Batch #2 of Rhino Atmos Blu-Rays coming August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
afaik Rhino has access to the Warner, Elektra, Asylum, Reprise stable and any artists' catalogues Warner's since acquired such as WAR (formerly w/United Artists) but as always i imagine it'll be down to rights/permissions, availability of tapes, etc., as to what is doable as much as anything and labels have strategic concerns alongside the usual financial considerations and so on..

Any chance of the new Linkin Park album being released on blu ray?
Sadly, it's looking like there won't be an Atmos mix of that album. At least the first two singles ("The Emptiness Machine" and "Heavy Is The Crown") aren't streaming in Atmos on Apple Music. I wonder if the band aren't fans of the format, since the Atmos mix of Hybrid Theory was pulled from all the streaming services?

afaik Rhino has access to the Warner, Elektra, Asylum, Reprise stable and any artists' catalogues Warner's since acquired such as WAR (formerly w/United Artists) but as always i imagine it'll be down to rights/permissions, availability of tapes, etc., as to what is doable as much as anything and labels have strategic concerns alongside the usual financial considerations and so on..
...and don't forget, they also have Grunt now, Jefferson Starship, Hot Tuna and others.
They lost Capricorn and Sinatra that was on Reprise.

Here's the listing from Wikipedia of all Warner distributed labels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Labels_distributed_by_Warner_Music_Group
Assuming this is correct, below is a list I put together of what I deem a "best of" list of Spatial Audio only (no physical disc) available. Most are from the 90's. Only four appear to be in the Rhino family:
  • De La Soul – 3 Feet high and rising - Chrysalis
  • Bad Religion – Stranger Than Fiction – Atlantic
  • Ramones - Ramones - Sire (admittedly the spatial audio mix stinks, IMO)
  • Faith No More - Epic - Reprise
  • Sublime – 40oz to Freedom – MCA
  • Pearl Jam - Epic
  • Alice In Chains – DIRT – Columbia
  • Rage Against the Machine – EPIC
  • U2 – Achtung Baby – Island Records
  • Wu Tang – Enter the Wu Tang – RCA/Sony
  • Weezer – DGC/Interscope

If we're talking about albums in the Rhino family that are not currently in ATMOS, but would be great to have, I'd say #1 should be the Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I believe Warner may have the rights to Sub-Pop stuff as well. Sub Pop has the Shins, Oh Inverted World, as well as host of albums from Mudhoney, Sleater Kinney, Sunny Day Real Estate. These bands all have cult followings. Reprise had Joy Division and Lou Reed who also have cult followings.

I should also note that Warner/Parlaphone owned FFRR, which has access to a ton of hip-hop and electronic music that would probably be ripe for the ATMOS treatment (and which has admittedly small, but very loyal fan-bases). Particularly DJ Shadow, Underworld, etc.

Just my two cents.

Back