WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I have splurged on myself. That's where the closet full of crap from other box sets came from. Like I said, I can afford this. I just can't justify it to myself anymore.
I can’t disagree with anything you say here. I expected a high price on this set. But c’mon, $300 list is over the top. Seems like they only want to sell to the older surround enthusiasts. Why not sell it for less, say $250 list? This would bring it down to below $200 in some places and would be more palatable. Still expensive, but a bit less outrageous. And they might sell a lot more!

With expedited shipping, taxes, etc ImportCD's is charging me $272.06.

Don't really know if the expedited shipping will gain anything, but in for a penny, in for a pound.

EDIT: the list price was $244.27, expedited shipping was $9.99 and the tax @ 7% here in Florida was $17.80.

Oh, I have splurged on myself. That's where the closet full of crap from other box sets came from. Like I said, I can afford this. I just can't justify it to myself anymore.
I understand, but of all the bloated box sets, are you sure you want to put your foot down on this one?

Agreed…I think the key issue here - and this will vary for each person - is at what price you feel you are being ripped off or taken advantage of.
I don’t mind spending money for things I really want…but I don’t like being gouged - i.e. the original price of $350 on The Who website.
What is a reasonable retail price for a new CD these days - $15?
So…10 CD’s @ $15 = $150
1 Blu-Ray @ $30.
We’re up to $180.
Throw in $20 for the book.
$200 seems like a price I can justify…I’ll bite at that price…
But - your mileage may vary…to each his (or her) own…wallet 🤑

Agreed…I think the key issue here - and this will vary for each person - is at what price you feel you are being ripped off or taken advantage of.
I don’t mind spending money for things I really want…but I don’t like being gouged - i.e. the original price of $350 on The Who website.
So…10 CD’s @ $15 = $150
1 Blu-Ray @ $30.
We’re up to $180.
Not to mention that one of the best songs - Bargain - is a Penteo upmix.

I thought I read somewhere on this thread that Pete T replaced/replayed any missing parts himself for this reissue - is that not true of “Bargain”? 🤔
The whole multitrack of "Bargain" couldn't be located. It's not as if Pete was about to re-record everything for that tune...

I thought I read somewhere on this thread that Pete T replaced/replayed any missing parts himself for this reissue - is that not true of “Bargain”? 🤔

The Song Is Over is the song with new overdubs, as only a pre-bounce 8-track is available.

No multitrack is available at all for Bargain.

So…10 CD’s @ $15 = $150
1 Blu-Ray @ $30.
We’re up to $180.

I would say that the reasonable price or the fair price for a CD should depend on the music itself. The music quality, the acceptance of the artists by the customer or the masses, etc.
Would you expect a reasonable standard retail price for other arts, like paintings price per square cm?

We have achieved a standardization of the music industry something like "price per kilo per song", or price for selling unit: The album CD. Or subscription price per streaming platform.

When the prices don't follow that assumed rule of 'price per kilo' we complain.

Just some thoughts...

So…10 CD’s @ $15 = $150
1 Blu-Ray @ $30.
We’re up to $180.
you forgot the tax =-). though it is hard to find places without tax or discounts other then import cds / deep discount.

One good thing about these sets is that they typically don't lose value. So one could reasonably sell some of those for a profit a few years after they're released, if one doesn't like it anymore. Not saying that should be the main motivation, but particularly if you already have stuff you don't really want, it could be a way of getting some of the money back for a set like this.

I would say that the reasonable price or the fair price for a CD should depend on the music itself. The music quality, the acceptance of the artists by the customer or the masses, etc.
Would you expect a reasonable standard retail price for other arts, like paintings price per square cm?

We have achieved a standardization of the music industry something like "price per kilo per song", or price for selling unit: The album CD. Or subscription price per streaming platform.

When the prices don't follow that assumed rule of 'price per kilo' we complain.

Just some thoughts...
That is an interesting thought 💭
Thanks for the perspective…
I personally don’t subscribe to it in this instance, but apparently the record label does…and they are not alone 😉

Back