WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot understand the appeal of unboxing videos.
Sometimes the appeal is more for the channel owner as useful content to bring people in when people are searching on a given artist. And then hopefully watch other content or give people a reason to visit their site and purchase something or subscribe to a newsletter. It strikes me as simply a marketing video for a site which is fine... nothing wrong with that.

And I’m sure there are fans who genuinely love unboxing videos as it helps build excitement for something that is imminent. I’m not one of them, though. I hardly pay attention to the non-disc material when I’m doing my own unboxing.

Sometimes the appeal is more for the channel owner as useful content to bring people in when people are searching on a given artist. And then hopefully watch other content or give people a reason to visit their site and purchase something or subscribe to a newsletter. It strikes me as simply a marketing video for a site which is fine... nothing wrong with that.

And I’m sure there are fans who genuinely love unboxing videos as it helps build excitement for something that is imminent. I’m not one of them, though. I hardly pay attention to the non-disc material when I’m doing my own unboxing.
I've done a few unboxing videos on Life in Surround. The main intent being to give people a chance to see what is in the set, so they can experience it, in some way, and not pay if the price is too high -or- decide to purchase if they feel the value is there. I can attest that, sometimes, the sum of the deluxe set experience is a powerful way to engage with an album.

I can attest that, sometimes, the sum of the deluxe set experience is a powerful way to engage with an album.
To date, I find Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase. to be the most impressive, immersive, and compelling deluxe package ever released. While I love the music, the book really enhanced my experience of the album.

To date, I find Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase. to be the most impressive, immersive, and compelling deluxe package ever released. While I love the music, the book really enhanced my experience of the album.
I traded mine (stupidly) to a QQ member (now banned, IIRC), who basically defrauded me - sent me a CD, instead of a MC album.
Even if the MC album were sent, it still would have been a stupid trade.

Live and learn!

I still have the stand-alone BD, thank goodness.

I traded mine (stupidly) to a QQ member (now banned, IIRC), who basically defrauded me - sent me a CD, instead of a MC album.

Live and learn!

Or in this case -
Mind. Cannot. Erase

I totally agree. I cannot understand the appeal of unboxing videos. I want the joy, surprise and happiness to be mine spontaneously when I buy and open the box set!
There are some people...even on here...that count the number of CD's and total discs and even books to arrive at some hypothetical value for the boxset...I have watched them before...as long as they aren't too long...

The unboxing video can also be used as a treasure map of sorts to help in locating that one disc among the marbles, scarves, sticks, picks, moonstones and assorted sundries included in said box.
Shirley, marbles and scarves are the only reason to buy Floyd box sets? I mean, the music is neither here nor there, but the scarf actually fulfills a function, and the marbles provide endless hours of happy childhood regression. I bought 25 of the Immersion sets, just so I could rug up, and play ringy, eggs in a basket, marble golf, etc. with me mates. The music pales in comparison to the joy that playing marbles brings, that's why I threw away all of the discs as excessive wastage.

Live and learn!

the moral of the story is;

"never ever bloody anything ever."

✌️🌈🦄🥳🎉😍

I agree totally. When I got this fantastic book I put on my headphones, took the book started TV and BD Player, watched, listened and read it. Amazing experience!

Sorry for being slightly off topic...

Well this is technically my 1st post.,…anyhow regardless of the expense of this set, I knew it was coming up and was saving my $$ for this. I was actually expecting it to be like the George Harrison “ATMP” UBER BOX SET….so this is quite a suprise.

For all you folks who only want the music….it seems to me that Paul Sinclair gave a subtle hint that one might be coming as a SDE package exclusive in his chat.

IMG_8001.jpeg

Only makes sense to me because Paul was able to get an advanced copy for his UNBOXING VIDEO😁🤣

Last edited:
To add to my previous post….
Yes I get it that some people want to check out the contents before pushing the ‘buy it now’ button. But then there are others - like me - who will buy any box set from The Who, The Beatles, Rush, Queen etc regardless 🧐

Imagine, as a child, your parents showing you all your Christmas presents, in detail, a month before the big day! 🤣

Imagine, as a child, your parents showing you all your Christmas presents, in detail, a month before the big day! 🤣
Well...
we aren't children,
it's not Christmas,
it isn't a present, we are paying for it,
and even without seeing the unboxing video, we read what all is in the box when we see the announcement and put in our order.

Well...
we aren't children,
it's not Christmas,
it isn't a present, we are paying for it,
and even without seeing the unboxing video, we read what all is in the box when we see the announcement and put in our order.
We aren't children? Would you volunteer to debate that subject with my wife?

Back