The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giphy.gif
Huh. Looks like #17 to me...

It isn't like the game in Buffalo is the only one this weekend. I'm groovin' that the Lions have another home game. And everywhere I read they are favorites to win. I'm hoping the best for them. The Lions come on 1st at 2pm my time Sunday. The Chiefs at 5:30 same day. Amazingly my only soccer game to attend is Saturday. Wooo! Total NFL indulgence.

Oh & I know there's other games I'll want to watch. But the 49'ers play on Sat the same time I'll be at the soccer game. Same for Ravens but I haven't checked to see if it's even carried here locally.

Here are the rankings for the eight starting quarterbacks remaining in the playoff field:

8. Baker Mayfield, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Mayfield is clearly eighth on this list, but that's not really because Mayfield hasn't been good this season. He resurrected his career on a one-year deal with the Buccaneers. He had stretches of brilliant play, like posting a perfect passer rating in a game at Lambeau Field. Mayfield struggled in the final two games of the regular season but was sharp in a win over the Eagles. Mayfield wasn't a top eight quarterback all season, but he's a fine inclusion in the surviving playoff field.

7. Jared Goff, Detroit Lions

It's probably not fair to Goff to have him this low. He has played well since being traded from the Los Angeles Rams. He does have a Super Bowl appearance. He's consistently underestimated. He's in this spot because the remaining field of quarterbacks is really strong. It's also arguable Goff should be ranked a couple spots higher. He did have 4,575 yards and 30 touchdowns after all.

6. Jordan Love, Green Bay Packers

Over the Packers' last nine games, Love has a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 21-1. His performance in a win over the Dallas Cowboys had to be eye opening to anyone who hadn't been paying attention to Love's hot streak in the second half of the season. Maybe it's unfair to rank him ahead of Goff already, but it's easy to get excited about how he played late in the regular season and against Dallas.

5. Brock Purdy, San Francisco 49ers

Purdy has taken over as the most divisive player in the NFL. Some think he's pretty much a game manager who hit the lottery playing on a phenomenal 49ers team. Others think that he's a big reason the 49ers are as good as they are. He clearly does benefit from great teammates and a fantastic scheme, which makes him hard to rank. Purdy's production is hard to deny, but which quarterbacks ahead of Purdy on this list would you pick him over?

4. C.J. Stroud, Houston Texans​

This is not a normal rookie. It's remarkable how advanced Stroud is in every aspect. He has played in what amounts to two playoff games (Week 18 was a winner-take-all game at Indianapolis on the road), and in those games he was 36 of 47 for 538 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions. That's a 76% completion percentage, an incredible 11.4 yards per attempt and a ridiculous 149.1 passer rating. Maybe he's in for a bad game, but it's hard to predict it. Stroud is already a star.

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen (17) will face off against Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday. (AP Photo/Jeffrey T. Barnes)

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen (17) will face off against Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday. (AP Photo/Jeffrey T. Barnes)

3. Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills

Sure, Allen can get a little too reckless at times and that leads to turnovers. But no quarterback is asked to do more for his offense. And Allen often delivers. He accounted for 44 touchdowns in the regular season. He made huge plays against the Steelers in a wild-card win, including a 52-yard touchdown run. Allen does more with less than any other quarterback in the NFL, and it's justified to have him at No. 1 in this list. But it's a pretty strong field with just eight quarterbacks left.

2. Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens​

Jackson is going to win MVP for the second time, and that's a fine pick. He's a special player deserving of being in the elite group that has multiple MVPs. The narrative that Jackson can't win in the playoffs is overdone but Jackson hasn't been great in three postseason appearances. He has three touchdown passes and five interceptions. The Ravens are 1-3 in those games. There's only one way to end the talk of his postseason struggles, and the Ravens have the team to make a deep run. And Jackson is certainly capable of being as great in the playoffs as he has been in the regular season.

1. Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs​

Mahomes did not have a better season than Jackson, Allen or probably Purdy. His supporting cast wasn't that good, and Mahomes wasn't great in many games either. For most of the season he was talked up as an MVP candidate and that was ridiculous from Week 1 on. Aside from a 424-yard, four-touchdown game against the Chargers in Week 7, Mahomes didn't have one game over 306 yards and had just one game with more than two passing touchdowns.

And yet, if we were drafting quarterbacks for the rest of these playoffs, you'd probably pick Mahomes. There would be a good argument to be made for a few others, but Mahomes would be the right choice. And that's why it's hard to cross the Chiefs off the list as a possible Super Bowl Champion
Nice Ricky! Subjective list but what I especially like is.... 🎵Love Over Goff🎵..the closely titled song by Dire Straits is playing in my head!

Last edited:
It isn't like the game in Buffalo is the only one this weekend. I'm groovin' that the Lions have another home game. And everywhere I read they are favorites to win. I'm hoping the best for them. The Lions come on 1st at 2pm my time Sunday. The Chiefs at 5:30 same day. Amazingly my only soccer game to attend is Saturday. Wooo! Total NFL indulgence.

Oh & I know there's other games I'll want to watch. But the 49'ers play on Sat the same time I'll be at the soccer game. Same for Ravens but I haven't checked to see if it's even carried here locally.
Wooo😮....maybe that soccer game on Sat should be canceled!..... or at the least
Played on Sunday?

British soccer post link :D
https://www.mvtimes.com/2024/01/17/watching-nfl-playoffs-2/
— there are games on both Saturday and Sunday!). Or at least, that’s what I want to believe. I do love watching football, and during the season, there are games on Mondays, Thursdays, and of course, all day on Sundays. But many times, these games are matches between the likes of the Patriots and the Jets … underwhelming matchups, to say the least. The playoffs are a win-or-go-home situation.
(My prediction, or rather wishful thinking, is the Detroit Lions versus the Buffalo Bills (sorry, G.B.).
By Dave Plath - January 17, 2024
NFL-LOGO.jpg

NFL divisional round watchability: Ranking the 4 games by which we're looking forward to most​

Frank Schwab
In terms of excitement, wild-card weekend could have been better.
At least we did identify Los Angeles Rams at Detroit Lions as the game to watch in this space last week. That was the one thriller in the first round, as the Lions moved on with a 24-23 win. The other five were decided by an average of 20.6 points. The second-closest game was a 14-point win by the Buffalo Bills. There was certainly intrigue, especially with the NFC East teams taking miserable losses, but not great games.
Maybe that sets up a great divisional round. There are certainly some fun matchups. Here are the four games for the divisional round, ranked by the watchability of each:

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Detroit Lions​

The beauty of the divisional round is we get the best teams in the league all on the same weekend. If there's an outlier in this elite eight, it's a Buccaneers team that went 9-8 and won a weak NFC South. Still, the Buccaneers did have some good performances late in the season, their defense is capable and Baker Mayfield looked good on Monday night against the Eagles. And the Lions have the best story going in these playoffs. Their home crowd should be even louder on Sunday afternoon. If this is our fourth-best game, we're in good shape.
DETROIT, MICHIGAN - JANUARY 14: Jared Goff #16 of the Detroit Lions claps during a time out during the game against the Los Angeles Rams at Ford Field on January 14, 2024 in Detroit, Michigan. The Lions beat the Rams 24-23. (Photo by Lauren Leigh Bacho/Getty Images)

The Lions hadn't won a playoff game in 32 years until their 24-23 victory over the Rams on Sunday. Now they host the Buccaneers with a spot in the NFC championship on the line. (Lauren Leigh Bacho/Getty Images)

3. Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens

It was a tough call between No. 2 and No. 3. Texans vs. Ravens could be very entertaining. On one side there's the soon-to-be NFL MVP Lamar Jackson, trying to build a playoff resume to match his fantastic regular-season one, with a Ravens team that looked dominant for much of the season. He'll face arguably the best rookie quarterback in NFL history. C.J. Stroud reset the bar for what is possible from a rookie quarterback in the NFL. He has raised his game even higher the last two weeks, a winner-take-all Week 18 game against the Colts that got the Texans in the playoffs, then a fantastic performance in a playoff win over the Browns. The Texans have come a long way since the Ravens beat them 25-9 in the opener. It'll be a great showdown between two of the NFL's top quarterbacks. Maybe this game should have been higher.

2. Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers

These two teams have had some playoff brawls before. This matchup is a lot more intriguing after what happened last Sunday. The Packers destroyed a Dallas Cowboys team that looked like the 49ers' only true competition in the NFC. Jordan Love continued his incredible hot streak, putting up a 157.2 passer rating. That overshadowed Aaron Jones' big game, which continued his own hot streak. The Packers barely made the playoffs but they're hot now and based on how they looked at Dallas, maybe they can challenge the 49ers too. The 49ers are a dominant, fun team with plenty of stars. They spent most of the season looking like the Super Bowl favorite before the Ravens smacked them in a late-season showdown. They're still capable of winning a Super Bowl. But they need to get past the Packers first.

1. Kansas City Chiefs at Buffalo Bills​

Start here: There is almost an unquestioned big three among quarterbacks in the NFL, and two of them face off on Sunday night. Patrick Mahomes has never played a true road game in the playoffs, and this will be a test. Josh Allen looked great in a win over the Pittsburgh Steelers last week, playing through some rough weather. And there might be more snow this week in Buffalo. The Chiefs and Bills played one of the greatest games in NFL history two years ago, a wild Chiefs comeback that is a big reason Buffalo still hasn't made a Super Bowl since the 1993 season. The Chiefs are trying to build another floor on their growing dynasty, while the Bills are trying to win the first Super Bowl in franchise history for a fan base that is desperate for one. Bills fans understand what it means to finally get the Chiefs in Buffalo, and they will be as raucous as ever.

Maybe the Chiefs and Bills can give us another classic. We're due for one after that lackluster wild-card weekend.

I agree, on paper, the Chiefs-Bills game is the most anticipated match of the weekend. The Mafia has been drooling over this for years and they will show up big time. I just hope the Bills can. Their defence is pretty banged up.

Even though it's snowing like crazy now, Sunday looks to be clear but cold. This may well be another barn burner.

One is the loneliest number... youse guys are great but there's only one other member posted in this thread from my area. So here's a shout-out to @ddahl44 . He last posted at end of Dec so good to see he's still around. So c'mon & jump back in. The convo is fine!

For your viewing pleasure..... The complete Josh Allen Hurdle Collection. Enjoy. And please, none of those, "it's all great till he gets hurt" treatises. They all get hurt at some point, and even doing all this, he's only ever gotten hurt before while he was in the pocket.

Not bad for a kid who had to write to colleges to drum up interest in recruiting him.

Last edited:
For your viewing pleasure..... The complete Josh Allen Hurdle Collection. Enjoy. And please, none of those, "it's all great till he gets hurt" treatises. They all get hurt at some point, and even doing all this, he's only ever gotten hurt before while he was in the pocket.

Not bad for a kid who had to write to colleges to drum up interest in recruiting him.

wow ! one leap that does not clear and the - um - 'boys will be hurting

Back