Steven Wilson Yes "Fragile" Super Deluxe Edition out in June with Dolby Atmos mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just one I'm aware of. This 'gold' Joe Gastwirt remaster from 1993.
That makes at least 2 then because there's a US vinyl pressing.

There are a few albums like this with the short "hidden track" at the end where both vinyl reissues and early CD editions omitted them.

It could also be bettered by removing "We Have Heaven". Quite possibly the most annoying song of all time. I'm tempted to buy the Atmos release (I have the Japanese 5.1 SACD) but that song really makes me question the purchase. Even a stand alone Atmos would make me question it. I wonder if they used it at Guantanamo Bay.
So fascinating to me how a less than two minute song could be one's deciding factor to buy (or in this case not buy) an entire album. Like others, I do like "We Have Heaven," and I am so curious why it gets under the skin of another listener. Of course, there is still the skip button!

So fascinating to me how a less than two minute song could be one's deciding factor to buy (or in this case not buy) an entire album. Like others, I do like "We Have Heaven," and I am so curious why it gets under the skin of another listener. Of course, there is still the skip button!
Really. I've loved the layered vocals in this song since I bought it back in '72. And it's tailor made for surround sound. That being said, some of the solo pieces on Fragile always sounded a bit out of place but I certainly wouldn't forgo the album for that reason.

I find it horribly repetitive with a piercing vocal on top; quite a feat in 1:40.
Now in ATMOS it bores me from every angle.
Sure it sounds great but I would rather have my tinnitus flare than listen to it.
Of course there is nothing wrong with me, nor anyone that enjoys it.

Just listened to it, as best I can. Sounds wonderful on my 5.1 system, and I can only imagine how sublime it would be in Atmos. I am not ready to take the leap yet, but since my AVR supports 7.1, I wonder if it would be worth adding two speakers. Couple of beginner questions: Does Atmos have 7.1 bed, or just 5.1? And where would I place the two extra speakers?

Just listened to it, as best I can. Sounds wonderful on my 5.1 system, and I can only imagine how sublime it would be in Atmos. I am not ready to take the leap yet, but since my AVR supports 7.1, I wonder if it would be worth adding two speakers. Couple of beginner questions: Does Atmos have 7.1 bed, or just 5.1? And where would I place the two extra speakers?
It is my understanding (and it’s probably more complex than this, people who actually work with it please chime in and correct me) that Atmos at its core is a Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 “core”.

This 7.1 track is mixed like any other 7.1 track, but there is an extra layer of metadata that sits above the 7.1 track that takes that core 7.1 data and expands it into Atmos “objects”, sounds assigned to a object moved around inside a 3D space. This is where heights and extra wides (9.x, 11.x etc) can come from.

If the Atmos decoder reads the metadata correctly, the 7.1 core is effectively replaced with a purely object/bed based mix, where as if it *doesnt* then it falls back to that pre-made 7.1 track. (This is the part I’m least sure on)

In turn, that 7.1 track will automatically fold down to 5.1, 4.1, 4.0, 3.0, 2.0 etc in the same way that any other Dolby track will adapt to a lower number of speakers.

So: if you want to inch closer to Atmos, but not go all the way, you would add two speakers, directly to the sides of your seating area per 7.1 spec, and you’d get that core 7.1 track. Upgrading your AVR to one that handles Atmos, and adding additional “bed” or “height” speakers as you see fit would be the next part of that upgrade

Funny thing to me is that I LOVE We Have Heaven - it's one of my favorite songs on the album - and the only thing that annoys me about the 5.1 DVD-A and Steven Wilson's previous 5.1 mix is that neither of them got the mix of that song "right" as far as I'm concerned. Most especially the SW mix, which on one hand nicely adds a vocal track we hadn't heard before, but there was a reason it was omitted; it just doesn't fit.

Sounds like this new mix finally gets it right, but as I don't have an Atmos setup and surely never will, plus with this new mix only being available in an expensive (for me) box, it looks like I'm going to miss it.

I find it horribly repetitive with a piercing vocal on top; quite a feat in 1:40.
Now in ATMOS it bores me from every angle.
Sure it sounds great but I would rather have my tinnitus flare than listen to it.
Of course there is nothing wrong with me, nor anyone that enjoys it.
We all have our preferences, that’s part of what makes life interesting. This album is a Desert Island Disc for me, but I could do without “Five Percent For Nothing”.

Last edited:
We Have Heaven is a great song to zone out to. I really like layered stuff you can get lost in. It is actually a quick way for me to get to sleep listening to this song, only to be jarred awake by the door at the end.

Buy the Super Deluxe set. It's worth it!
It's not, really. I won't buy any set that forces vinyl on me. It's just wasteful consumption of things I do not want, need, or will ever use. If it releases as a standalone Blu-ray I would buy it though. Was hoping to give it a listen on streaming in the meantime, given that the previous two Yes Atmos mixes are available there.

It's not, really. I won't buy any set that forces vinyl on me. It's just wasteful consumption of things I do not want, need, or will ever use. If it releases as a standalone Blu-ray I would buy it though. Was hoping to give it a listen on streaming in the meantime, given that the previous two Yes Atmos mixes are available there.
I'll eventually buy this when the price drops, as it's probably my favorite Yes album. As far as the vinyl goes, I've been buying certain LP's not necessarily to play (although I might on occasion), but to display for the cover art. So I will get some value out of the LP even if I never play it. And I'm a big fan of Roger Dean.

Back