Dream Theater - Parasomnia (Atmos!) - Feb 7

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haken is definitely the band in this genre that gives me the excitement I'm missing in modern Dream Theater. Leprous, well, they've changed quite a bit, not sure whether you can call them prog metal anymore, but I still like them and their first 2 albums are modern prog metal classics IMO. I also loved everything that Haken's "sister band" called To-Mera released during their short life. Sort of a darker, sometimes heavier sounding Haken with female vocals.

Of course these younger bands will eventually stop sounding fresh as well, that's normal. In their prime, Dream Theater were untouchable and still unmatched as of today, to me anyway. I will still give the new album a chance, since I've always found at least 1 or 2 outstanding tracks even in their less inspired albums.

Haken is definitely the band in this genre that gives me the excitement I'm missing in modern Dream Theater. Leprous, well, they've changed quite a bit, not sure whether you can call them prog metal anymore, but I still like them and their first 2 albums are modern prog metal classics IMO. I also loved everything that Haken's "sister band" called To-Mera released during their short life. Sort of a darker, sometimes heavier sounding Haken with female vocals.

Of course these younger bands will eventually stop sounding fresh as well, that's normal. In their prime, Dream Theater were untouchable and still unmatched as of today, to me anyway. I will still give the new album a chance, since I've always found at least 1 or 2 outstanding tracks even in their less inspired albums.
Although this was probably a one-off, I thought Charlie's solo album (one of the two guitarists in Haken), which also features Haken's amazing drummer, was one of the best prog metal releases ever.

[Richard, the other Haken guitarist, solo albums are less metal in nature (and largely instrumental), but still very proggish and have scattered metal elements -- enjoyable in a completely different way]

This tongue in cheek thing appears a lot across Haken's catalog. Doesn't last long before the riffage begins. Most of the album has vocals, the first one here happens to be an instrumental.

Last edited:
@stoopid Charlie Griffiths' solo album was probably my favorite release from 2022... of any genre. Outstanding stuff, close enough to his main band that can be enjoyed by most Haken fans I suppose, but different enough to justify releasing it under his own name.

Regarding Henshall's solo music, I love his approach to guitar soloing but sometimes I struggle with his compositions as a whole, I tend to lose focus as a listener with them. But Charlie's... damn, it's just brilliant all around.

I finally saw Animals live...they are amazing but best taken in small doses.
Although this was probably a one-off, I thought Charlie's solo album (one of the two guitarists in Haken), which also features Haken's amazing drummer, was one of the best prog metal releases ever.

[Richard, the other Haken guitarist, solo albums are less metal in nature (and largely instrumental), but still very proggish and have scattered metal elements -- enjoyable in a completely different way]

This tongue in cheek thing appears a lot across Haken's catalog. Doesn't last long before the riffage begins. Most of the album has vocals, the first one here happens to be an instrumental.

Fun. I'd love to hear them with Nick Schendzielos on bass.

I complete dig Nuclear Power Trio but it pains me to watch them.

While I don't consider myself a collector or completist, Dream Theater is a band where I have all their studio releases. So of course, I've purchased the Artbook.

Unlike many, I enjoy all their releases, certainly through Black Clouds and Silver Linings. The Mangini era may be a bit too formulaic, but there are still things to like. Be sure that you have Systematic Chaos on DD 5.1 Copies start at .89 cents !

For those searching alternate sources of Prog. Metal, check out Vanden Plas. Similar to DT but not nearly the noodling. You can download The Epic Works: 1991 - 2015 here for $3.99. That's like .35 cents an album. The deal of the millennium!!

Reactions: GOS
Back