Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition If you are like me you could add in those deeper tracks that you love (some are even better than the "hits")!
I know what you mean. I prefer the entire side 2 of The Best Of Bread more than the hit-filled side 1. Side 2 holds together with a a great sequencing of songs. There's power pop on side 2 that is greatly lacking on side 1.

For me I would add "Proper Stranger" and "When Friends Fall Out" while deleting "New Mother Nature" but keeping "No Sugar Tonight".
Proper Stranger is such a great tune that I had forgotten that it wasn't on the best-of compilation.

I would also replace "No Time" with the long version from "Canned Wheat"
Blasphemy! :ROFLMAO: That hit single version was my retirement anthem. Gotta have both versions!

Proper Stranger is such a great tune that I had forgotten that it wasn't on the best-of compilation.
It was also the flip side of "No Time", most Guess Who singles were actually double sided hits in Canada. The single version of "When Friends Fall Out" was also a hit but it now sounds slightly odd/different when you're used to the album version.

If I was making a stereo best of I would include a few of the Quality records singles as well! My faves are the rockin' tunes like "Shakin' All Over", "Tossin' & Turning", "Clock On The Wall" and "It's My Pride".

Yes those DV releases are value priced! I hope that the rest of Guess Who Quads get released even if they are less than stellar mixes. In particular I want "Power in the Music".
Agree. As you say the Quads are apparently fake mixes, but it would be nice to have high quality SACD stereo versions of those great records.

Agree. As you say the Quads are apparently fake mixes, but it would be nice to have high quality SACD stereo versions of those great records.

That's correct, the quad mixes of Artificial Paradise, Flavours and Power in the Music are all poorly-done upmixes of the stereo mixes, and last time we spoke about The Guess Who, Mike told me he had no interest in doing these albums. So Long, Bannatyne and Live at the Paramount were never released in quad; D-V had Sony search for unreleased quad mixes of these two albums, but nothing was found..

In my opinion the Best of, Vol. II quad mix is a must-own (it's on the same D-V disc as the underrated Rockin') if you like those post-Bachman Guess Who albums. Every track on that album was remixed, even the ones from albums that had standalone quad release, and 8 of the 10 tracks are from albums never released in quad: two from a non-album single, three from So Long, Bannatyne, one from Live at the Paramount, and two from Artificial Paradise.

If you want nice stereo masterings of the non-quad albums, the Iconoclassic CDs released over the last 10 years or so (mastered by Vic Anesini) are really good sounding and include some bonus tracks.

If I was making a stereo best of I would include a few of the Quality records singles as well! My faves are the rockin' tunes like "Shakin' All Over", "Tossin' & Turning", "Clock On The Wall" and "It's My Pride".
Don't miss out on the heart-warming version of "Pretty Blue Eyes" that may feature Walter Brennan.

Enoch Light & The Light BrigadeSPANISH STRINGS

working on a conversion of this one in CD-4 and would love to have it from D-V (maybe a twofer with another similar one.)
It's really a great discrete sounding affair with all sorts of percussion, horns (Doc Severinsen), harpsichord, and other orchestral instruments worked into the pieces in a marvelous Quadraphonic soundscape, along with Tony Mottola's guitar. The only thing that concerns me about some of these Tony Mottola releases is I can sometimes get a kind of lower midrange distortion out of his guitar playing, like heavy strums etc.; it almost sounds like it was recorded too hot, or my CD-4 LP is just not in totally pristine condition somehow. Anyone else have this one or other Mottola CD-4's that can address or confirm this, I'd be interested to hear about it please.

The inside gatefold has a song by song instrument breakdown (I believe directed towards the stereo version though, as it just mentions left or right positions and nothing about front to rear, which there most definitely is that distinction on the Quad.)

*also, no Poll thread for this one that I could find, so I'm posting about it here for a recommendation (I'd vote a 9 if there was a Poll :))

SPANISH STRINGS CD-4 FRONT.jpg

Here's what my converted Sides 1 & 2 wavs look like in Audacity

SIDE 1 SPANISH STRINGS.jpg

SIDE 2 SPANISH STRINGS.jpg

Back