Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOOOHHH-fluckin'-OOOOHHH, i may have poked mild fun previously at the Tidal credits (like a bit of a twat tbh 🤦‍♀️ ) but seriously, Mr. Lew Hahn, you did a great job here imho!! 🙌😍
Ehh, I'm disappointed. I'm listening on a 5.1 and it sounds lackluster on some tracks, fairly good on others. "Some Love" and "Message In The Middle Of The Bottom" are killer tracks that kind of fell flat.

Ehh, I'm disappointed. I'm listening on a 5.1 and it sounds lackluster on some tracks, fairly good on others. "Some Love" and "Message In The Middle Of The Bottom" are killer tracks that kind of fell flat.
ah, i'm sorry to hear that 😔

maybe it's one of those Atmos mixes that doesn't consistently transpose to 5.1 well enough on some tracks, i don't know?

fwiw i was picking out distinct cool stuff going on all around, behind and to the sides.

on a few tracks, i was surprised how good it was! honestly, my expectations weren't that high going in because Universal's Atmos handling of that genre of catalogue is spotty at best. going into listening i was mindful of that very odd mix of the Rufus track "Tell Me Something Good" that some folks surmised must be wrongly assigned/back-to-front it's so "huh"?! 🤷🏻‍♀️

...and on to Streetlife Serenade. I'm sure this mix will forever be compared to the 4.0 which (if memory serves - it's been ages since I listened to the quad) was crazy discrete. But this is overall a pretty pleasing mix. I especially enjoyed the mix on "Weekend Song" which has the organ blasting pretty loudly from the right rear.

We now have all of Billy's studio albums from 1973 - 1983 in Atmos. Four more to go and we'll have all the studio albums.

I'm hoping they also could include 'Songs In The Attic', his live album from 1981. It was always one of my favorite live albums. Lots of energy and great live versions of some of his best songs. Sonically better than most at the time. Elliot Scheiner was involved. The liner notes also mentions 3M digital. I have read somewhere that they actually recorded analog and digital in parallel, but I'm not sure which format was used for mixing. Either way I think a new mix of this album in the right hands could end up sounding excellent.

thank you for the scoop info! 🙏

here it is on Apple Music;

Thanks. It's my first post in this forum and tbh I wasn't really sure how to post the link lol. This was released on Friday and I hadn't seen it mentioned here yet so I thought I may as well let ppl know. I hope their first two albums will get the atmos treatment. I'm not much a fan of the two albums before this new one, but their first two are bangers.

Thanks. It's my first post in this forum and tbh I wasn't really sure how to post the link lol. This was released on Friday and I hadn't seen it mentioned here yet so I thought I may as well let ppl know. I hope their first two albums will get the atmos treatment. I'm not much a fan of the two albums before this new one, but their first two are bangers.
Welcome to QQ! 🤗
Great first post! 🤩

For anybody interested in Alphaville - Forever Young, I wasn't being fair to this mix on first impression and I should have waited and listened to this properly before judging, as I initially planned. First, the sound quality is awesome, it's clear and punchy and does this album justice. The bass is a real joy, I mean the beginning of Big in Japan has to have strong bass and boy, does it deliver.

After listening carefully on my 5.1 systems, I can say this is a quite uneven experience mix-wise. I know this album very well, I've owned it for easily 25 years and in many parts, I wonder why they didn't move this or that element to another speaker. Like I mentioned before, "To Germany with Love" had to much potential, especially in the last third. Yet, it's only little better than stereo. They left potential on the floor in "Lies", too.

Still, don't let my nagging distract you. There are consistent highlights on this one, so for every low point, you can always look forward to the next joyful moment. Sounds Like a Melody is a massive stand-out, yes. Also, play the opening moments of "In the Mood" for another example of how good this can get.

So, I'd say this is an easy 7 or 8, even though it would probably dip to somewhere around 5 in my book if the music and sound quality were any less sublime.
Anyone listening to this "Alphaville - Forever Young" on Tidal, or otherwise know who mixed this one? I have the BD now and it's not on the package anywhere 🤨. It sounds fine, front focused mainly, but could have been a more adventurous mix for sure, especially for Synth-Pop. I'll vote a 7 on the Poll for this one. I do enjoy the music however, listening in 7.1 downmixed to 5.1.

Folder.jpg
artist.jpg

Anyone listening to this "Alphaville - Forever Young" on Tidal, or otherwise know who mixed this one? I have the BD now and it's not on the package anywhere 🤨. It sounds fine, front focused mainly, but could have been a more adventurous mix for sure, especially for Synth-Pop. I'll vote a 7 on the Poll for this one. I do enjoy the music however, listening in 7.1 downmixed to 5.1.
Sorry, but no info about immersive mixer on Tidal either. Credits are the same as the stereo version with Wolfgang Loos credited for recording and mixing. I don't think anyone has confirmed who did the atmos yet.

I'm halfway through Glass Houses now. I was expecting this one to be a major letdown given that Brad Leigh has typically been very conservative on songs that prominently feature Billy's touring band, which this whole album does. And while there are plenty of places where I think Leigh missed some obvious opportunities, he's getting a bit more aggressive here than he has been in the past. The call and response vocals in "It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me" jump back and forth from front to rear. More shockingly, the piano solo on "Don't Ask Me Why" jumps to the rear. "I Don't Want to Be Alone Anymore" is a strange one; on the verses the rears are almost non-existent but become significantly more active during the chorus. (Keep in mind I'm listening downmixed to 5.1).

Ohh, I overlooked until today that Glass Houses and Streetlife are now out. Sick!

I didn't even waste time trying to listen to this unedited. Went straight ahead and extracted the core 5.1, then raised the rears by 7-14 dB depending on the song. Just like the previous BJ Atmoses.

And just like the previous ones, there's a great 5.1 mix here! Not just that, I'd agree that yes, it even surpasses the previous ones.

Don't have an Atmos setup, so can't say anything about that. But I'm enjoying this in 5.1 with boosted rears!

Fabiana Palladino's made a lovely album, sounded good and not a bad mix at all, Surround-y enough to raise a smile 😋

needed a wee crank of the master volume compared to most of the other Atmos tracks i was playing at the time but generally a very pleasant listening session ☺️
I also noticed how quiet it is, but it's a great album. One of the best of the year so far IMHO!

Back