So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started out with the DV970HD. I just love this unit. I like the design.. Then followed with a 83, 93 and then 203. I skipped the 103 and I can't remember why.
They all stilled worked until I got the next one but I wonder if the earlier units could be sent in to OPPO for maintenance service.
They were still in business as of recently. You pay a flat fee based on the model, you pay for shipping to them. They repair and send back to you with no shipping charges added. At least that's the way they used to do it. A few years ago I think it cost me about $40 bucks to send in my DV-970HD for repairs. They fixed it and had it on it's way back the same day!

205 NIB
Highest resale value of course...you could probably still sell that & get a nice car out of it.

The people who got 203 sounds like they had correct thinking. The only thing you need the 205 for is the excellent analog section full multi-channel outputs... but also don't forget that handy USB DAC input that's absent on the 203. In addition to really the only connection you can make from a computer, it sounds fantastic connecting up my Bryston streamer through it. Definitely more resolution than the coax...

The Magnetar people really ticked me off... The one thing they forgot to add is the one thing I absolutely need currently: HDMI IN is absent on even their higher-end 900 checkerboard beast model. Being 100% analog for my system, that's the only way I can get a digital component into my system (IE Apple TV or game console). So until someone else comes along, I have to hope the 205 keeps chugging away...

I keep hoping with the return interest in physical media that Oppo will re-enter the market...but the staff there thinks that's 0% possibility sadly..

Well I know all the arguments, but I'm pretty happy with pc playback over HDMI to my AVR. I really don't use the disc players much anymore.
I run the base speakers off the Onkyo and pre out the 4 top speakers off an old Sherwood analog AVR that's still kicking.

but also don't forget that handy USB DAC input that's absent on the 203. In addition to really the only connection you can make from a computer
You can use HDMI audio out from a computer. That said the only thing I wish my 203 had extra is USB input for audio, to be played digitally out of the HDMI to my AVR (which also doesn't have a USB audio input).

If you had a 93/95 (which added 3D playback) all the 103/105 added was some online streaming services and the digital inputs. Similarly all the 103D/105D added was the Darbee processing.
I bought the 103D specifically because it could rip SACD’s. The D designation was incidental and not particularly impressive. Anyway, I’m especially pleased to have purchased the unit brand new while units were still in production.

All this talk of Oppo's...I just went on Ebay and noticed that just about all the Oppo's for sale are from Japan? I wonder why.
Hi there, Any reason why they would not work here? they are dual mains voltage, or do the japan ones only have a 110V supply?
Anyone..?

I have a Taiwanese model that works perfectly fine in the US--luckily the electrical is both 110v. That's the big trick to watch out for. The only difference otherwise is the remote hasbeen a little bit reconfigured... and the menus are differently laid out...so luckily I knew someone who knew the language to set menus to English. Oh, and the firmware is different so if you get one from Japan make sure you contact Oppo support to get the proper firmware (mine was TW prefix).

Last edited:
I keep hoping with the return interest in physical media that Oppo will re-enter the market...but the staff there thinks that's 0% possibility sadly..
Oppo made such incredible gear at a decent price that the A/V universe will never be the same without them. I know they had their reasons for dropping out, just like Shure did from the turntable cartridge market, but so many of us mourn their passing that a resurrection would be a miracle. Imagine if Oppo made a pre-pro!

I have just the one, OPPO BDP-83SE SPECIAL EDITION with Audiocom Stage 2 Upgrade & Superclock 4.

What a machine! A true universal player (unlike the Sony X800M2 a brilliant deck which has been completely hobbled by Sony :()

I use the Oppo just as an audio player in my Man Cave system for CD/SACD & DVDA discs, analogue out for stereo & HDMI for MCH.
It doesn't read Blu-Rays any more, even though I replaced the laser, which are getting really hard to find in the UK now.

For all the modern stuff I use a dedicated mini PC with Foobar feeding USB into a Topping Dac for stereo & HDMI to a Denon AVR for MCH

I have just the one, OPPO BDP-83SE SPECIAL EDITION with Audiocom Stage 2 Upgrade & Superclock 4.

What a machine! A true universal player (unlike the Sony X800M2 a brilliant deck which has been completely hobbled by Sony :()

I use the Oppo just as an audio player in my Man Cave system for CD/SACD & DVDA discs, analogue out for stereo & HDMI for MCH.
It doesn't read Blu-Rays any more, even though I replaced the laser, which are getting really hard to find in the UK now.

For all the modern stuff I use a dedicated mini PC with Foobar feeding USB into a Topping Dac for stereo & HDMI to a Denon AVR for MCH
I've a 103 & 203, a Yamaha BD-A1040 & a SonyX800Mk2. I've been using the Sony to preserve the Oppos & Yamaha. The Sony plays most discs as expected but is hampered by no on-machine display and has probably the worst on-screen display & interface I've come across - its a pain to use.

I have a Taiwanese model that works perfectly fine in the US--luckily the electrical is both 110v. That's the big trick to watch out for. The only difference otherwise is the remote hasbeen a little bit reconfigured... and the menus are differently laid out...so luckily I knew someone who knew the language to set menus to English. Oh, and the firmware is different so if you get one from Japan make sure you contact Oppo support to get the proper firmware (mine was TW prefix).
IMG_7945.jpeg

My original remote is on the right. I purchased the one on the left on eBay a few years back. Both remotes work great. These days I pretty much only use an OPPO remote to control my ChinOPPO display.

View attachment 108659
My original remote is on the right. I purchased the one on the left on eBay a few years back. Both remotes work great.
The one on the left is identical to the one that came with my 105. I guess the Netflix/VUDU buttons don't do you any good. By I appreciate the built in streaming services on the 105 & use them almost just as much as spinning discs. But I use the Oppo phone app more than the physical remote cuz I figure, as has been discussed, a pain to replace the remote.

I have an 83 in my office, a 105 in the family room for music and movies, and a 205 I have never opened. I bought two of the 205s when I heard the bad news, and later sold one to cover the cost of both. The lack of 4K means I have yet to watch my Talking Heads SMS in 4K. Indecision is killing me:).

Sold the bdp 83 a few years ago. Still have the bdp 93, bdp103 and bdp 203. All work perfectly. The 103 is the only/separate source into a tube amplifier set
up. Works fantastic as we use the oppo remote as a volume control as well. ( Decware amp) The 93 is in a bedroom, the 203 is the main front room room home theater set up. Love these machines! Wish they never stopped manufacturing/selling them.

Last edited:
They were still in business as of recently. You pay a flat fee based on the model, you pay for shipping to them. They repair and send back to you with no shipping charges added. At least that's the way they used to do it. A few years ago I think it cost me about $40 bucks to send in my DV-970HD for repairs. They fixed it and had it on it's way back the same day!
They are still in business. After I inquired about my 970hd, 83 & 93, they sent me 3 links to buy out of warranty service for each of them. The 83 & 93 are $119.00ea and the 970HD is $59.00, basically $300.00 for parts and labor plus return shipping. It's great to have service still on these units. Shoot the 970HD is 18 Years old.

They are still in business. After I inquired about my 970hd, 83 & 93, they sent me 3 links to buy out of warranty service for each of them. The 83 & 93 are $119.00ea and the 970HD is $59.00, basically $300.00 for parts and labor plus return shipping. It's great to have service still on these units. Shoot the 970HD is 18 Years old.
Among the very finest outfits. The only time I can remember a hiccup with any models we own, was the bdp 83. I called them about it and the phone was answered very quickly. Told me a firmware was quickly being released in a few more days, and it worked perfectly til I sold it a few years later.. The other 3..not a single problem ever. I should have just kept the bdb 83 too. All our our gear is like new. Still have boxes and packaging except for the 103.

View attachment 108659
My original remote is on the right. I purchased the one on the left on eBay a few years back. Both remotes work great. These days I pretty much only use an OPPO remote to control my ChinOPPO display.
I ordered the remote on the left from eBay for my 83 and 93. It works perfectly on both. But one question... do these models support flac files from USB? I can't seem to get either one to play them.

I ordered the remote on the left from eBay for my 83 and 93. It works perfectly on both. But one question... do these models support flac files from USB? I can't seem to get either one to play them.
The 93 certainly does, but not gapless. Works fine on my 95.

Back