RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
too soon?

Spec. Batch 6-A

QUADIO SPEC BATCH 6-A 2.jpg

and, Spec. Batch 6-B

QUADIO SPEC BATCH 6-B2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know the sales figures for the Quadios, maybe Rhino could become the Blu-ray audios (Atmos/5.1/4.0) DV equivalent, I'd pay a little more/album (to help pay the possible increased costs of licensing surround sound mixes from other labels).

Kirk Bayne

After looking over the potential options that may be available for inclusion of the Quadio series (and I need to compile a list of Label/Sub-Label 70's Quads to mine with Rhino access); it just seems to me, that after about another 2 or 3 batches (single Quadios) that it might be getting a little thin for even the Quad fanatics out here. Of course I'm personally in for the long haul and will gladly pick up all the releases, right down to the bottom of the barrel. In the near future, I'll add some titles here that would be even more questionable, but for the ravenous Quadies out there, they would still be a welcome addition to the series.

After looking over the potential options that may be available for inclusion of the Quadio series (and I need to compile a list of Label/Sub-Label 70's Quads to mine with Rhino access); it just seems to me, that after about another 2 or 3 batches (single Quadios) that it might be getting a little thin for even the Quad fanatics out here. Of course I'm personally in for the long haul and will gladly pick up all the releases, right down to the bottom of the barrel. In the near future, I'll add some titles here that would be even more questionable, but for the ravenous Quadies out there, they would still be a welcome addition to the series.
I wouldn't worry too much, JP, about RHINO running out of future QUAD/ATMOS titles to release.

And if I'm not mistaken, Warner also owns the Capitol/EMI classical catalogue and in the early 70's ANGEL RECORDS put out a ton of SQ encoded Vinyl LPs [which unfortunately were atrociously ticky/poppy/ and some were actually discrete and a fun listen!

And I can foresee down the road, a Carly Simon Quadio boxset as well as future JONI MITCHELL Atmos remixes from her earliest Reprise albums to her later Asylum albums!

Not to mention, the untapped CSN and CSNY catalogue which are ALL ripe for the ATMOS treatment.

I wouldn't worry too much, JP, about RHINO running out of future QUAD/ATMOS titles to release.

And if I'm not mistaken, Warner also owns the Capitol/EMI classical catalogue and in the early 70's ANGEL RECORDS put out a ton of SQ encoded Vinyl LPs [which unfortunately were atrociously ticky/poppy/ and some were actually discrete and a fun listen!

And I can foresee down the road, a Carly Simon Quadio boxset as well as future JONI MITCHELL Atmos remixes from her earliest Reprise albums to her later Asylum albums!

Not to mention, the untapped CSN and CSNY catalogue which are ALL ripe for the ATMOS treatment.

I do recall PM'ing with Bob Vosgien as he was perusing through the myriad of titles under evaluation for the original Rhino Handmade Quadio program of 2010. He did say he had access to all of the Capitol quads, but said the solo Beatles stuff would be tough to access. I believe I asked him to see if there was a 'Ringo' quad master since the graphic for the Q8 existed, but I never heard back from him as to whether he looked or not.

However, that was 14 years ago. I am not sure if the Capitol quads are available for the current Rhino program. The fact that Dutton-Vocalion has already put out a few (Helen Reddy) titles, it might mean that they are not, since WB has stated in the past that they were not able to connect with DV concerning licensing WEA albums for D-V release.

I do recall PM'ing with Bob Vosgien as he was perusing through the myriad of titles under evaluation for the original Rhino Handmade Quadio program of 2010. He did say he had access to all of the Capitol quads, but said the solo Beatles stuff would be tough to access. I believe I asked him to see if there was a 'Ringo' quad master since the graphic for the Q8 existed, but I never heard back from him as to whether he looked or not.

However, that was 14 years ago. I am not sure if the Capitol quads are available for the current Rhino program. The fact that Dutton-Vocalion has already put out a few (Helen Reddy) titles, it might mean that they are not, since WB has stated in the past that they were not able to connect with DV concerning licensing WEA albums for D-V release.

Capitol (of which the U/A quads are also under the umbrella of) is part of UMG, which is why D-V have been able to license the Helen Reddy Titles, along with the two Donald Byrd titles (which are actually on Blue Note, which was acquired by U/A before Capitol gobbled them up). The only real exceptions in all of that which are on Warner now are the WAR albums (four in total including the one unreleased), Eric Burdon's Sun Secrets and Jimmy Witherspoon's Love is a Five Letter Word, all of which are owned by Jerry Goldstein's Far Out Productions.

I think Mike Dutton would like to release more of the Capitol and U/A quads at a faster pace, but licensing with UMG is really slow - if people like them I encourage them to post about them here (Mike does peruse from time to time) and let D-V know via their website because there are still plenty of good ones in that stable to choose from.

Capitol (of which the U/A quads are also under the umbrella of) is part of UMG, which is why D-V have been able to license the Helen Reddy Titles, along with the two Donald Byrd titles (which are actually on Blue Note, which was acquired by U/A before Capitol gobbled them up). The only real exceptions in all of that which are on Warner now are the WAR albums (four in total including the one unreleased), Eric Burdon's Sun Secrets and Jimmy Witherspoon's Love is a Five Letter Word, all of which are owned by Jerry Goldstein's Far Out Productions.

I think Mike Dutton would like to release more of the Capitol and U/A quads at a faster pace, but licensing with UMG is really slow - if people like them I encourage them to post about them here (Mike does peruse from time to time) and let D-V know via their website because there are still plenty of good ones in that stable to choose from.

Good job steelydave. I should have known you'd know the scoop. You are not only the Quadraphonic expert and "librarian" of QQ, but your knowledge of this old stuff is unparalleled.

This forum is damn lucky to have you here, and I hope that you feel the appreciation for your work from the masses, as I certainly appreciate your contributions and the effort you go through with your historical posts and unlimited information going way back to the early days of QQ.

Back