Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all licensing from Sony was the same I would imagine. They probably went with what they thought would pencil out.
It would explain why the quad of Muscle of Love by Alice Cooper was issued instead of the far better and more popular Billion Dollar Babies. Not Sony, but still.

Plus, with Audio Fidelity not having the prestige of Rhino Records (nor a competent art department for their cardboard sleeves), them recouping profits would be much more difficult.

It would explain why the quad of Muscle of Love by Alice Cooper was issued instead of the far better and more popular Billion Dollar Babies. Not Sony, but still.
No, B$B had already been out on Audio Fidelity disc. So they went for a new title not previously touched by the company. They could have grabbed the B$B album for quad, but were thinking maybe next time on that one.

Another missed opportunity for quad on AF.

Last edited:
No, B$B had already been out on Audio Fidelity disc. So they went for a new title not previously touched by the company. They could have grabbed the B$B album for quad, but were thinking maybe next time on that one.

Another missed opportunity for quad on AF.
But they didn't touch the quad in the first place, which says something, no? Why not reach for the quad unless they think it's not worth the cost?

The $30,000 tab on a title which AF licensed was the total cost for the first run licensed, pressed, and delivered in shrink wrap of 2,000 units. I wrote about my lunch with Marshall from AF when he told me this after I asked him. He also told me that Edgar Winter's hit album was not considered for release simply because it had been out on SACD before. He said there are collectors of DSD mastered titles (AF's then major market). Once it is out on DSD AF will not touch it. MFSL had EW Group out 10 years prior. Then AF released other titles which had already been out on DSD, or the surround mix had already been out. I jokingly called Marshall a liar. Aerosmith were off the table - not because they were not available, but because the fee was in fact way up there per album. So there are superstars who demand big advance fees. But none of the albums in my previous post I mention are those artists' albums.

Btw, the lunch I had with Marshall was at a Hollywood cantina on Hollywood Blvd. We talked for 2.5 hours about the quad program at AF. I often find myself at these Los Angeles record and audio events, parties, premieres, etc. I do things that put me in these places out of interest. Like get this, speaking of Hollywood, I took a temp job at Capitol Records in the promotion dept. - the Hollywood Tower on Vine street just so I could go in there and look out from the top floor of this historical building where the Beatles probably looked out. It was great! I often find myself talking to the president of the company or head of A&R. My interest is genuine and I think they see that. So then I sometimes get the invite to a lunch or an LA listening event. Of course I accept.
I can't imagine there is any way that it is costing DV $30,000 per title.

Are they paying less for licensing? Perhaps. But they also pay less by having the mastering engineer being the guy who owns/runs the company and not some "name" they put on the cover, and by not selling a bunch of other BS like "24K gold disc", "from the original master tapes", fancy jewel cases and individually numbered sleeves. They just sell the music which sounds damned good at an affordable price.

But they didn't touch the quad in the first place, which says something, no? Why not reach for the quad unless they think it's not worth the cost?
The previous Alice Cooper titles were issued by AF just before they decided to begin adding surround layers to many of the releases. They were in the stereo only business for most of their existence.

Thankfully, Dutton Vocalion must have a fabulous relationship with SONY or else they could never EVER release SONY/RCA QUAD SACD two~fers for US$16!

If ONLY Audio Fidelity had that sweetheart deal! 💔
I'm guessing DV only licensed rights for the UK which explains why they are imports even if great prices

Last edited:
A lot if the fun of this is speculating what might be coming and expressing our want lists, and not knowing for sure what’s coming next. But at least with the Quadio series they planned it out quarterly and have stuck to that time frame. So we get to anticipate the releases knowing about when to expect them. This surely beats waiting and not knowing if anything is coming at all.

We also know what was originally mixed in quad for Warner Records. We’re hot on the trail here!
The fun part is also those unexpected releases - stuff that we never expected in the Rhino world. Like Grunt material. Or War! Who saw those coming? That's what really makes the speculation even more fun!

Two random thoughts after reading this string.

1) I wonder if it benefits Rhino to release, for example, the James Taylor or Carly Simon albums one at a time or waiting for a box set? Neither has been celebrated like Joni in recent times. It would keep folks coming back for more if we know other JT or CS releases after a first one. Personally, I'd prefer a box set, especially Carly.

2) When I did a search to see how much $25 (the cost for a Rhino Quadio) would have been in 1974, it was $4.20. Who could buy a vinyl quad album or Q8 tape back in 1974 for $4? 😳
It's a better deal today than back then! And it's the stereo and quad versions!

The fun part is also those unexpected releases - stuff that we never expected in the Rhino world. Like Grunt material. Or War! Who saw those coming? That's what really makes the speculation even more fun!
Very true. I was of course surprised that those two arrived and arrived delighted as everyone they would nice and early in the series relaunch. And it does promise more things we have not "yet" considered possible. There will be a few more rabbits pulled out of hats before this is over I think.

1) I wonder if it benefits Rhino to release, for example, the James Taylor or Carly Simon albums one at a time or waiting for a box set? Neither has been celebrated like Joni in recent times. It would keep folks coming back for more if we know other JT or CS releases after a first one. Personally, I'd prefer a box set, especially Carly.

2) When I did a search to see how much $25 (the cost for a Rhino Quadio) would have been in 1974, it was $4.20. Who could buy a vinyl quad album or Q8 tape back in 1974 for $4? 😳
The Deep Purple Machine Head US quad that required purchasing a big box set to get - had me feeling oddly strung along. That is until I dropped the disc into my player and hit the play button. Once into a few songs played all that apprehension evaporated. I considered all the Quadio releases, prices and average cost per disc, and I came out with a new attitude about it all. Box set or no box set, does not matter here really. The sound of these discs, and the price overall, is what is important for me.

But Carly Simon is an odd situation. One of the early albums has no quad mix. The greatest hits album includes repeated content. So I don't mind how that shakes out. She's lower priority for me anyway.

"Sail Away" "Late For The Sky" "Miss M" a Herbie Mann, or MJQ, are higher on my list, and might be more wildly discreet mixes?

Yeah but the initial outlay recording marketing tour support etc has been long paid for
It's just profit at this point.

Lets hope we get back to some rock like the first batch and not this elevator music :rolleyes: we've been getting.
Would love to know what was the best selling batch so far.
Well the heavy rock pickings in the quad era are pretty slim on the ground for Rhino.
Really not much to pick from that's a legacy quad mix ready to go.

The Deep Purple Machine Head US quad that required purchasing a big box set to get - had me feeling oddly strung along. That is until I dropped the disc into my player and hit the play button. Once into a few songs played all that apprehension evaporated. I considered all the Quadio releases, prices and average cost per disc, and I came out with a new attitude about it all. Box set or no box set, does not matter here really. The sound of these discs, and the price overall, is what is important for me.

But Carly Simon is an odd situation. One of the early albums has no quad mix. The greatest hits album includes repeated content. So I don't mind how that shakes out. She's lower priority for me anyway.

"Sail Away" "Late For The Sky" "Miss M" a Herbie Mann, or MJQ, are higher on my list, and might be more wildly discreet mixes?
given Rhino miraculously got the likes of "Paranoid", Jefferson Starship, "Billion Dollar Babies", Roberta & Donny, the AWB, etc for the Quadio programme, while i've no info at all, it's just a hunch, it feels reasonably likely to me that the U.S. Quad mix of "Machine Head" was originally proposed as a standalone Quadio Blu-ray by Foraging Rhino and then some bean counter got wind of it's existence and thought "ah-ha! we'll just have that gem not re-released for 50 years for our upcoming Deluxe Edition to boost sales a bit..!!" 👀😅

i've had to set aside any desire for "Late For The Sky" tbh since Foraging Rhino said it was sadly off the table 😭 but things change of course so hopefully it will appear one day. as for "The Divine Miss M." that would be dream come true Quadio fodder, just the out and out hoot of a mix on the 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy' going around and around and around (!) the room should be enough to sell it!! 🤩😋

...while i've no info at all, it's just a hunch, it feels reasonably likely to me that the U.S. Quad mix of "Machine Head" was originally proposed as a standalone Quadio Blu-ray by Foraging Rhino and then some bean counter got wind of it's existence and thought "ah-ha!
monty-python-spanish-inquisition-quote.png

given Rhino miraculously got the likes of "Paranoid", Jefferson Starship, "Billion Dollar Babies", Roberta & Donny, the AWB, etc for the Quadio programme, while i've no info at all, it's just a hunch, it feels reasonably likely to me that the U.S. Quad mix of "Machine Head" was originally proposed as a standalone Quadio Blu-ray by Foraging Rhino and then some bean counter got wind of it's existence and thought "ah-ha! we'll just have that gem not re-released for 50 years for our upcoming Deluxe Edition to boost sales a bit..!!" 👀😅

i've had to set aside any desire for "Late For The Sky" tbh since Foraging Rhino said it was sadly off the table 😭 but things change of course so hopefully it will appear one day. as for "The Divine Miss M." that would be dream come true Quadio fodder, just the out and out hoot of a mix on the 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy' going around and around and around (!) the room should be enough to sell it!! 🤩😋
Please Jebus no on any Bette Middler.
Build a bigger table and get Late For the Sky on it pronto:SB

Back