Batch #2 of Rhino Atmos Blu-Rays coming August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not sure about which companies these artists might be on in the US, but these were big sellers back in the 70’s
Boston
Kansas
Foreigner
Styx
Boz Scaggs - Silk degrees
Donna Summer
ELO
Eagles
Journey
Stevie Wonder
Queen
I’d buy any of these in a heartbeat
Boston (Sony. Tom Scholz apparently controls the catalogue and is allegedly fiercely protective of how it is handled, shall we say, so chances seem v. slim imho)

Kansas (Sony. possible but not on a Rhino release)

Foreigner (Warner/Rhino. Atmos Blu-ray potential as they've a number of tracks streaming in Atmos right now!)

Styx (Universal. some Atmos mixes currently streaming, possible via SDE?)

Boz Scaggs - Silk degrees (Sony.. "what can i say"? 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣 would love it but feels unlikely)

Donna Summer (Universal. several tracks streaming in Atmos so maybe possible via SDE in future?)

ELO (Sony. Jeff Lynne supposedly anti-Surround so that maybe a barrier?)

Eagles (Warner/Rhino. i'd say forget the Eagles, unless it's an Atmos of "Hotel California" that's been rumoured the last couple of years and never materialised)

Journey (Sony. i'm surprised we haven't had any of their tracks streaming in 360RA/Atmos already. "don't stop believing" maybe one day.)

Stevie Wonder (Universal. i'd say forget it, sadly. anecdotally, Stevie owns his own masters and won't allow them to be used by anyone, even by Universal themselves supposedly! 🤯 )

Queen (Universal, now Sony. a mere handful of songs streaming in Atmos from Universal. Atmos BD release possible i guess if Sony want to make the most of their latest billion dollar purchase?)

Last edited:
I will never understand how any artist could be "anti-Surround." I mean, you can express your music in so many more ways! 🤷‍♂️
(I'm talkin' to you Pauli Simon, too.)
Given the complexity and scale of the vast majority of ELO's recordings, the material absolutely begs for a decent surround treatment. At the very already least Eldorado for which a Quad mix was prepared back in the day, but never released, should be made available.

Besides all that, it will be more revenue for the artists. Even if they don't need the money, it would still create some further exposure and recognition of their work, and be something that some fans would appreciate.

I hope that Jeff or his people reads this

Given the complexity and scale of the vast majority of ELO's recordings, the material absolutely begs for a decent surround treatment. At the very already least Eldorado for which a Quad mix was prepared back in the day, but never released, should be made available.

Besides all that, it will be more revenue for the artists. Even if they don't need the money, it would still create some further exposure and recognition of their work, and be something that some fans would appreciate.

Hate to say it Adam, but most of those older crop of rock musicians are suffering some form of hearing loss [some extreme] and probably couldn't appreciate the upgrade a surround remix would generate .....

But in all fairness, that shouldn't stop them from hiring an experienced Surround remix engineer and having a go at their back catalogues....because everything you said is TRUE!

Last edited:
So many great suggestions so far that I would jump on. Add…

Peter Gabriel, So was a big seller that would make for an interesting Atmos mix.

Maybe Genesis, Invisible Touch fits the profile?

Stevie Wonder (Universal. i'd say forget it, sadly. anecdotally, Stevie owns his own masters and won't allow them to be used by anyone, even by Universal themselves supposedly! 🤯 )
My understanding is he's never even allowed anyone to use the original stereo masters. (Let alone the multi-tracks) Everything that has been released has been from a 2nd generation dub at best.

AMEN to that! There's no reason why they shouldn't give the 'specialized' fans what they want. I do understand there's cost and time involved in its preparation, but it would be so worth the effort. ELO would be astounding in quad / surround mixes.

AMEN to that! There's no reason why they shouldn't give the 'specialized' fans what they want. I do understand there's cost and time involved in its preparation, but it would be so worth the effort. ELO would be astounding in quad / surround mixes.
Imagine the “Out of the blue” album mixed in atmos by Steven Wilson 🥰🥰🥰

Imagine the “Out of the blue” album mixed in atmos by Steven Wilson 🥰🥰🥰

Believe me now, the big wheels in my brain have spent many a night in the city looking at the starlight dreaming about just that. Until then I guess I am left standin' in the rain with the Birmingham blues!

Back to the world of Rhino possibilities......

I wonder if 'Van Morrison-His Band And Street Choir' might be considered for a nice big Atmos/DTS 5.1type treatment , although he may be another reluctant surround artist , and this album and Moondance fall under Rhino's catalogue . Afterwhich most if not all are on Exile/UMG.
I know Elliott Scheiner remastered this album in stereo around the same time as his 5.1 of Moondance.

So many great suggestions so far that I would jump on. Add…

Peter Gabriel, So was a big seller that would make for an interesting Atmos mix.

Maybe Genesis, Invisible Touch fits the profile?

That's possible, but if I had to pick the next Genesis album to get a bluray edition, ... I'd wish it to be Foxtrot or The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.
They (Genesis) , have some stellar albums to see a bluray edition, most especially the Gabriel/Hackett years , or so I think anyway.

Back to the world of Rhino possibilities......

I wonder if 'Van Morrison-His Band And Street Choir' might be considered for a nice big Atmos/DTS 5.1type treatment , although he may be another reluctant surround artist, and this album and Moondance fall under Rhino's catalogue . Afterwhich most if not all are on Exile/UMG.
I know Elliott Scheiner remastered this album in stereo around the same time as his 5.1 of Moondance.
Van Morrison hated the 2013 deluxe release of Moondance. It didn't get his blessing at all.

Does Warner also still own Tupelo Honey and Astral Weeks, too?

Van Morrison hated the 2013 deluxe release of Moondance. It didn't get his blessing at all.

Does Warner also still own Tupelo Honey and Astral Weeks, too?
I bought a copy of Astral Weeks on vinyl in 2022 or so and it says Warner all over it, so unless things changed recently, I’d say yes.

And I’d also die for an Atmos mix of Astral Weems

Back