The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs. Surround is getting it for me via ImportCDs. But I won't get it until Christmas. Talk about torture...knowing that it is sitting in a closet unopened while my QQ colleagues revel in the discussion.

I worked out a deal with Mrs. Surround...She agreed to give me my DV SACD's before my birthday and the Abbey Road 50th set before Christmas! The quid pro quo is that I buy her a fancy camera as a combined birthday / Christmas present and also give it to her early. Hey, I'm way behind monetarily on this deal but desperate times call for desperate measures. So yes @Goona, 21 days left and counting. :SB:SB:QQlove:SG:rocks

I worked out a deal with Mrs. Surround...She agreed to give me my DV SACD's before my birthday and the Abbey Road 50th set before Christmas! The quid pro quo is that I buy her a fancy camera as a combined birthday / Christmas present and also give it to her early. Hey, I'm way behind monetarily on this deal but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I'd say regardless of monetary fairness, you are a shrewd businessman indeed ⚖

Personally, I don’t give a crap about demos. I know a lot of people do but, overall, I would prefer the final mix. Do I listen to demos? Sure, if they’re included. But, usually, only once. If that. Just like many of us here, I spend all this money just to get a surround mix. As others have stated, the XTC and Yes (Surround Series) releases are the best as far as product content and price.

ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET. ARE WE THERE YET.??????????????????

Just checked the moose (ship date) and what's listed are the words "Not Currently Available" 🤔 don't know if they've reached an allotted number for pre-order but you can't put the title into the cart. I'm good though at the 83.00 price. Probably shipping in 16-17 days to receive it before Saturday The 28th.

Great question!

My favorite sounding pressing is MoFi 14 LP & Geodisc LP box: https://www.rootsvinylguide.com/eba...l-low-212-unplayed-14-lp-master-recordings-nm
LP's are same titles as in EMI blue LP box, EXCEPT add MMT, minus Rarities LP. Of course, MoFi's sound much better. Ortofon moving coil cartridge makes them breathtaking!

MoFi box is individually numbered. Limited to 15,000 copies. Album jackets are photos of the boxes that the master reels are stored in w/notations circa '82. Ex: 7/24/73 Safety copy. There is an LP size booklet included w/full size reproductions of LP covers, including gatefolds. Original price: $325. It recently sold for $999 used. There is a sealed box which seller is offering for $3500. We sold out instantly in my store and were able to get some more. After that, we took backorders subject to availablity. Sadly, few backorders were filled.

Unbelievably, I got mine for free! We were a MoFi dealer and they were running a contest. I also won over 100 MoFi individual titles. I kept a handfull, which were the only ones I didn't already own. Fortunately, a friend who owned several record stores gave me store credit for most of them. I did the same thing in our store. It financed my Concord HPL 130 https://www.facebook.com/1637959449794646/photos/concord-hpl-130/1658935914363666/w/HPQ 90 dbx module https://www.facebook.com/1637959449794646/photos/concord-hpl-130/1658935914363666/and dbx 224. Not a bad haul!

MoFi LP (individual release) sounds the same, but has yellow "Original Master Recordings" band w/usual cover.

IMHO, MoFi LP's are the best sounding Beatles to date. Perhaps the hi-res versions in the box sets sound better. I need to do some a/b'ing of these. The early albums are REAL STEREO (from 3 track masters). Sadly, MMT has a couple electronic stereo recreations on all LP versions, including these. The only LP MMT w/REAL STEREO on ALL tracks is the German LP: https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Magical-Mystery-Tour-Plus-Other-Songs/release/910326
There is no gatefold nor booklet on the German MMT LP. MMT is ALL real stereo on all offical CD's. MoFi did release ALL real 2ch mixes on their cassette MMT. IMHO, the German MMT LP is the best one.

Any Beatles CD's labeled "Original Master Recordings" are boots or counterfeits!!

I also grabbed a Toshiba/EMI CD in'83: https://www.popsike.com/The-Beatles...83-1st-Press-BLACK-TRIANGLE/301953421383.html
A flat transfer official release! A week later it was pulled, NOT a two years as the Popslike listing here contends. It was a few years until Abbey Road was released officially on CD. Imagine a room full of hi-fi pros sitting in my rec room lamenting no Beatles on CD. My friend John immediately went to one of my CD sheves and produced this disc. Jaws dropped! I still have it.

I love the revised Abbey Road cover w/Daleks! Will that be the cover on the new box set?

Thanks to Roots Vinyl Guide, Popslike, Discogs and Facebook for the pix, etc. I'm too damn lazy to snap pix of mine. Hey, I need to eat breakfast!

Yes I have had the MoFi box since its release as well. This was my go-to version (having made cassette dubs of all the albums and added what eventually became the “Past Masters” tracks as “bonus” tracks on the cassettes in the chronologically correct/best places and replacing fake stereo with real stereo from other sources where I could find them) for years.

(The first LPs are “real stereo” except for a few songs on Please Please Me, which are fake stereo)

I thought the ‘87 CDs were weak in comparison. These LPs were the sources of most of the infamous Dr. Ebbetts dubs that floated around for years.

The 2009 remasters have replaced these in my sonic collection. But the only-played-once-or-twice boxed set remains on my shelf. :)

BA8ED783-8304-485E-9B90-5F31DB479681.jpeg

Last edited:
Well if I understand correctly what was written about the surround mix, that just sucks
Maybe. It also sounds a bit like Mr Fremer doesn’t know what he’s talking about. “So clean and orderly there was nothing for Mr. Martin to do anything with?” WTF does that even mean? It’s still an 8-track recording. Backing vocals all on one track or not, there should still be plenty to create a surround mix with.

So either it’s a poor surround mix and Fremer spent a few sentences coming up with an explanation for it that makes no sense, or it’s fine and he was talking about something else.

Yes I have had the MoFi box since its release as well. This was my go-to version (having made cassette dubs of all the albums and added what eventually became the “Past Masters” tracks as “bonus” tracks on the cassettes in the chronologically correct/best places and replacing fake stereo with real stereo from other sources where I could find them) for years.

(The first LPs are “real stereo” except for a few songs on Please Please Me, which are fake stereo)

I thought the ‘87 CDs were weak in comparison. These LPs were the sources of most of the infamous Dr. Ebbetts dubs that floated around for years.

The 2009 remasters have replaced these in my sonic collection. But the only-played-once-or-twice boxed set remains on my shelf. :)

View attachment 43136
[/QUOTE]

I agree the MFSL lps sound outstanding. I to had the MFSL Beatles boxed set back in the day but eventually sold it when times got tough. But I did make high quality metal cassette tapes of all the Lps on Nak CR-7A & Dragon decks. Lps played on Sony PS-X800 turntable w/ Shure V15xMR cartridge. ....a rather time consuming process.
....though I wish I would have kept the Beatles boxed set now..... I still have tapes & am amazed it their great sound!

Back