Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not familiar with the term "R2R" what is the meaning ?
1720657471608.png

Wow...even Target (online) is carrying Quadio's. I will say one thing that's becoming rather obvious: this series has been an unqualified success for Rhino--I would say more than they ever thought it would be. For one thing we've now got the fifth round coming and I know some of the older ones have even had reissues. After the (sadly) relative debacle/untimely end of DVD Audio, SACD, Dual-Disc...and even Blu-ray Audio, I'm sure I speak for a lot of people in thinking that's so good to see! It's also really cool to see them digging deep in the vaults--some forgotten classic albums are being re-released in the best fidelity they've ever been in.

Maybe "ForagingRhino" can add some insight here as to their expectations vs reality?

I have the perfect system for these too: Five powerful full-range speakers (SEALED mains go to 28hz) and one of the best fully-analog multi-channel preamp & amps ever made. Glorious :)
501hpino.1 (1).jpgspk-term-lores.jpg
rear_spk_long_lores.jpgrear_spk_close2_lores.jpg

I now have R2R & VU meter envy! :LOL:

Just after I'd bought my house (that was way back in 1999 but seems like yesterday!) there was a 2nd hand 4-channel TEAC for sale in a hi-fi shop, it was immaculate, but I had no spare money.
I lusted after a Quad R2R back in the 70's when I bought my Quad equipment but the money wasn't there. I feel your pain.
More important to me was my Thorenz TT for CD4 so I went that route.

Just after I'd bought my house (that was way back in 1999 but seems like yesterday!) there was a 2nd hand 4-channel TEAC for sale in a hi-fi shop, it was immaculate, but I had no spare money.
I’ve noticed that (unless things have changed a lot), the cost of the 4-channel R2R tapes far exceeds the cost of buying a nice quad deck. That is if one wants to have more than just a few tapes to enjoy. And with the arrival of prime 70s quad mixes appearing on well mastered discs - the investment would seem a cash sinkhole at this point.

I guess unless if one goes after easy listening and other oddities that are more unlikely to appear on a BluRay or SACD, it’s way late in the game. But it’s very cool for those that started the Q4 collecting around the time of the arrival of eBay on the scene, or even before that.

Last edited:
Yeah I just now realized it's come full circle:
Analog world: R2R means reel-to-reel (tape deck)

Digital world: R2R means resistor-to- resistor (DAC)--in an attempt to get as close as possible back to the analog world! :)

I had one of the very first TEAC OR QUAD decks on the East coast! There was a TEAC distribution center/repair shop near my college and with money saved from summer jobs and typing term papers for a buck a page, I scraped enough money to buy one. Unfortunately, those early decks were rather finicky and I found myself getting it repaired more often than I liked. I even added one of their gorgeous wired remote controls and an outboard Dolby b decoder for that added 10 db of noise reduction.

Thankfully, all that is behind me/us with the recent spate of sterling QUAD/ATMOS titles arriving en masse from the major and even minor record companies!

It only took 50 years but the wait was/is worth it.

Now if we could only add a 'psychic medium' to our QQ membership roster who could successfully 'decode' the future titles of all those upcoming Quadio/ATMOS releases! NO MORE GUESSING GAMES!

Megamind - Trailers & Videos - Rotten Tomatoes

Megamind: "I'm available!"

Last edited:
Back