The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree the MFSL lps sound outstanding. I to had the MFSL Beatles boxed set back in the day but eventually sold it when times got tough. But I did make high quality metal cassette tapes of all the Lps on Nak CR-7A & Dragon decks. Lps played on Sony PS-X800 turntable w/ Shure V15xMR cartridge. ....a rather time consuming process.
....though I wish I would have kept the Beatles boxed set now..... I still have tapes & am amazed it their great sound!

I have the MoFi set. I immediately taped them to 7-1/2" reels when I got them. Both the reels and the machine are long gone now, but the MoFi box remains nicely squirreled away in a closet. I'll never forget that first day, Christmas 1983, when I played Please Please Me. I Saw Her Standing There jumped right out of the speakers...simply outstanding.

Forty years ago, I bought the UK blue LP box. It prompted me to create a "Beatles in chronological order" series of cassettes. All tracks were sequenced by recording date (not release date) of the tracks themselves. Ortofon MC 20 phono cartridge, TDK SA and Dolby B were used. Those cassttes still sound pretty damn good.

In the ensuing years, I've vowed to make a new series based on more comprehensive session dates and notes. I've hoped to do an updated version of this project, using a recent version of MC 20, MoFi LP's, Rarities LP's, and German MMT LP, transferred to CD-R and/or dbx cassettes, Don't hold your breath.

With AR 50 coming and hoping to finally pull the trigger on US albums mono/stereo CD box, I expect to be innundated with the Fab Four for many months to come. Besides, I'm lazy and have stacks of things other than Beatles I've yet to play. Bad dog!!

Last edited:
Forty years ago, I bought the UK blue LP box. It prompted me to create a "Beatles in chronological order" series of cassettes. All tracks were sequenced by recording date (not release date) of the tracks themselves. Ortofon MC 20 phono cartridge, TDK SA and Dolby B were used. Those cassttes still sound pretty damn good.

In the ensuing years, I've vowed to make a new series based on more comprehensive session dates and notes. I've hoped to do an updated version of this project, using a recent version of MC 20, MoFi LP's, Rarities LP's, and German MMT LP, transferred to CD-R and/or dbx cassettes, Don't hold your breath.

With AR 50 coming and hoping to finally pull the trigger on US albums mono/stereo CD box, I expect to be innundated with the Fab Four for many months to come. Besides, I'm lazy and have stacks of things other than Beatles I've yet to play. Bad dog!!
When you use recording date, which recording date? Most Beatles' songs were worked on/recorded on different dates, with takes, dubs, mixes, etc happening over time until the final mono and/or stereo masters were created.

Go to the head of the class, kokishin!

I considered addressing that issue in my previous post. For brevity, I decided not to.

OK, to answer your question: it was inevitably a judgement call. I tried to go by the last session date of the take used for the final record. There were exceptions, such as a background vocal overdub done many months later. So, I tried to asess what may have been incidental. Also, I didn't have as much info in '79 as I did a few years later, much less today. A couple albums had partial recording dates, so I had to guess.

Clear as mud, ain't it?

When you use recording date, which recording date? Most Beatles' songs were worked on/recorded on different dates, with takes, dubs, mixes, etc happening over time until the final mono and/or stereo masters were created.

Your right Baggins 15 days and if Giles gets it as good as this one we are in for a treat 20190911_202508.jpg

Last edited:
Go to the head of the class, kokishin!

I considered addressing that issue in my previous post. For brevity, I decided not to.

OK, to answer your question: it was inevitably a judgement call. I tried to go by the last session date of the take used for the final record. There were exceptions, such as a background vocal overdub done many months later. So, I tried to asess what may have been incidental. Also, I didn't have as much info in '79 as I did a few years later, much less today. A couple albums had partial recording dates, so I had to guess.

Clear as mud, ain't it?
Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. -- John Lennon

Good luck on your endeavors.

I too fall into the camp of "slightly worried" about the fact that Moose now says "not currently available". I suspect our concerns are for those of us who pre-ordered from Moose. Will we get our copy on day of release, or somehow, has something happened and Moose won't come through for quite some time...

Which would suck...

I emailed them this morning, using my pre-order as an example. I'll let you all know what response I get.

14 days 2 weeks boys and girls Time to start gettting excited

Who's counting, Goona? Mine's coming from ImportCD at the 'nice price ....' so when it arrives ..... it arrives. In the meantime, I have thousands of surround discs to choose from ......... And hopefully, LET IT BE with a Native UHD4K transfer of the film will be next.

Back