Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah...USA.

I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I made that post. Everybody knows CDs taste far better, especially when blended into a smoothie...
Yes but cassette tapes are easier on the teeth. I like mine with a little Dijon mustard and a fresh japaleno.

Any amongst you motorheads or mechanics may get a kick out of this.

I have a chainsaw that ran too hot and I had to tear it down and replace the piston/ring/cylinder etc.
Installed the new ring over the new piston, slipped in a new rod bearing, slid the piston in place and inserted the wrist pin, circlips.

Tried for weeks to slip the cylinder over the piston, but the ring would never compress enough to get into the bore of the cylinder.
Arrrggghhh!

Today I went out to the shop and did it 3 times in a row, zip zap, well ok then.
So I applied the high heat silicone gasket material in the proper places, slipped the cylinder over the piston, tightened the 4 bolts holding the cylinder.... and bam! Bob's your Uncle.
I cussed it so much it finally submitted. :unsure:

I came into the house for a cool snack to celebrate.

National Vinyl Record Day
National Vinyl Record Day on August 12 is your chance to go old school. Spin music lovers all around the world have disagreements on a number of things, but one thing we think everyone can agree on is that vinyl records are here to stay. For those who value the quality of sound, owning physical copies of your favorite albums, or simply the nostalgia factor, it’s probably safe to assume you’ve got your own collection of vinyl records stashed away somewhere. So now’s your time to dust off the old needle and let the music take you away on a cloud of good, good, good, vibrations.

National Vinyl Record Day
National Vinyl Record Day on August 12 is your chance to go old school. Spin music lovers all around the world have disagreements on a number of things, but one thing we think everyone can agree on is that vinyl records are here to stay. For those who value the quality of sound, owning physical copies of your favorite albums, or simply the nostalgia factor, it’s probably safe to assume you’ve got your own collection of vinyl records stashed away somewhere. So now’s your time to dust off the old needle and let the music take you away on a cloud of good, good, good, vibrations.

"There is a lot of evidence that suggests that much of the vinyl that is being bought is not being played.
It's being bought as a fetish object
, as a way of demonstrating that you're into something old school & cool."

--Michel Faber, author, Listen: On Music, Sound and Us
Rock's Backpages Podcast, 20 Nov 2023, @ 6:00 minutes
https://www.rocksbackpages.com/Podcast/Episode/e165

On the other hand, a lot of us here are genuinely old school & cool. 😎

"There is a lot of evidence that suggests that much of the vinyl that is being bought is not being played.

I've bought quite a few replacement LPs of old battered and worn albums which I haven't played, they're kind of in reserve - I'm tempted by the vinyl re-release of In Search Of Space but only if its got the booklet. I have my original cassette (my first ever album), a re-release non-gatefold, a 2nd hand original LP with booklet - madness I know!

Just my personal opinion, but I think Gavin Harrison is the best Prog drummer.
I guess I missed the song you were quoting.
Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Pronounced” album has a song titled “Things Goin’ On” with those lyrics. And the drummer on that album is Bob Burns.

To what song/artist were you referring?

Oh I'm not cool, not by a long shot, but I definitely Old School!

I also play what I buy or if it hasn't been played in a year, it's gone!

I had a friend that had a CB radio and I am (almost) sure that Jim and many others were inspired after seeing the movie "Convoy" to get their own. Because I was so young when we lived in Mission Viejo, I only listened to my record player and the few 45's that I had. My interest in CB wained pretty quickly as my LUV for music exploded. I got my first stereo shortly after arriving in Sacramento (I was around 6 years old) so most of my time was spent playing "big aka 33 and 1/3) records and listening to FM radio on headphones on my father's rig. I don't listen to terrestrial radio much (I have SiriusXM in my BMW because, in their ultimate wisdom, they discontinued putting CD players after the 2019 model year) and I don't stream as I am a physical product nut aka collector/enthusiast.
CB was always, ALWAYS considered low-life by real hams. It takes a bit of study and practice to get a ham license, and I think it took a $5 bill to get a CB license. Not to mention that CBers tended to ignore regulations like power limitations.

All those silly 10 codes (10-4 good buddy) were simply jargon for jargon's sake. There's a bit of ejumacationalization in the movie "Smokey and the Bandit" about CB talk, and it reveals just how silly it all was.

While amateur radio is, by definition, amateur, most hams I know have a certain pride in their professional attitude toward the hobby. Truth be told, I never actually took a license exam, but I had studied both procedures and Morse code enough that when the Army sent me to radio operator school, I was already a good month ahead of me fellow trainees. They gave me a chance to practice my "fist" (morse code keywork), and I got pretty good at it. If I ever decide I need a way to pass the time, I'll probably get a ham ticket and get on the air with CW (constant wave, aka Morse code). But chatting over a microphone and a radio just never floated my boat. I'm a pretty dedicated AV fan, and I have been since I got my first stereo.

I'm not opposed to any sort of media delivery method, as long as it sounds good. I don't have any audio streaming subscriptions, although I do have Netflix, Prime, and hulu. They are a good way to find programming that you like. Terrestrial radio, at least in Boise, is pretty much a downer. Listen to Harry Chapin's "W-O-L-D."

CB was always, ALWAYS considered low-life by real hams. It takes a bit of study and practice to get a ham license, and I think it took a $5 bill to get a CB license. Not to mention that CBers tended to ignore regulations like power limitations.

All those silly 10 codes (10-4 good buddy) were simply jargon for jargon's sake. There's a bit of ejumacationalization in the movie "Smokey and the Bandit" about CB talk, and it reveals just how silly it all was.

While amateur radio is, by definition, amateur, most hams I know have a certain pride in their professional attitude toward the hobby. Truth be told, I never actually took a license exam, but I had studied both procedures and Morse code enough that when the Army sent me to radio operator school, I was already a good month ahead of me fellow trainees. They gave me a chance to practice my "fist" (morse code keywork), and I got pretty good at it. If I ever decide I need a way to pass the time, I'll probably get a ham ticket and get on the air with CW (constant wave, aka Morse code). But chatting over a microphone and a radio just never floated my boat. I'm a pretty dedicated AV fan, and I have been since I got my first stereo.

I'm not opposed to any sort of media delivery method, as long as it sounds good. I don't have any audio streaming subscriptions, although I do have Netflix, Prime, and hulu. They are a good way to find programming that you like. Terrestrial radio, at least in Boise, is pretty much a downer. Listen to Harry Chapin's "W-O-L-D."
CB was/is definitely several steps below HAM but for the reasons that you listed above did not avail itself to mass public acceptance much like DVD-AUDIO and SACD'S .

Huh? :unsure:

CB radio might be low brow, but it's part of Americana...and no, I don't own one.

You said it! CB radio is definitely low brow. That is why my wife and I, both with masters degrees (and then some,) had one. I hated the thing, but my wife wanted it for traffic back then. Given all of the CB specific jargon, using a CB radio was considered to be foreign language studies...slightly more difficult than Mandarin. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back