Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extremely happy to confirm it is a real and good mix! Surprisingly rear heavy. Would love a lossless version if at all possible (and it’s likely; they’re independent but work with Universal for distribution. If SDE or IAA reached out to their (new, third, self run label P(Doom) Records) I have a feeling something could happen, though of course I do not speak for the band.
Updates on this:
Mix done by Joseph Carra from Crystal Mastering, and there’s pics/vids of the band in the studio approving it and the objects moving around on his instagram, here’s the objects:

And for those who like to make your own mixes; good news: the raw stems for each show this US tour have been going up. They just unveiled this link in their newsletter this morning https://linktr.ee/kinggizzardbootlegger

Bad news… they’re using Dropbox, and Dropbox seems to think the number of people trying the links are suspicious so they… aren’t working right now, but when its fixed, stems for each show should be available, and they’re planning on getting each show up within a few hours of it happening.

And that same newsletter claims the Atmos mix of Flight b741 should be up on Tidal and Amazon Music HD as well.

An old one from Christopher Willits, who has a few ambient albums in Atmos, and helped develop the Envelop System

Wow! How does it sound? I found this press release on the Ghostly site but I can't find info on whether the downloads for sale are immersive or not (guessing not.)

https://ghostly.com/products/opening-immersive
Released on: September 4, 2024
Share:
Facebook
Twitter
Ghostly International is excited to announce the release of OPENING(Immersive), a spatial audio remaster of Christopher Willits' 2014 visual album OPENING. This innovative re-release, now available on all immersive streaming platforms, marks the 10-year anniversary of the original album. Stereo remasters are also available on standard streaming platforms.

Originally created in 2014, OPENINGemerged while Willits and his team were developing Envelop, a nonprofit dedicated to immersive listening experiences. The vision was always to create an expansive listening experience for the album, but at the time, no streaming services supported such a prospect. Now, a decade later, that vision has finally been realized. Willits’ signature guitar sound, augmented by the full band of Tycho in 2014, now takes on a new life.

A 45-minute film accompanied its initial release, and now OPENING(Immersive) brings the music from this film into a new dimension, offering listeners an unparalleled auditory experience that envelops and transcends. Underscoring the artist’s foresight, the remaster is a testament to his dedication to pushing the boundaries of sound and experience, inviting listeners to dive into a reimagined auditory landscape.

I'm also curious about the 2014 DVD release (and any possible multichannel content therein), but it seems like it was only put out in Japan.

Wow! How does it sound? I found this press release on the Ghostly site but I can't find info on whether the downloads for sale are immersive or not (guessing not.)

https://ghostly.com/products/opening-immersive

I'm also curious about the 2014 DVD release (and any possible multichannel content therein), but it seems like it was only put out in Japan.
I haven’t given it a spin just yet, but I do plan on later today. I have the vinyl from the original release so the material is familiar to me.

As for the DVD, I’m fairly positive that the video footage it contains is this:

I do not know if it had any multichannel content, however, as my understanding is he only started getting interested in it with the Envelop system and afterwards his albums were either mixed binaurally or in surround.

Edit: listening to it now, and it is a very good mix. If a disc or download ever materializes hopefully it will be alongside the film

Last edited:
I got a comment from Joseph on a Reddit post I made giving my impressions of the mix, saying he’s glad to hear the feedback. I, earlier today, asked about the possibility of a lossless download or disc release and linked IAA. Hopefully that helps the push!
A response!:
I really can't reveal details about future releases but I would stay tuned...

This seems like a very safe muted mix to me and another Atmos mix that 99% of the time forgets the centre channel exists. Listened to Columbia, Slide Away and Rock N Roll and so far nothing made me smile.

Hopefully one day we will get a BD and at least some good will come from this - getting a dynamic stereo mix down.

Seems like much of the extra vocals that are quite clear on the CD are lost, Slide Away has long been a fave of mine but the “all I know is you can take me there” part is really lost in the mix - what a great opportunity it would have been to have the “Slide Awaaaaay” vocal isolated in the centre nice and clearly with the “all I know is you can take me there” coming through the surrounds at a similar volume.

Oh well, just another day of being disappointed in lossy streaming Atmos.
Sorry meant to reply to this on my last message

Mmmm, New Order Blu-ray in the Rhino series would be tasty.

Perhaps Jane's Addiciton's Ritual de lo Habitual also? Hootie, Alanis, Seal...awesome to finally see some '90s titles getting attention.
I can say this from experience: The Blu-Rays taste the same no matter what artist is pressed on them.

Until we wait for Ziggy and Gilmour, a new Sting single

He was one of my favorite artists up until Sacred Love (Which I like only some parts of it), but I'm not relating to any of his new music.
I'm trying to figure out if it's me or him 🤔 ☺️

Back