The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Convince me why its a good idea to preorder this.... What's the logic?

I don't do it much myself, but sometimes it pays to get a really good price - remember all those crazy fluctuations on the Roxy Music set (some lucky people got it for like $89 instead of $180+ or whatever it goes for now), or when the Fleetwood Mac '75 album was like $50 from amazon.uk? I'm sure there are other examples as well. Sometimes the deals present themselves at the pre-order stage, while other times they show up long after (White Album on Black Friday, the recent blowout of GnR for like $40 from the band's site, etc).

I suspect this one may outsell TWA and Pepper as it's much cheaper to begin with, but yeah, it'll be around for a while. I only wish they'd print more Tull and Marillion sets, or AF SACDs...

I don't do it much myself, but sometimes it pays to get a really good price - remember all those crazy fluctuations on the Roxy Music set (some lucky people got it for like $89 instead of $180+ or whatever it goes for now), or when the Fleetwood Mac '75 album was like $50 from amazon.uk? I'm sure there are other examples as well. Sometimes the deals present themselves at the pre-order stage, while other times they show up long after (White Album on Black Friday, the recent blowout of GnR for like $40 from the band's site, etc).

I suspect this one may outsell TWA and Pepper as it's much cheaper to begin with, but yeah, it'll be around for a while. I only wish they'd print more Tull and Marillion sets, or AF SACDs...
I think I got Lennon's Imagine for like $40 on a pre-order... Hopeful low price for a new product, without the wait, is the draw, IMO...

I think I got Lennon's Imagine for like $40 on a pre-order... Hopeful low price for a new product, without the wait, is the draw, IMO...
That would be the only reason for me... a crazy cheap price. Imagine for $40 was a good deal. Anyone thinking the France offer is crazy cheap?

GOS is indeed a madman across the whatsit! 🤣

however i present to you... exhibit A...

Mike Oldfield's "Crises" box set with the 5.1.

that wee thingymajig went outta print superduperultrablinkandyoumissedit quick!!!

it seemingly got reprinted or someone found a boxful in the back of a broom cupboard or something and reared its pretty little head once more briefly on Amazon before going OOP niftyquicklysupercalitubularbelladocious.. never to be seen at RRP again!!! 🤣

now i've said all that crap it'll get re-released next week!! ha!! 🤩

I'd really love to get one of those "Crises" box sets, but it's way too much for me right now

:oops:

There have been quite a few "Fan 5.1 mixes" created from stems of this album floating around for many years. I hope that the real thing does not disappoint when compared to those mixes, but even if it does you know I'm getting it. :)

I'm sure this official 5.1 mix will be better than any of the "fan 5.1 mixes" because:

a) The mix is sourced straight from the original multi-track tapes (no loss of quality along the way)
b) Giles and Sam Okell have proved with both "Sgt Pepper" and (especially) the White Album that they are not afraid to 'go for it' with surround sound.

I'm particularly interested to see how the Atmos mix will differ from the traditional 5.1 mix

Announcement day should be tomorrow I hear!

:)

Huh?!?

What is THIS?

1565245813959.png

Well I've gone and done it! I've ordered from Amazon France, It's my first order from any Amazon other than Amazon UK, I had no idea you could log in as if it was the UK site and order just as quickly and easily, it already knew my address and payment card details just like UK. I couldn't read any of the text about the order but the pictures looked nice so I clicked a few buttons and I've now had an email confirmation (I think it's a confirmation) €80.08 (£73.76) so now I can sit back and smugly await it's delivery.

Back