO see what the channel number, sample rate and bit depth are. E,g, for Tales, the DTS MA option of 00001.mpls looks like
Code:
       4: DTS Master Audio, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 96kHz
                  --(core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 1509kbps, 48kHz)
If you want full DTS MA (not just the core) make sure you select the top of these two lines. (The one that says Master Audio)
5) On the same popup , check 'Load in Audiomuxer and Split in Chapter'
6) Also select 'Export to Flac' (and choose a FLAC level) if you don't want .wav files. This will automatically select 'Re-Tag' as well, which will introduce a step where you can set the tags for the flac files. You can unselect this if you prefer to do that later.
7) Click 'Extract'. Wait for it to finish. When it is, you're done. You can repeat for other .mpls files on the disc. Makes sure not to overwrite your previous rips!

Thank you. I know have my FLAC files, now I need to work out how to burn to burn to Blu-ray audio or DVD-A, not a data disc (I'm fussy) I've already done that.

I've recently discovered that simply blindly creating MKVs of everything and then running those through AudioMuxer makes the whole process easier. In the past I would just go straight to AudioMuxer and open all the playlist files, then make notes of running time, chapters, soundtracks, etc. to try to figure out what was what.

If I create MKVs first, I can just open those up in VLC Media Player and immediately (usually) know what I'm dealing with. Although that's a longer process with more steps, it actually requires less time and concentration on my part because the MKV conversion runs unattended and I don't have to try to figure out by process of elimination if the 43:57 playlist with 11 chapters is the original mix or the new one or...whatever.

Then of course there's the fact that MakeMKV is what found the "Meddle" 5.1 :D

Thank you. I know have my FLAC files, now I need to work out how to burn to burn to Blu-ray audio or DVD-A, not a data disc (I'm fussy) I've already done that.

Audiomuxer will create a bluray.

Back