Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, I've never seen anything like that, but that doesn't stop me from commenting....

I was an early adopter of LED bulbs. Some might remeber early models had heat sinks incorporated into the bulb design. Maybe the LED itself ran cool but there's a bit of circuitry to to convert 120V AC to DC lower voltage. I think that's what ran hot.

Newer bulbs are much better but I still see a warning on the packages do not operate in a closed enclosure. If your bulb destructed & fell on the floor, I guess it was in an open enclosure. I'm going with Rickey & say it was a bad bulb.

Last edited:
Took 34 LPs for a Spin Clean in the ol' Record Washer MK II
Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 2.39.50 PM.png

I have never EVER seen anything like this...you got any equipment (like a multimeter) to test the voltage/current (or whatever) of the socket it came out of?
whoa ! Its either a circuit issue or a faulty bulb. I always buy name brand bulbs --Sylvania or GE. test your circuit
I was an early adopter of LED bulbs. Some might remeber early models had heat sinks incorporated into the bulb design. Maybe the LED itself ran cool but there's a bit of circuitry to to convert 120V AC to DC lower voltage. I think that's what ran hot.

Newer bulbs are much better but I still see a warning on the packages do not operate in a closed enclosure. If your bulb destructed & fell on the floor, I guess it was in an open enclosure. I'm going with Rickey & say it was a bad bulb.

The fixture has four of these bulbs installed and it is open, not enclosed. Also, the bulb wattage (4.5 w) is much lower than the rating of the socket, so I don't think that there is a problem with the socket. It is a Philips branded bulb, which means nothing other than it is probably made by the same idiot manufacturer in China as are everyone else's. This bulb is also UL listed, which should mean that it is intrinsically safe for fire and electrical.

As Scott says, the base of these bulbs gets hot which is typical of LED bulbs.

I don't know if I should send the bulb back to Philips or to UL. I don't really care about getting a replacement/refund, but I am concerned about fire safety.

Last edited:
Yeah, downsides to getting old exist, and yet . . . . Last time i saw the Stones at Soldier Field it was the summer of '78!
View attachment 98758
They never offer me anything, just send letters wanting me to send money. All the time. I just throw them in the trash now.
Often I wonder why AARP just sends money for their causes instead of paying all the postage??

As 2023 comes to a close I have been looking back over the entire year and this has been a great year for physical surround sound media. There were so many quality releases as my bank account can attest. I may have to slow down in 2024 but we will see.
Right?!
We keep hearing about the demise of physical media but I believe I bought more titles this year than in any of the last decade. The only negative is that a good many of them are expen$ive. I can't imagine 2024 having more.

Right?!
We keep hearing about the demise of physical media but I believe I bought more titles this year than in any of the last decade. The only negative is that a good many of them are expen$ive. I can't imagine 2024 having more.

"The reports of my physical media's death are greatly exaggerated."

- Mark Twain

Nope, I've never seen anything like that, but that doesn't stop me from commenting....

There are several factors:

- Some require access to cooling air.
- Some cannot be installed with the screw base pointing up.
- Some go bad when power is noisy. (One brand failed whenever I used my power saw).

I have NEVER had an LED bulb keep working for the entire life published on the package. The electronic ballast/power supply burns out first.

I had several where the base turned black when the bulb failed.

Happy 90th. Birthday to John Mayall. And to celebrate, here's one of my favourite songs of his. It's about a well-endowed lady...... but on the song he's drunk, forgets the words, swears (gets bleeped), and has such a great time that this version actually trumped the "straight" takes to make it on to the album:

Happy 90th. Birthday to John Mayall. And to celebrate, here's one of my favourite songs of his. It's about a well-endowed lady...... but on the song he's drunk, forgets the words, swears (gets bleeped), and has such a great time that this version actually trumped the "straight" takes to make it on to the album:

There's a bit of chicka-chicka in this one–happy birthday!

I'm in Cyprus at the companies R&D HQ, its way warmer than the UK, 20degC outside, my hotel room is at +24degC, but they have put a thick winter duvet on the bed! I've been sleeping on top of it! Anyway I always stay in this hotel and have just been given a free glass of very nice Cypriot Red wine 🍷

Last edited:
I'm in Cyprus at the companies R&D HQ, its way warmer than the UK, 20degC outside, my hotel room is at +24degC, but they have put a thick winter duvet on the bed! I've been sleeping on top of it! Anyway I always stay in this hotel and have just been given a free glass of very nice Cypriot Red wine 🍷
Hi Duncan! I'm at a seed trade convention in Orlando, Florida. Until Thursday. Happy hour is 4pm-7pm. Oh boy.....

Back