WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This box was no "bargain" from the day the details were announced. I've been thinking for years that this album deserves the S. Wilson ATMOS treatment, little could I imagine then that I'd opt out due to the pricing model.....
I have bought bought most of the recent box sets for the purpose of ONLY getting the Blu-ray disk embedded somewhere in the box. Prices up to $150-$175.

This is a Box Too Far.

It has too much content for many people who are interested in only the Multi Channel and maybe some remixes in Stereo and some interesting out takes.

I will sadly pass on this Box set, which I was really looking forward to. As will many Multi Channel audio folk.

I’m looking forward to cranking this SW newly mixed & mastered 5.1 album up; and will I feel the punch like I got seeing them live.

I seem to remember John’s Bass lines being much more powerful and detailed live, along with Moon’s drums (even though studio here.) With the added help of the instruments spread around the room more, I’m looking for a whole new sonic experience.

I’m looking forward to cranking this SW newly mixed & mastered 5.1 album up; and will I feel the punch like I got seeing them live.

I seem to remember John’s Bass lines being much more powerful and detailed live, along with Moon’s drums (even though studio here.) With the added help of the instruments spread around the room more, I’m looking for a whole new sonic experience.
Yes - the Japanese SACD sounds as flat and anaemic as many of the MOFI rock SACDs do on my set-up. Looking forward to hearing the blu-ray thunder out of the speakers!

Yes - the Japanese SACD sounds as flat and anaemic as many of the MOFI rock SACDs do on my set-up. Looking forward to hearing the blu-ray thunder out of the speakers!
I remember that SHM-SACD to be quite punchy (except for WGFA for some reason). Turn them up!

I remember that SHM-SACD to be quite punchy (except for WGFA for some reason). Turn them up!
I picked up what appears to be an original UK pressing (Track 2408 102) some months ago and experienced the same thing, there's a noticeable loss of low-end response on WGFA in relation to the other tracks.

I wouldn't call it "flat and anaemic", but I'd argue it is a bit soft/rolled off. A great *source*, but not what I prefer to listen to as-is. I definitely prefer the EQ on the new remaster. It's not bad, it's just not quite as "alive" as I'd like.

As far as WGFA goes, recorded and mixed at different studios (Stargroves/Rolling Stones Mobile vs Olympic, and Island vs Olympic, respectively). For whatever reason, WGFA is noticeably louder on the master than the rest of the album, and that wasn't adjusted for the SACD. Although...I've never found it less punchy.

Best version of the album is a good conversation to have; I really have no idea, I need to check my library of music to even see what versions I own.

I'm just hoping that with this new Steven Wilson release; it will be the new Gold Standard for this album- crankably loud with detail and punchiness 'till the Monolith crumbles 😄

Attachments

• IMG_8682.png
    IMG_8682.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
That's really great that they have dropped the price to E230. Not sure if my math is right, but that's still about $300.

Assuming that the box set remains over $150, I’ll be scouring SHF looking for one of the many surround sound haters looking to sell the BD-A from the box. :smokin

I don't understand why The Surround Sound Haters are selling off the BD-A from any of these big box sets. Isn't the Blu-ray the only option to get high resolution stereo?

Our buddy:

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 7.16.17 AM.jpg

Back