Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigger question, where is the AC power for the projector? You don't want that in the same conduit as the video.
Bigger question; How many seats? Is there a riser/second row? Where are we all gonna sit when we have our annual QQ meeting there?
Need to get this organized. Looks like finished by fall. I'll bring the popcorn. Now who will sign up for the beer, pizza, and munchies? I guess cots for sleepover in garage?
Projector -Separate dedicated Romex to a Furman . Not sure on seating. No risers, we will all fit - its basically a 26 x 36 room. If I need to rent a section of bleachers, I will. There are 2 bedroo,,,,err offices out there. Perhaps Mrs Cbmmm3 will allow some of us in the house

We'll get this figured out. First gottagiterdun

Last edited:
I see cardboard over the blue boxes to keep future insulation out? But suggest you wrap each box with foil tape like used on AC ducts to seal all holes from air infiltration. Or you can use spray foam, but messier to work with in case of future changes. What lighting control are you using? You can get 120v RGBW Mi lights with screw in bases and RF control.
everything was wrapped and airtighted today as Im going to start insulating. The boxes will get foamed over in a few weeks

Amp? Singular? Surely we're talking a rack of 30 monoblocs, to bi-amp every speaker in the 9.4.6 setup... (I may have mis-remembered the setup being installed).
there will be a combo of stereo and mono amps to power the system. there will be 10 amps - prolly wont need a furnace in the winter but will need to pull heat out in summer so the back equipment room has an exhaust fan

Here are some of the 'knowns' and 'unknowns' -

The walls are 12' high. This will make for a nice 120" projector screen. I will be doing a Sony projector. The thought is 9 floor speakers, 4 subs and 4 ceiling speakers. But 9 floor speakers ? Shit its only a 24 x 22 audio room Seems like it may be overkill ? Maybe Ill go 7 floor speakers ?
Any comments regarding this issue are appreciated
In USA the wall between the garage and
My project started as a dream many years ago. It has finally progressed to the point of moving the dirt to make the dream a reality. This thread will document the journey. I welcome your comments and suggestions.
In the meantime - see the attached blueprints. The Great Room is the Audio Video room. You can see - via Print I have a false wall 4-1/2 feet in from rear wall with doors to access this back area. Labeled as Storage. This is where I will locate most
of the audio componentry

View attachment 103592View attachment 103593

It's too late Ralphie! I get my own space, as denoted by my initials. RM.... R Moore

View attachment 103594
In USA the wall between garage and great room would need to be fire rated. 5/8 drywall both sides and all openings closed by 2 hr rated doors which generally means metal. And the fire rating would have to go all the way to the roof line. You want to maintain access to the attic over the theater for future wiring etc. Either a pull down stair somewhere or an access from the top of the garage divider if garage ceiling is open ceiling.
I think I'd turn the "snack ledge" 90 degrees and add bar stools for anyone wanting to watch the movie and snack.

You want Halon inert gas system like computer rooms use. Marantz hate taking a a bath!
Halon gasses are not inert, some of them are quite nasty. Halon dump hasn't been legal in the UK for a couple of decades I believe. It steals all the oxygen in the room, so if the fire doesn't kill you the halon dump will. In my first job 1987 to 1990 we had a halon dump in the machine room with big Data General super minicomputers, and we were told if the fire alarm went off when you were in the machine room you were to do one thing only, namely exit the room as soon as possible. I was advised that if the route to the door was blocked, jumping out of the second floor windows (which did open) was safer than staying in the room with the halon dump.

Last edited:
In USA the wall between garage and great room would need to be fire rated.
Same has applied in the UK for at least 60 years. My parents house built in 1960 has an integral garage. The walls between it and the other rooms are double skin masonry breeze blocks with a cavity between the skins, very similar to the exterior house walls. The internal connecting door is fire rated and very heavy, we turned round which side it is hung from. The ceiling of the garage was white asbestos sheets, my dad got the asbestos removal men in very promptly. Then he had to redo the ceiling in fire rated plasterboard (drywall), only one layer but it is thicker than normal and has fibre glass reinforcing threads in it. And then you have to have the ceiling skimmed with plaster, it isn't to building regulations if the bare fire rated plasterboard is still exposed on the garage side. This is to remove the paper surface as an ignition source from a naked flame, even though it is flame retardant paper on that side (it's a different colour so you can tell which side is which). It doesn't have to go up to the roofline, hence the fire rated ceiling for the garage. You're allowed to have rooms including bedrooms above there, my parents have a bathroom up there.

I would 2x4 cross brace at each end of the ceiling speaker boxes so you have support to nail the drywall. And probably glue it on the structure around the speakers. Don't want any rattles or sheet rock rattling there. And add insulation on top the enclosures before drywall. Or maybe that's already done?

Halon gasses are not inert, some of them are quite nasty. Halon dump hasn't been legal in the UK for a couple of decades I believe. It steals all the oxygen in the room, so if the fire doesn't kill you the halon dump will. In my first job 1987 to 1990 we had a halon dump in the machine room with big Data General super minicomputers, and we were told if the fire alarm went off when you were in the machine room you were to do one thing only, namely exit the room as soon as possible. I was advised that if the route to the door was blocked, jumping out of the second floor windows (which did open) was safer than staying in the room with the halon dump.
When I did my PhD I would occasionally have to go and get 'stuff' from the cabinet kept in the machine room (quite a few DECs & a Meiko Computing Surface - a massive parallel processor based around a huge number of Transputers running Occam), I was told if the fire alarm went off I had maybe a minute to get out before the Halon dump occurred and I'd be dead! I tried never to go in there and where possible kept my data elsewhere.

I tried never to go in there and where possible kept my data elsewhere.
I didn't have that option, I was one of the system administrators so had to go in there frequently. Fortunately there was no working permanently in the machine room, as much for it being very cold in there due to 18C (64F) air con for the machines as for the Halon.

I don't remember if it was before / after the company did away with the mainframe computer but I had to go in the room a few times on some data related things and I was told they had a halon system to extinguish any fires that may occur. This would have been circa early '80's I think.
All I remember is a bank of cannisters which I assume held the gas and a series of lines emanating from them.

When the mainframe was discarded for... (mini's?) I know 7 people lost their jobs.
I think this was the transition from General Electric to Gates Energy Products, years before Eveready bought the plant.
Speaking of Eveready...Remember the bunny that kept going and going and...? That was us.

An update - sorta
The barn walls are now fully insulated. Drywall gets stocked on Monday and starts to get hung on Thursday. And next week Thursday or Friday I should - FINALLY !! - have electricity !!!
Today was a low key day for me and Mrs Cbmmm3. We sat on the barn porch and watched a helicopter crop duster spray the local farms. My God - the growing season up here has been perfect ---corn is 8 foot high already !! Beans are big and full - winter wheat harvest is on going and results are amazing. Its a good year to be a farmer up here ! Seeing lots of new equipment in the fields........

An update - sorta
The barn walls are now fully insulated. Drywall gets stocked on Monday and starts to get hung on Thursday. And next week Thursday or Friday I should - FINALLY !! - have electricity !!!
Today was a low key day for me and Mrs Cbmmm3. We sat on the barn porch and watched a helicopter crop duster spray the local farms. My God - the growing season up here has been perfect ---corn is 8 foot high already !! Beans are big and full - winter wheat harvest is on going and results are amazing. Its a good year to be a farmer up here ! Seeing lots of new equipment in the fields........
Electricity:

Most of the corn here goes to silage for feed. The farmers here are/have harvested the corn already.
When it all is green and pretty, I'm often tempted to pull off the road near my house and pick a few ears of that field corn. But I don't. I used to grow corn every few years and we would put it up, just like we used to do a lot of canning of different veggies.
I just can't do all that anymore so I do container gardening for my veggies now.
Damn I'm getting old.

Most of the corn here goes to silage for feed. The farmers here are/have harvested the corn already.
When it all is green and pretty, I'm often tempted to pull off the road near my house and pick a few ears of that field corn. But I don't. I used to grow corn every few years and we would put it up, just like we used to do a lot of canning of different veggies.
I just can't do all that anymore so I do container gardening for my veggies now
Boonie
Me and Mrs will buy a ton of sweet corn, boil it and bag it for the freezer. Nothing like some sweet corn in the dead of the winter here in Michigan

Boonie
Me and Mrs will buy a ton of sweet corn, boil it and bag it for the freezer. Nothing like some sweet corn in the dead of the winter here in Michigan
I used to grow it about every 3 years. On this sand hill I live on, the ground is very poor and I would have to till in a bunch of fertilizer.
Net result: good corn and depleted soil. But man, walking out to the garden and picking fresh corn is so good.
The old tiller gets no love these days. It was bought in 1982 from Western Auto by a friend...we traded her a small camper for it many years ago.
Was well worth the trade. But the old garden gets no love now. Container gardening close to the house is all I can do.

Back