Batch #2 of Rhino Atmos Blu-Rays coming August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
went through the whole Atmos mix some months ago.
the 4 main singles (Big Love, Seven Wonders, Everywhere, and Little Lies) are proper Atmos remixes while the other tracks are definitely faked from the stereo masters
I remember when the boxed set came out with no surround a few years ago, someone here posted to Ken Caillat saying he would have loved to do a surround mix for it but that the recording process for that album was such a mess of them flying in overdubs and other anomalies that it would probably be impossible to find all the parts let alone recreate the mix.

the 4 main singles (Big Love, Seven Wonders, Everywhere, and Little Lies) are proper Atmos remixes while the other tracks are definitely faked from the stereo masters
The title track is also real (and plays to a hard ending, unlike the stereo mix). But yeah, everything else seems to have been upmixed.

I like the mixes of the hits, “Seven Wonders” in particular sounds pretty sweet in 7.1.4 here.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...w-streaming-in-dolby-atmos.34354/#post-698405

Sony has the Firesign quads. When I asked Phil Proctor about whether Bozos or Everything You Know is Wrong is best heard in stereo or quad, he affirmed the quads are the way to go. He added that Phil Austin spent weeks getting the quad mixes just right. The Q8s of Bozos are ridiculously expensive.
There is a 2-disc DVD of Everything You Know is Wrong, for sale (now! head there now!) at firesigntheatre.com. It includes a wonderful film of Everything, which is actually the group lip syncing to the original recording. Stereo/5.1/commentary tracks. The original fidelity, so not awesome, but still surround. The video is hysterical (“Bear Wiz Beer” anyone?).

He (your dog) has been there, and you probably don’t even know where you are!

One caveat, the “Follow the Snake” and “Holes” monologue bits aren’t in the video, because Columbia Records only gave them $10,000 for this “promotional” video and they didn’t get animations done for those on that budget.

Attachments

• IMG_9407.jpeg
    IMG_9407.jpeg
    2.3 MB
  • IMG_9408.jpeg
    IMG_9408.jpeg
    3.3 MB
  • IMG_9409.jpeg
    IMG_9409.jpeg
    2.2 MB
I agree, but I don't think the first four all had surround releases.

This isn't old quad releases thread but the new Bluray with Atmos releases.
I know that.
When I said they have no other Zep surround mixes to release, it’s because AFAIK, no other surround mixes have completed, mainly because the members aren’t interested in such

There is a 2-disc DVD of Everything You Know is Wrong, for sale (now! head there now!) at firesigntheatre.com. It includes a wonderful film of Everything, which is actually the group lip syncing to the original recording. Stereo/5.1/commentary tracks. The original fidelity, so not awesome, but still surround. The video is hysterical (“Bear Wiz Beer” anyone?).

He (your dog) has been there, and you probably don’t even know where you are!

One caveat, the “Follow the Snake” and “Holes” monologue bits aren’t in the video, because Columbia Records only gave them $10,000 for this “promotional” video and they didn’t get animations done for those on that budget.
I have this, and enjoy it with a bit of P.J. Proby wine occasionally.

Wonder if the Crosby, Stills & Nash album ever got a surround mix? Certainly, Graham Nash seems to appreciate surround sound. The first album, CSN, and Daylight Again would be welcome for me as well as Graham Nash/David Crosby. I guess the later C&N albums (Wind On The Water and Whistling Down The Wire) are with Universal, but I remember the odd deal the duo had where the LPs were on ABC, while the tapes were on Atlantic.

Wonder if the Crosby, Stills & Nash album ever got a surround mix? Certainly, Graham Nash seems to appreciate surround sound. The first album, CSN, and Daylight Again would be welcome for me as well as Graham Nash/David Crosby. I guess the later C&N albums (Wind On The Water and Whistling Down The Wire) are with Universal, but I remember the odd deal the duo had where the LPs were on ABC, while the tapes were on Atlantic.
I bought the 50th anniversary for C,S,N & Y, Deja Uv. No big revelations. Wasa hoping for 5.1 and Dolby Atmos mix harmonies guitars spread all around me. They over dubbed so much and many harmonies, I read were recorded with just 1 mike. And probably they don't have any interest in old catalogue. Though Nash has released surround discs.

Last edited:
Well then, bring on Metallica, The Black Album and while you're at it...throw in AC/DC, Back In Black. Those 2 albums sold a few dozen each.
This would be the Holy Grail of quad for me. Sounds great on the Surround Master(ver 1)

Reactions: GOS
They are for me. As long as Wilson or similar can get ahold of them..

Well, I guess I'm essentially saying, if minimally, these 2 titles are a superb 5.1 (you can call it Atmos all you like, just release a high quality surround)

I mean, Back In Black surely has multiple tracks with back vocals, bass, lead guitar lead vocals, drums.

Did you by chance catch that interview with Wilson in another thread? I was reminded of this conversation as he specifically mentioned AC/DC as something he didn't think would work well in Atmos because he thinks that once you start "opening up" the mix too much with simple two guitar-bass-drum hard rock mixes that you start to lose what makes those bands sound so great.

So yeah, we might get some AC/DC someday-- Probably wouldn't be him though.

If I'm not mistaken, Fleetwood Mac's TUSK only had a lossy DD 5.1 remix [as well as a 96/24 STEREO remix] and would greatly benefit from a Dolby ATMOS remix!

Primary

Yup. That's at the top of my wish list. Mirage and the 1975 self-titled LP also. All are streaming in Atmos but the 5.1's have only been released on lossy DD.

Now..... @ForagingRhino ..... since you gave us hints about the Quadio releases.... Can you give us a hint or two here?

:51QQ

Back