The Who - Who’s Next SDE series no. 30 (January 17th, 2025)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed…and remember to pay in local currency when buying overseas - the downside of PayPal is they gouge on conversion rates 💸
I see that PayPal allows you to select a different currency, but it appears they still charge a conversion fee. Has that been your experience? Apparently, they also offer a selection between the PayPal conversion fee or your credit card company conversion fee. I've not ordered via SDE directly before, but I'm thinking I want to spring for the standalone BD.

My credit card has also been hacked after the Who purchase, twice on the same day within minutes of the order, thank you for sharing this as it now clearly points the finger at which purchase was responsible for leaking the information, I would suggest contacting SDE and make sure they are firmly aware of this problem. This was using the PayPal option.
I always use PayPal.

If the credit card assigned to your PayPal account has been hacked then this would have to be a PayPal issue as SDE would not know anything about your credit card. Or it's just a coincidence.

My credit card has also been hacked after the Who purchase, twice on the same day within minutes of the order, thank you for sharing this as it now clearly points the finger at which purchase was responsible for leaking the information, I would suggest contacting SDE and make sure they are firmly aware of this problem. This was using the PayPal option.
😡

I always use PayPal.

If the credit card assigned to your PayPal account has been hacked then this would have to be a PayPal issue as SDE would not know anything about your credit card. Or it's just a coincidence.
I have checked my PayPal and found no entries relevant to the purchase which means the PayPal account was not compromised, therefore as discussed with the bank concluded that the two offending SD entries may have occurred through SDE or more probable someone with knowledge of SDE financials or at the shipping merchants. PayPal security is excellent and I have only just began using this card which has its own security measures. Interestingly the two entries are still pending but the monies have been debited from the account.

If people pay for goods using PayPal, I don't understand how the vendor (in this case SDE) would know anything about your credit card surely only PayPal would know about it...

Unless at some point in time you purchased goods from SDE using your credit card.

2nd time for me in the last few months. Definitely after using the SDE Shop online pay system. SDE should definitely do something for us who have had to go through this annoying problem multiple times now. Until then, no more ordering from them.
I was just about to place my order… now I’m giving it a lot of thought. I have to weigh having one of my favorite albums in surround against a possibility that my account might get hacked

For what it's worth, I've had several unsuccessful attempts of somebody trying to use my credit card about 3 months ago. They were in the UK, but so am I. I had used this card at SDE 2-3 times max. I had no issues with my previous card though through which I'd been buying all the SDE releases since inception. Obviously not enough to suggest SDE's fault, but I'll be switching to PayPal for future purchases just in case.

PayPal has been safe for me, and I'm willing to pay the conversion fee for that now. I also froze the "physical" card of it. Close all doors.
PayPal has been safe for me over the years. Plus you very rarely have to fill in your personal details on vendors web sites after clicking on the PayPal button.

In the UK it's good practice to link a credit card to your PayPal account as any purchase over £100.00 is legally protected under Section 75 of The Consumer Credit Act 1974. Maybe other countries offer similar protections.

Although I certainly want this disc, the fact that it won’t actually be available for almost three months is keeping me from pre-ordering. I don’t understand the marketing appeal of putting your money down then waiting that long.

That, and now the concern over a credit card breach is making me wait.

Beware! My credit card was hacked as well in the US shortly after making this purchase. Replacing it is a pain!!!! I did not use PayPal - I certainly will next time. Had fraudulent charges to a health care system in Pakistan!

Although I certainly want this disc, the fact that it won’t actually be available for almost three months is keeping me from pre-ordering. I don’t understand the marketing appeal of putting your money down then waiting that long.

That, and now the concern over a credit card breach is making me wait.

It's not about the appeal but making things manageable for a small-scale operation. This makes the exact demand known, money available upfront and allows enough time for production. It's actually quite genius from Paul that he was able to work out a viable model for a (comparatively) 'hole-in-the-wall' business in the world of big music labels. It might be rough around the edges with the pre-order windows, inability to combine orders, costs of international orders and now the reports of credit card issues. But it's much better to have the 30 releases and counting available with some limitations than not at all.

Is all this credit card hacking attributable to SDE using a third party service for its payment? I failed to read the pages toward the end of this thread, and now I'm regretting having used my credit card. Has anyone reported the problem to SDE and/or gotten a response from them about it?

I might as well add my data point. Bought this release with my Apple Card, was too lazy to do the PayPal song and dance and safari suggested I use it and it would auto fill.

I’ve been checking my statements meticulously since these reports have been coming in and still the only charge on my card of recent is SDE on Tuesday. No other activity.

There’s a very good chance that the cards being used were hacked via other means

I reported the credit card stuff to SDE and this is the response I got:
Anne here from the SDE shop in London

Our web site is secure so you can buy with confidence.
I have checked your details and you don't have an account with you so we are not holding any credit card details.

Even if you did have any account I could not alter anything to do with your card as it is cecire - only you can do that with proper passwords etc.

Hope that is OK.

Anything else I can help with in future then just let me know.

Thanks Anne

Back