Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Blade Runner SACD sounds great via DTS-X Neo or whatever it's called in the Marantz 7013.
Not surprising Pete since Vangelis employs very heavy synthesizer motifs which usually decode well via DSP modes.

BTW, watched DUNE Part II last night on my new SONY projection TV which I DVRed from my FIOS cable box in 1080p. Actually looked astonishing! Am putting off buying the 4K version until they release it in the proper IMAX aspect ratio....or even 3D [like they did with Dune Part I]!

Last edited:
A most unique animated film from Kimstin Films [1080p/DTS~HD MA 2.0 Surround]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wolf-House-Blu-ray/352906/#Review

31006_23_large.jpg

The Wolf House

Thanks for that!! I've always loved this film, it's been hard to find recently.
The Name of the Rose has always been one of my favorite films but has never received a stellar release on home video. The earliest reviews of this French release indicate that the 4k transfer is good but not reference quality. However, the worst thing is that French subtitles are forced/burned-in which is a deal breaker for me. French video releases are known for being unfriendly to non-french viewers.

I'll definitely wait for the German release which should be more english friendly and probably cheaper, although if Turbine gets hold of it the price could still be pretty high. I'm thinking it's unlikely that an American company will pick this up but you never know.

Took advantage of some coupons, sales and luck and the following 4k are in the mail:
Blade Runner
Gorgo
Hellraiser: Tetralogy
Quigley Down Under
Sherlock Holmes
Wrath of Man

yeah yeah I know, Gorgo really? I am an unapologetic Kaiju fan.
When I was a kid watching monster movies at the theatre, I always preferred Gorgo over Godzilla. Just something about Gorgo that spoke to me :)

From thedigitalbits website:

And here’s something very exciting: We’ve had Miloš Forman’s Amadeus (1984) on our 4K Ultra HD Release List here at The Bits (click here for that) since early in 2021, when we first learned that the title was being tentatively targeted for 4K release by Warner Bros. The film has since indeed been restored in 4K by The Academy Film Archive and The Saul Zaentz Company, with funding provided by Teatro Della Pace Films. A world premiere screening of the 158-minute theatrical cut was held last Friday night at the Academy Museum in Los Angeles, and Bits reader John Zaozirny (Thanks John!) was on hand to see it. After the screening, John asked producer Paul Zaentz if the film would be coming out on 4K disc, and Paul confirmed that Warner Bros. is planning to release it later this year

And here’s something very exciting: We’ve had Miloš Forman’s Amadeus (1984) on our 4K Ultra HD Release List here at The Bits (click here for that) since early in 2021, when we first learned that the title was being tentatively targeted for 4K release by Warner Bros. The film has since indeed been restored in 4K by The Academy Film Archive and The Saul Zaentz Company, with funding provided by Teatro Della Pace Films. A world premiere screening of the 158-minute theatrical cut was held last Friday night at the Academy Museum in Los Angeles, and Bits reader John Zaozirny (Thanks John!) was on hand to see it. After the screening, John asked producer Paul Zaentz if the film would be coming out on 4K disc, and Paul confirmed that Warner Bros. is planning to release it later this year
That's great news! I've only ever seen it on VHS.

Great film, saw it in a cinema in Brussels with French & Flemish subtitles which covered quite a bit of the bottom of the screen!

Damn 4k El Mariachi trilogy in Aug and Janus showing a 4k Seven Samurai in NY and CA next month bodes well for a physical release in the near future.
Outstanding!

Damn 4k El Mariachi trilogy in Aug and Janus showing a 4k Seven Samurai in NY and CA next month bodes well for a physical release in the near future.
Outstanding!
From the digitalbits website:

Arrow Video has announced their August slate, which includes a UK-only 4K Ultra HD release of Michael Lehmann’s Heathers (1988) on 8/5, followed by a slew of titles on 8/26. Among them are Robert Rodriguez’s Desperado (1995) in 4K Ultra HD and The Mexico Trilogy box set (both in the UK, US, and Canada), which includes El Mariachi (1992) and Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003) in Blu-ray, as well as the Desperado 4K.

Back