Batch #2 of Rhino Atmos Blu-Rays coming August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we get any label clues for these?
We'll need a lot more than that. If we're talking new Atmos mixes, they could almost anything.

But if we look to the first batch for clues?

Rumours: reported sales of 40 million copies.

Jagged Little Pill: 33 million

Cracked Rear View: 22 million

Best of the Doors (1985): 10 million

We'll need a lot more than that. If we're talking new Atmos mixes, they could almost anything.

Rumours: reported sales of 40 million copies.

Jagged Little Pill: 33 million

Cracked Rear View: 22 million

Best of the Doors (1985): 10 million
Ah, yes. Titles that were fringe at best. lol :hi

Well then, bring on Metallica, The Black Album and while you're at it...throw in AC/DC, Back In Black. Those 2 albums sold a few dozen each.
"Back In Black" is reportedly WEA's all-time best seller. (Worldwide, it's 2nd only to "Thriller", if we trust the good ol boys over at Wikipedia.) ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

But AC/DC doesn't have much of a history with surround mixes, do they? Also, as much as I love AC/DC, their basic arrangements aren't really screaming "Atmos" to me.

If we're talking new Atmos mixes, they could almost anything.

If - like the first batch - they're all well-known legacy acts and already available to stream, that doesn't exactly leave a ton of options. But I'll play:

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing or Brothers In Arms (if the latter, they could also throw in Chuck Ainlay's 5.1 mix)
Tom Petty - Wildflowers or Mojo (again for the latter, there's also an OOP 5.1 mix sitting around)
Carly Simon - No Secrets (could also include the 5.1 and/or quad mixes)
Fleetwood Mac - S/T, Tusk, or Mirage (Atmos & 5.1 available for all three - but it seems unlikely they'd immediately follow Rumours with one of these?)

Of course I'll keep hoping for the Steven Wilson mixes of Chic and The Grateful Dead :)

If - like the first batch - they're all well-known legacy acts and already available to stream, that doesn't exactly leave a ton of options. But I'll play:

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing or Brothers In Arms (if the latter, they could also throw in Chuck Ainlay's 5.1 mix)
Tom Petty - Wildflowers or Mojo (again for the latter, there's also an OOP 5.1 mix sitting around)
Carly Simon - No Secrets (could also include the 5.1 and/or quad mixes)
Fleetwood Mac - S/T, Tusk, or Mirage (Atmos & 5.1 available for all three - but it seems unlikely they'd immediately follow Rumours with one of these?)

Of course I'll keep hoping for the Steven Wilson mixes of Chic and The Grateful Dead :)
Ohhh Chic! :dance

By the way, the CD/BD set of Seal (1994) does have the vintage 5.1 on the BluRay disc. It isn't mentioned anywhere on the packaging.....
thanks for confirming that!
brought that up the other night in the Seal thread.
very glad Rhino did the right thing and put both the new Atmos mix and the original 5.1 mix on the Blu-Ray

:)

If they are going to follow up on the Hootie/Alanis 90's thing, I'd be up for some Stone Temple Pilots.

The streaming Atmos mix of "Tiny Music" is really good. Probably not the type of strong-seller they'd be looking for however. But "Purple" sold some 6 million copies and is in its 30th anniversary year.

"Diamonds and Pearls" came out through Warner, not Rhino but it IS the 40th anniversary year of "Purple Rain". And we know that at least "When Doves Cry" got the Atmos treatment.

"Back In Black" is reportedly WEA's all-time best seller. (Worldwide, it's 2nd only to "Thriller", if we trust the good ol boys over at Wikipedia.) ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

But AC/DC doesn't have much of a history with surround mixes, do they? Also, as much as I love AC/DC, their basic arrangements aren't really screaming "Atmos" to me.
They are for me. As long as Wilson or similar can get ahold of them..

I know it wouldn't be a huge seller but I'd really love Christine McVie's In the Meantime. Beautiful album, nice mix.

And one of my go-to Atmos streaming tracks is Coldplay's 10 minute epic "Coloratura". (Check it out if you haven't. It's wonderful). So I'd happily take the Music of the Spheres album if it came out on blu-ray.

I know it wouldn't be a huge seller but I'd really love Christine McVie's In the Meantime. Beautiful album, nice mix.
Yeah, I really love that one too. A better Atmos mix than any of the classic FM titles, IMO.

Lake Street Dive’s Obviously is another lesser-known I’d love to see, but probably not on many people’s wishlists.

Back