The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez, I thought Fremer liked SACD and DVD-A? From a review of his in Sound & Vision way back in April 2005:

"Well-recorded 5.1-channel SACDs, such as those from Linn and Chesky, are rendered with a spatial and tonal effortlessness one associates with expensive 2-channel audiophile music systems—though, of course, with greater three-dimensionality mixed in 5.1..."

"I recently reviewed a double-LP set featuring Dylan songs remade as reggae called Is it Rolling Bob? on my music review Web site, and when a DualDisc version arrived the other day (Silverline 284603-2) featuring a 5.1-channel DVD-Audio mix of the album, I popped it in the player and was pleasantly surprised by the taut, muscular bass; the shimmering, non-sizzly cymbals; and the convincing physicality of the vocals. Hearing instruments coming from the sides is not my idea of a sonic thrill, but this mix made it more fun than faux..."

Oh, and Michael Fremer loves Lexicon Logic7...and youse guys know how much I love Logic7. From the same 2005 review:

...but Lexicon's Logic7 algorithm for deriving 7.1 channels from 5.1 sources was startlingly good. As advertised in the instruction manual, it provided "remarkable improvement compared to other decoders." Also as advertised, it ". . .increases the perceived length and sense of envelopment of the listening space." For the first time in my space, a pair of ES/EX rear speakers actually provided a worthwhile sonic enhancement instead of a distraction. The rear stage coherence was remarkable, with a smooth curtain of sound wrapping seamlessly around from the side speakers to the rears. Individual images appeared convincingly and with pinpoint precision in that space, and when the source material was good enough, the sensation of being in another space altogether became almost disorienting..."

So how could I ever doubt my best buddy Mikie? 😁😁😁

Well, citing Chesky and Linn, two audiophile labels who ONLY employ ambient rears would be SACD mch darlings to Analogue Mike, who, if I'm not mistaken once reviewed a $60K step up transformer for Stereophile calling it the BEST HE HAS EVER HEARD. And if you don't know what a step up transformer is ..... look it up.

Well, citing Chesky and Linn, two audiophile labels who ONLY employ ambient rears would be SACD mch darlings to Analogue Mike, who, if I'm not mistaken once reviewed a $60K step up transformer for Stereophile calling it the BEST HE HAS EVER HEARD. And if you don't know what a step up transformer is ..... look it up.

Hey, I'm retired from the power business, so I don't do step-up (or step-down) transformers any more! :SB This one below, specially designed for Atmos systems, ;) ought to improve sound quality. But those cooling fans might be annoying during soft passages...

transf.jpg

Hey, I'm retired from the power business, so I don't do step-up (or step-down) transformers any more! :SB This one below, specially designed for Atmos systems, ;) ought to improve sound quality. But those cooling fans might be annoying during soft passages...

View attachment 42747
Looks like it can stand up to the weather ( Outdoor installation ) as pictured here, so fans won't be an issue! :)

Here’s a podcast “deep dive” into the Abbey Road listening session from the “socks and sandals brigade” podcast, Fab4Free4All.

These guys are close listeners and genial talkers. They first discuss ATMOS at about six minutes in before switching to talk of the stereo mix. Spoiler: they liked it. They also discuss it in more detail beginning at 40 minutes. They mention a *possible* theatrical listening event (like Pepper).

Direct link to audio:
http://archive.org/download/100Fab4free4all/207-fab4free4all.mp3
Link to their show, including this and past episodes.

http://www.fab4free4all.com/
The bulk of the episode is about the stereo mixes but they are more specific than any of the pieces I’ve read so far. I believe some of the pinpointed stereo elements that they highlight point to compelling aspects of the ATMOS and/or 5.1 mix(es). More than anything, they are specific. They know the original mixes well but are interested in rather than dismissive of new mixes while managing to express preferences as that: personal preferences.

I also recommend their deep dives into the previous super deluxe editions.

Last edited:
Here’s a podcast “deep dive” into the Abbey Road listening session from the “socks and sandals brigade” podcast, Fab4Free4All.

These guys are close listeners and genial talkers. They first discuss ATMOS at about six minutes in before switching to talk of the stereo mix. Spoiler: they liked it. They also discuss it in more detail beginning at 40 minutes. They mention a *possible* theatrical listening event (like Pepper).

Direct link to audio:
http://archive.org/download/100Fab4free4all/207-fab4free4all.mp3
Link to their show, including this and past episodes.

http://www.fab4free4all.com/
The bulk of the episode is about the stereo mixes but they are more specific than any of the pieces I’ve read so far. I believe some of the specific stereo elements that they highlight point to compelling aspects of the ATMOS and/or 5.1 mix(es). More than anything, they are specific. They know the original mixes well but are interested in rather than dismissive of the new mixes while managing to express preferences as that: personal preferences.

I also recommend their deep dives into the previous super deluxe editions and 1+.
Excellent cannot wait have Atmos ready to go

These are for the deluxe set, one has the poster, one does not.
All of the cd sets are SHM-CDs

Believe it or not Perp not too long ago I found an autographed Cheryl Ladd record album at a thrift store.
Still haven't played it.
Great poster though I was a little more partial to Suzanne Somers Farrah wasn't too bad either.

Believe it or not Perp not too long ago I found an autographed Cheryl Ladd record album at a thrift store.
Still haven't played it.
Great poster though I was a little more partial to Suzanne Somers Farrah wasn't too bad either.
I did have a Farrah Fawcett t-shirt at one time but I was in love with Cheryl Ladd the most. I always like Jaclyn Smith too but never had any thing with her pic.

Don’t know how I ever missed this pic of Cheryl. Wowser!!! She was definitely a, SEX SYMBOL!

1566867078374.jpeg

Sorry! Back on topic.

Back