Batch #2 of Rhino Atmos Blu-Rays coming August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BOA were on Atco records for their most commercial period. This catalog was not a part of Capricorn, and did not move to Universal with the rest of that label's catalog. I also doubt that Warner's spun off these BOA masters, but they likely reverted back to the band after 30 years or so. But UMG was not where these albums (included quad mix) ended up afaik.

The rights were sold to a label called RT Industries (ex-Razor & Tie execs) as part of Warner's divestment of the Parlophone catalog to independent labels.

So yesterday it got me thinking on some more great and wonderful albums we need in surround, via Rhino, WEA so.....

The Firesign Theatre - The Three Faces Of Al
The Firesign Theatre- Bride Of Firesign
The Firesign Theatre - Radio Now Live!

Robert Plant- Manic Nirvana
-Fizzy
I'd jump on any Firesign Theatre! Talk about a comic group whose work almost demands surround . . . there is one of their main albums in 5.1 already, and the 25th anniversary tour release, but little more.

Oh, and I added MANIC NIRVANA. My favorite Plant solo.

Last edited:
I understand matters of personal taste. Merely speaking of the effectiveness of the multichannel mixes, The Doors is super inconsistent, in 5.1 and Atmos, and the FM is unlistenable in Atmos, to my ears, on my system.
The previous 5.1 releases for both groups make both of the new BD’s pointless, for me.

The Alanis Atmos mix kicks ass.
Bought all but Hootie. Alanis the best, although her voice can get a bit grading on you after awhile. Doors, the track "Riders on the Storm" is excellent. The rest so-so. Fleetwood Mac. Average. Nothing stands out. I like the 2 channel DTS disk better.

Bought all but Hootie. Alanis the best, although her voice can get a bit grading on you after awhile. Doors, the track "Riders on the Storm" is excellent. The rest so-so. Fleetwood Mac. Average. Nothing stands out. I like the 2 channel DTS disk better.
Oh, I completely get where you’re coming from with Morrisette’s music.

Ideally, what Rhino should be doing with these Atmos batches is issuing four excellent Atmos mixes. Not one. (Subjective, I know, though I have offered some detailed analysis as to why I view The Doors and FM mixes as sub-standard. Not that everyone has to or will agree.)

That way, everyone can purchase the discs that match their style and be confident that they’re gonna be happy with the multichannel experience.

That’s what they’re doing with Quadio, after all.

That’s all I’m getting at.

Two weeks to go for Atmos #2. Other than Carly somebody and something, it's been crickets. Anticipation, Holmes! Where are the teasers? Where is the love? I've been holding off on Quadio #5 (#5, #5, #5, #5......) because there's always something there to entice me.

The rights were sold to a label called RT Industries (ex-Razor & Tie execs) as part of Warner's divestment of the Parlophone catalog to independent labels.

I'm guessing here , but I think Razor & Tie may be with BMG Sony .re ELP
But wait...... Whoops , not anymore ?
In January 2018 Concord bought Razor & Tie , so now, that means UMG , most likely for Black Oak Arkansas Raunch N Roll in quad (and possibly a quad recording of Street Party).

Boy some labels are really on the move . I think we need us a
Centralized Quad Album Library 🤔

I'd jump on any Firesign Theatre! Talk about a comic group whose work almost demands surround . . . there is one of their main albums in 5.1 already, and the 25th anniversary tour release, but little more.

Oh, and I added MANIC NIRVANA. My favorite Plant solo.

I think Firesign have a couple more surround DVD'S , The PBS Special , and of course Everything You Know Is Wrong DD 5.1 , mix is.. I think..same as the quad album . Andy MacDonald gets the 5.1 mix credit .
He was the engineer for the Quad album fwiw.
It's a 2 DVD set which is available on their TFT website. I think I paid approximately $40 US plus shipping is extra.

17236829649804434155875403139997.jpg

17236830222606381422928555720638.jpg

I'm guessing here , but I think Razor & Tie may be with BMG Sony .re ELP
But wait...... Whoops , not anymore ?
In January 2018 Concord bought Razor & Tie , so now, that means UMG , most likely for Black Oak Arkansas Raunch N Roll in quad (and possibly a quad recording of Street Party).

Boy some labels are really on the move . I think we need us a
Centralized Quad Album Library 🤔

RT Industries is not Razor & Tie, it's run by former Razor & Tie execs. They have a website, www.rt-industries.com.

RT Industries is not Razor & Tie, it's run by former Razor & Tie execs. They have a website, www.rt-industries.com.

Ok I kinda understand now ? More or less.

I remember that Black Oak , had a DVDA back in the day...label unknown.

So now (if it really matters), I wonder which of the big 2 distributes
their albums , or are they now totally indie.

Or is their catalog split between 2 or more labels. I know they're not on Rhino.

I think Firesign have a couple more surround DVD'S , The PBS Special , and of course Everything You Know Is Wrong DD 5.1 , mix is.. I think..same as the quad album . Andy MacDonald gets the 5.1 mix credit .
It's a 2 DVD set which is available on their TFT website. I think I paid approximately $40 US plus shipping is extra.

View attachment 108445
View attachment 108446
Does anybody know if this the same as the quad, I would like to buy it if it is, great quad. thanks for the info. I didn't know this existed.

My recollection is that someone associated with the creation of this DVD told someone here that the band couldn't get access to the discrete quad masters from Sony (for reasons unknown) so what's on the DVD is an SQ decode of a vinyl copy of the album.

My recollection is that someone associated with the creation of this DVD told someone here that the band couldn't get access to the discrete quad masters from Sony (for reasons unknown) so what's on the DVD is an SQ decode of a vinyl copy of the album.
Is it good quad copy? The Rick Wakeman quads he released were from quad LPs I believe, and they sound great.

Can't answer that I'm afraid, because for me an SQ LP of unknown provenance decoded by unknown means and then encoded in lossy Dolby Digital would never constitute an acceptable listening experience for me, even if it was the best album of all time. I'd sooner listen to a stereo copy from an actual master tape.

View attachment 108445
View attachment 108446
Here's what I have --for free! Only a dollar 8'). The middle two in the lower row are 5.1, and maybe one of those above (just got up and drinking coffee . . . details can wait, lol). Lots to download on BandCamp, and I have some, but lately can't keep up. I'd spring for surround, though!

Attachments

• FTcollection.JPG
    FTcollection.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Does anybody know if this the same as the quad, I would like to buy it if it is, great quad. thanks for the info. I didn't know this existed.
I don't have the quad, so can't say. In addition to the pic I posted above, I found these -- the BOOM DOT BUSTs are unopened, and have "6 channel sound!" 5.1, maybe? or that weird format Peter Jackson released LOTR in? Anyway, the big box of Nick is unopened as well, but CDs of course. I have all the main CDs, some in MoFi, and all scattered :cautious:

[edit: fizzywiggs41, what is the PBS special? Oh, wait, that's the WEIRDLY COOL DVD <sing-songy "never mind">]

Attachments

• DSC03492.JPG
    DSC03492.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back