RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is Billy Cobham - Spectrum a possibility to be released on Quad by Rhino? This is one of my favorite albums.
Rhino has done a DVD-A / DTS disc already in 2001 giving better 5.1 sounds
(A clever 2 sided Disc so any without a DVD-A player, the other side for DTS 5.1 and Dolby 5.1)
Something Billy Cobham wanted.

And in 2016 Audio Fidelity (now sadly closed down) did a great 4 Ch Quad SACD.

Last edited:
I asked Stephen Barncard (who engineered that album, as well as Crosby's solo) what the chances of a surround would be. Didn't sound too hopeful.

Money was the main thing: to paraphrase, give him 50,000 dollars to fund the project and he'd do it. Time for crowd-funding???
Awesome album. Btw, Barncard did the surround on IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER MY NAME, and it sounds really good.
Thanks for that info, appreciated, I'll stop dreaming about "BATE", now as for Rod Stewart about Atlantic Crossing or love a new Dolby Atmos of Every Picture Tells A Story. Any chance Eagles QUAD box like Jomi's from Asylum ? Be great to get the QUADS as well as new surround mixes of 1st album and Desperado.

Any chance Eagles QUAD box like Jomi's from Asylum ? Be great to get the QUADS as well as new surround mixes of 1st album and Desperado.
Just to spare you having any expectations for this, people ask this question almost everyday and Foraging Rhino keeps saying it's not going to happen. Sorry. It appears that the surviving members and the management have no interest in this happening.

Last edited:
Not sure if the first one's been said here & I know the second one has been Rhino-released in some inferior format like DTS or something in the past...but I'd love to see one or both these in the next Quadio batch. The Arlo release has no "City of New Orleans" megahit track (respective Hobo album sadly not in quad) but several tunes would sound awesome in 4ch (in particular the last three)--and the Herschberg/Waronker team recording is typically excellent :)

R-8298397-1458888888-2636.jpg

R-1603448-1255448108.jpg

Maybe a moot point if the Absolute Elsewhere quad masters are MIA - I guess that means we just have to take even more care of our CD-4 copies - but the 2009 Wounded Bird CD reissue gives the copyrights to Warner Bros. Records Inc., manufactured by Rhino Entertainment Company, and the 2016 Japanese release attributes them to WEA International.

If they're going to do another Aretha album, I'd much rather get Live at Fillmore West, one of my favourite live quad albums of all time - a barn-burner of a performance by Aretha (backed by King Curtis and his band) and a phenomenal Gene Paul/Arif Mardin quad mix.

If they're going to do another Aretha album, I'd much rather get Live at Fillmore West, one of my favourite live quad albums of all time - a barn-burner of a performance by Aretha (backed by King Curtis and his band) and a phenomenal Gene Paul/Arif Mardin quad mix.

OK that one also, but I'd like to see a reissue of Aretha's greatest hits for those of us who are kicking ourselves in the butt for not buying it the first time around.

OK that one also, but I'd like to see a reissue of Aretha's greatest hits for those of us who are kicking ourselves in the butt for not buying it the first time around.
Indeed but also the hear these solid Quad mixes in 192/24.

I think both Aretha albums deserve a release on Blu-Ray and I'm confident they'll be bigger sellers this time around.

Thanks for that info, appreciated, I'll stop dreaming about "BATE"
Never stop dreaming! Think about how depressed everyone was a few years ago when 5.1 was sagging and there was no
Atmos on the horizon. Things change in our fun little hobby, and not always for the worse. GenAA, whatever alphabet
choice media may pick for those after Gen Z (always wondered what's after "post modern"? post-post modern"? lol)
may develop a taste for the oldies and have better tech to convert stereo to surround cheaply.

Oh man. A 5.1 BLOWS would be heavenly. Definitely the #1 album of my desert isle.

No tapes on all. I don't think we have rights to Elsewhere.
"Absolute Elsewhere" was never released on LP in the US (quad or otherwise). The quad was a UK release only at the time. So it would make sense that any quad (or stereo) master would most likely not be found in the US. Strong guess it remains in the UK. I would be surprised if WB signed them up and did not include the US territory. This might be an early morning phone call away from reality.

Last edited:
Not exactly on the front burner, but still on the radar for some folks!

Stardrive With Robert Mason – Intergalactic Trot
Edgard Varèse: Offrandes, Intégrales, Octandre, Ecuatorial
Columbia - Princeton Electronic Music Center: Original Four-Channel Versions of Electronic Compositions
Kurt Weill - Suite From The Threepenny Opera / La Création Du Monde - Darius Milhaud / The Contemporary Chamber Ensemble
William Bolcom – Piano Music By George Gershwin
Absolute Elsewhere - In Search of Ancient Gods

Oh and by the way, "La Création Du Monde" is an amazing modern classical piece that weaves in and out of jazz as it twists and turns. I think it's Darius Milhaud's most famous work. The RCA <<< Living Stereo >>> recording from 1962 gets the most notice.

Last edited:
Herbie Mann - "Push Push" alt cover!
I can see a Quadio logo at top left corner, sort of.

eJ7R61v.jpg

Reactions: GOS
"Absolute Elsewhere" was never released on LP in the US (quad or otherwise). The quad was a UK pressing only at the time. So it would make sense that any quad (or stereo) master would most likely not be found in the US. Strong guess it remains in the UK. I would be surprised if WB signed them up and did not include the US territory. This might be an early morning phone call away from reality.
those UK exclusive CD-4 LPs were manufactured at Sonopress, maybe the tapes are in Germany? 👀🤷🏻‍♀️

Not sure if the first one's been said here & I know the second one has been Rhino-released in some inferior format like DTS or something in the past...but I'd love to see one or both these in the next Quadio batch. The Arlo release has no "City of New Orleans" megahit track (respective Hobo album sadly not in quad) but several tunes would sound awesome in 4ch (in particular the last three)--and the Herschberg/Waronker team recording is typically excellent :)

View attachment 108127
This Arlo Guthrie album is such a very strong production - recording and mix to quad. I need to listen to again because years ago I found it not very memorable musically.

Back