Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"I sat on this for years": Film crew visits Derbyshire field​

to unearth truth of classic Who album cover​

https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/n...arth-truth-of-classic-who-album-cover-4677778

“You wouldn’t think a lump of concrete could cause so much enthusiasm. It must have been about 14 feet high at the time of the photo but there’s only about 18 inches now.”

1719518857834.png

You and I are looking at roughly the same time period from two different perspectives. You, the seasoned professional & me, the advanced consumer. And I found that time slot to be very interesting. In 1970 Mati Otala raised the issue of TIM distortion. But it wasn't until maybe mid 70's it became real interest to audiophiles. There were many main stream products that started listing slew rates and addressing that issue. Then came the interest in the ubiquitous coupling capacitors. Suddenly there was great research as to what might be the audible outcome from capacitor DA/DF/ESR and inductance. All of a sudden there was an abundance of main stream & high end companies offering their version of "direct coupling".

And how might gear like audio power amps benefit from independent power supplies? Straight line tracking tone arms went main stream on Harmon Kardon & other TT's. And if CD-4 had waned it brought the benefits of better vinyl composition, half speed mastering, and improved stylus design to the masses.

All of these alone could only potentially bring smallish improvements but as a sum the potential for improved sound & I embraced it all trying to learn & separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

I must agree with you on that! Even analog TV is an amazing feat, keeping scan lines synced, blanking intervals, and then shadow mask tri-gun color TV. Wow! I think the big break through , besides home taping, was the Advent VideoBeam projector:
Yeah, I do remember some noise about Transient Intermodulation Distortion, but honestly, I don't know if anyone ever honestly heard the difference.

One project I worked on, I decided to see what would happen if I just took out the coupling capacitors between the stages, and it was fine, although I think there were a few guys there who felt it wasn't "good practice." The voltages across the caps were always under 1V, and I think there were four of five of them. It might have reduced the dynamic range of the unit by 1db, just because of the clipping point.

But seriously, are "modern" designs audibly better than the Crown DC300A? I know they have issues, but they were the high-fidelity beasts of the early 1970s.

I went to a closed-circuit showing of the 1965 Indianapolis 500. IIRC, it was at the LA Sports Arena, next door to the Coliseum. There was a video projector there (I couldn't get close enough to it to find out anything, and even if I could, that wasn't a big interest of mine at the time) that put up a picture of about 25' diagonal measurement. Of course, the arena was dark, and the picture was monochrome, but it was so cool because it was the Indy 500!!

A couple of decades later, I actually designed an AV system with a color video projector that used a 25' diagonal screen. It was a GE Talaria model, and I thought it was remarkable. We had installed several three-tube projectors in systems before, and aligning them was a job that took a few hours - usually all afternoon. The GE didn't have that issue, and it put out about ten times as much light as the 3-tubes did. That project had a lot of fun elements in it, and I got to play with all the big-boy toys!

In my early days as an engineer, we had some pretty rudimentary microprocessors (Motorola 6800), and my first design was controlling the hub motors on a cassette deck. It couldn't wind too fast, or the microprocessor would miss counts, and that was something we couldn't have. My first servo, before I took a control systems class. Busted a few tapes in R&D on that one.
I could well be wrong, many decades have passed, but I had a STRIDE pc in my lab that I believe ran the old Motorola processor. Googling for STRIDE pc's brought up nothing..but that was in the 70's. The pc ran test equipment and used the P-Pascal OS developed by the U of Utah I think.
Never delved much into the OS. DOS was just easier and I had an 8086 running test equipment as well via line BASIC. I eventually re-wrote the progam in QuickBasic so I could make some easy changes and take out all that GOTO crap.
Come the 80's we got more modern pc's and a LAN and eventually internet.

Some things seem to be buggy lately. In Chrome, when I watch a YouTube video, I can't get rid of the closed captioning. It's getting pretty darn irritating as I have to keep moving the caption out of the way. I've been all through the settings to disable it but still there.
Anyone got a clue on this??
No, not sure what that is all about. But I have to agree about weirdness randomly occuring on the web. I have one right here on QQ. In the last couple months, when I click on the notifications icon in the upper right and select one of them...nearly all the time it takes me to a couple posts before the one with the notification. Drives me nuts, nore do I know why it's doing this.

First thing I saw is some unknown download. then further down another one. What kind of site is that? (no offense to you personally).
I don't even see a download...Gos can show you a picture of it...I use Microsoft Edge... no offense taken...sometimes these browsers are a little wacky....I have problems with Best Buy...due to Microsoft Edge.

No, not sure what that is all about. But I have to agree about weirdness randomly occuring on the web. I have one right here on QQ. In the last couple months, when I click on the notifications icon in the upper right and select one of them...nearly all the time it takes me to a couple posts before the one with the notification. Drives me nuts, nore do I know why it's doing this.
Snap! :D Same thing has been happening to me, its really irritating, if you go back and re-click on the notification it takes you to the correct post (usually).

I don't even see a download...Gos can show you a picture of it...I use Microsoft Edge... no offense taken...sometimes these browsers are a little wacky....I have problems with Best Buy...due to Microsoft Edge.
No problem here. Firefox with a few blockers added. Interesting article. Thanks.

1719586887230.png

I don't believe I'm what you'd call internet savvy. More of my usual skill level for most things of 'knows enough to be dangerous'. But here goes.

Firefox with uBlock Origin. That's it. I haven't watched a commercial since last century.

There was a moment where Youtube was trying to battle adblockers. Just reload the page. Those were brief and sporadic. Must have been crippling for them or just looked like they crashed. I pasted some script in uBlock a while ago that made the Youtube "shorts" with the phone held the wrong way go away.

Google seems to be kind of broken in recent times, doesn't it? Not sure what to suggest there.

Indeed. I use Firefox with uBlock Origin, Ghostery, and Ad Block +. The duplicity is if one doesn't work on a page the other's will. Like you I haven't seen ads or unwanted pop ups in years.

As for Google searches, may I suggest Startpage? Very private I trust it. Cuz Google knows too much about me anyway. Go into Startpage settings & turn off instant answers, promotional messaging, etc. I would never use Chrome. May I suggest it's always good to check your Google account & make sure all the search history, location tracking, etc is turned off. Only downside to Startpage is it doesn't have as good a maps function as Google. Uses Mapquest, hahaha.

Firefox also has some good plug ins for paywall blockers.

I'll grudgingly open Chrome if some rogue webpage is written to only work with it. Or whatever is going on with that. I know where the "software update" app they install every time you launch it is and delete it after. It calls home every 20 minutes otherwise. Little Snitch shows me that. That's my network security app, FYI.

I'll check out Startpage, thanks!

I still use Ebay to search for things sometimes. Not as good as in the past either but that can work a lot better than google. F google and chrome and anything and everything to do with them. Their email is wholly broken garbage too.

. F google and chrome and anything and everything to do with them. Their email is wholly broken garbage too.
I have an ancient AOL e mail associated with QQ and that's about all I use it for. My favorite free e mail app is from ZOHO:
1719600777539.png

No snooping, no ad targeting, nicely organized graphics with extra office type tools like G Mail. But I also have a G Mail acct for all my daily main stream stuff. Because when verbally conveying my e mail addy to someone they would surely misinterpret zoho as soho. Everyone knows gmail.com.

I could well be wrong, many decades have passed, but I had a STRIDE pc in my lab that I believe ran the old Motorola processor. Googling for STRIDE pc's brought up nothing..but that was in the 70's. The pc ran test equipment and used the P-Pascal OS developed by the U of Utah I think.
Never delved much into the OS. DOS was just easier and I had an 8086 running test equipment as well via line BASIC. I eventually re-wrote the progam in QuickBasic so I could make some easy changes and take out all that GOTO crap.
Come the 80's we got more modern pc's and a LAN and eventually internet.
The 6800s would have needed a ton of peripherals to get anywhere close to being a PC. We had dedicated applications, and I eventually got pretty good at building products around them. I think we only had a couple of products that even had RS-232 ports on them, and none of them had interface screens. We had one that did put out NTSC/PAL video, but that was more of a screen-filler (used when we weren't actually playing tape) than anything else.

I built up an 8088 PC that eventually had two floppy drives, two 32MB hard drives, a math coprocessor, a 2400 baud modem, a color monitor, and a RAM drive. I used a relational database manager called PC-FILE-R, and it would exercise the disc drives like crazy, so the RAM drive was a godsend.

And these days I edit video and author blu-rays on my PC at home, not to mention chatting on message boards. Ain't science amazing!

Back