Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I found out that some popular receivers have a bug and don't actually bass manage the center...which poses a problem for me because in Track 2 I put some deep bass exclusively in the center.

Should I move it to the fronts or nah?

My goodness. Now I dislike the center channel even more than yesterday, despite my thinking that was impossible. Not only is it at the mercy of various speakers and speaker placement, but now you tell us that bass management can be a problem with some AVRs. So yes, put the bass in the main speakers.

My version of the song More Today Than Yesterday by The Spiral Starecase as sung to the center channel speaker:

I hate you more today than yesterday
But only half as much as tomorrow

Every day's a new way, every time I hear ya
blah blah blah...

Myself...I just tested it at home and at some friends homes! :O The Yamaha brand being more common with the error...
Dunno about your home system or friends. But my Oppo & Anthem pre-pro have simple speaker set ups in the menu. And if you select "small" for center front any bass below 100HZ (on mine) gets diverted to front L/R. Reasonable since my center fronts are smallish 6.5" 2 ways above & below my screen. The front L/R are biggee Infinity's so this is the right way & it works.

In other words, I'd check the speaker set up menu if you have small center front & getting too much bass. Or, if you have a full range center front, should be a non-issue.

Edit: I'd also say that "lots of bass" or even "bass" is a pretty loose term. Whwere does bass begin? A lot of what we think is bass like bass guitar or low piano notes is not very low in frequency might end up being pretty punchy even if center front bass management is used.

PM, put the bass in the fronts. Here is The Doors LA Woman. The bass is all in the center channel. I had wondered for years why these Doors 5.1 discs were so bass shy until one day I was just playing around and set the center crossover to SMALL. It probably should have been set to SMALL all along, but it simply wasn't intuitive to me that any 5.1 recording would have all of the bass content in the center channel.

LA Woman.jpg

Okay, fronts it is. I'll still offer the center channel mix on the disc as a bonus...if I end up having space. 🤪

On a side note, due to various factors, I'll probably have to do pre-ordering again...which sucks. But, hopefully, I'll be able to figure out something to reduce shipping prices...

By the way, the bass is in the subwoofer range, which is how I noticed in the first place! I think I'm taking full-range mixing a little too seriously at heart...I have a kick isolated in the rears for most of track 4...

Then again, I'm getting ahead of myself...I have to finish this album first!

Okay, fronts it is. I'll still offer the center channel mix on the disc as a bonus...if I end up having space. 🤪

On a side note, due to various factors, I'll probably have to do pre-ordering again...which sucks. But, hopefully, I'll be able to figure out something to reduce shipping prices...

By the way, the bass is in the subwoofer range, which is how I noticed in the first place! I think I'm taking full-range mixing a little too seriously at heart...I have a kick isolated in the rears for most of track 4...

Then again, I'm getting ahead of myself...I have to finish this album first!
Sounds like you've got something chest thumping & bone rattling in the works. Bring it on!

Is this a 5.1 project? If so wouldn't it make sense to put this deep bass in the .1LFE ch & be done with it?

Sounds like you've got something chest thumping & bone rattling in the works. Bring it on!

Is this a 5.1 project? If so wouldn't it make sense to put this deep bass in the .1LFE ch & be done with it?
5.0. I've given up on LFE because it's too stupid to work with and I'm assuming everyone has bass management (QQ is my ONLY audience).
Also very dynamic...sometimes. Digital has enough headroom!

Last edited:
5.0. I've given up on LFE because it's too stupid to work with and I'm assuming everyone has bass management (QQ is my ONLY audience).
Also very dynamic...sometimes. Digital has enough headroom!
What you mean "too stupid to work with" Too challenging? Too un-predictable?

Not everyone here has a set up with bass management when you consider the many with vintage equipment. Now I do have BM :) but it's no help in this case of a discrete 5.0 with full range corner speakers. That means nothing would be sent to the sub-woofer. I'd be big dissapointed.

Some Yelo & Cornelius come to mind where the sub-woof ch both integrates & adds to the music. Esp on Yelo the sub really raises the live performance to the next level of being there. And The Golden Bonana utilized the .1 sub channel very effectively too. In the poll I grouped your album right up there with Cornelius & Yelo and the bass balance from the .1 was part of it.

Just my preference but on a new release like you must be working on, I would rather have a 4.1 than a 5.0 and a good 5.1 over either of those.

Last edited:
Too un-predictable?
Bingo! Everyone has a different setup, and it'll sound different everywhere. I guess I can put a low-level derived LFE, but then with proper bass-managed systems, it's...extra bass. 🤪
Some Yelo & Cornelius come to mind where the sub-woof ch both integrates & adds to the music.
I did experiment with that, but I found the results rather inconsistent with sound cohesion unless I design my songs around that. Cornelius, AFAIK, uses the .1 like films, as it's own discrete channel, rather than a supplement to the mains.
And The Golden Bonana utilized the .1 sub channel very effectively too.
I am very surprised to hear this, because if I remember correctly, for the SACD/DVD-A, it's just a duplicate of all channels downmixed to mono, low-passed, and gain-staged to be the same volume as the fronts. On my personal copy I have -4db attenuation on the LFE channel because the bass was overwhelming on my janky low-end bookshelf + sub setup that I had at the time. I just assumed everyone was throwing out the LFE. Should I do the same for Album #3?

Bingo! Everyone has a different setup, and it'll sound different everywhere. I guess I can put a low-level derived LFE, but then with proper bass-managed systems, it's...extra bass. 🤪

I am very surprised to hear this, because if I remember correctly, for the SACD/DVD-A, it's just a duplicate of all channels downmixed to mono, low-passed, and gain-staged to be the same volume as the fronts. On my personal copy I have -4db attenuation on the LFE channel because the bass was overwhelming on my janky low-end bookshelf + sub setup that I had at the time. I just assumed everyone was throwing out the LFE. Should I do the same for Album #3?
Yeah since the earliest days of (modernish) recording & home reproduction, no one in the business could predict how it might sound on play back. In the early days of "quality stereo" there were big honkin' JBL's, KEF's, AR's, hanging around in the studio and then there was always the tiny book shelf or even car speakers there for producers to balance the best mix between the two. Mainly EQ. I think mixing down & filtering is a very good way to add some value added bass to a 5.1 mix.

Last edited:
So I found out that some popular receivers have a bug and don't actually bass manage the center...which poses a problem for me because in Track 2 I put some deep bass exclusively in the center.

Bass in the centre is one of my deep dislikes. So many people do not have a centre speaker capable of doing bass justice, so why on earth put bass there?
I have 12" woofers in my 4 corner speakers so I have no need for a sub.

Last edited:
So for those who aren’t aware of Canadian wildfires and the smoke that continues to impact central Illinois, among other places. We currently have locally some of the worst air quality in the world.

Picture doesn’t do justice to how terrible it actually is. The smell is also horrible. I took this picture today at 11:30am central time.
IMG_7111.jpeg

Last edited:
So for those who aren’t aware of Canadian wildfires and the smoke that continues to impact central Illinois, among other places. We currently have locally some of the worst air quality in the world.

Picture doesn’t do justice to how terrible it actually is. The smell is also horrible.
View attachment 93275

western Michigan is experiencing the same thing Gene, Yesterday we had the worst air quality in the world. When you stepped outside you could feel a mild irritation to your eyes. Today is bad - but not quite as bad. Looks like it finally moves out of here tomorrow night --and then becomes another area of the country's problem.

western Michigan is experiencing the same thing Gene, Yesterday we had the worst air quality in the world. When you stepped outside you could feel a mild irritation to your eyes. Today is bad - but not quite as bad. Looks like it finally moves out of here tomorrow night --and then becomes another area of the country's problem.
Yeah, I heard... I've always felt I have a very high tolerance to things that other people seem to have issue with. But today, I most definately woke up with a really bad headache and went ahead to work...only to get worse. I came home. Just a piercing pain in my right temple.

Yep it is moving out,,,, right back to the east coast. :sick:

Oh Canada.....

Back