Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really good band , toured in Europe opening for UFO, no represses of this one

Liar.jpg

Total wacko (who isn't?), but maaaaaan what a voice. Truly captivating. I lose myself in the pain of some of her songs.
Dug Simone's rendition of "Wild is the Wind" so much that i headed to the basement to retrieve the very first version of the song i ever heard:
31180F48-0E51-4A1D-B375-FDA8BBBBE5F9_1_105_c.jpeg

Bowie certainly owes a debt to Simone!
Keep spinning, comrades!

Man, i was crushed when We lost Prince. Two of the greatest shows i EVER saw were Prince (9 December 1982 and 24 April 1998). One of my students seemed equally devastated–he had just gotten into Prince about a year earlier and was working on being a multi-instrumentalist himself. Any hoo, he was so despondent for about a week that i brought in my vinyl of Purple Rain and gave it to him. You'd have thought i gave him a kidney! He was so touched. It was worth it. Well, now that i'm spinnin' again, i just had to get a replacement! Purple Reign!
1856A205-C0CF-4D3C-BD43-942E833403ED_1_105_c.jpeg

I spent lots of time and money at Dave's over the years. It was previously a local chain 2nd Hand Tunes. Dave was Manager for them and is a great guy.

I have a sealed Full Sail SQ I bought from him before the SACD was released. I was anticipating a new TT purchase. VPI will have to wait. I also have an open SQ and Q8 of this. GET THE QUAD SACD.

Additional posts related to Dave's in Chicago or other Record Stores gone should be posted in this thread. We welcome Clement's comments in this thread, too:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/remembering-record-stores.15980/

When i stayed at Addison & Halsted, back in the daze, i often dropped my dough @ 2nd Hand Tunes. I had long since moved to the burbs and gone digital by the time the store became Dave's. I'll mos' def' record some record store memories . . . in the not-too-distant future! For now, i'm riding the groove of black matter–when i returned Joy Division to the basement, i emerged with this beauty! Hoo boy, definitely got a contact high when i pulled it off the shelf! And as soon as the needle dropped, i had a flashback . . . or three! Armadill-ill-ill-ill-ill-illo-o-o-o-o! . . . Chemical change–like a laser beam! . . . But somehow, it all falls apart . . .
7147E485-9B12-4232-8294-D5CD10470485_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a baaaad boy . . . a maaaal man! Two of the records i scored yesterday skipped, so i headed down to Dave's on the antepenultimate day of its existence. Spent a long time talking to Dave and browsing the stacks again.
391C83B3-0BB4-423F-B23A-604B7BA665B3_1_105_c.jpeg

I'll be honest, comrades, i'm feeling a tad trapped–encircled by my recently resurrected vinyl addiction!

41903023-6912-41EA-AE1A-2430475DC68F_1_105_c.jpeg

Any hoo, Dave graciously refunded my money . . . and i gave it right back! Look what i came home with:
1671231313317.png

Well, at least i only bought a dozen today . . . though two are box sets . . . @GOS – lower right is for you! Well, not for you–because of you! Dave was sold out of Seger–I did look to buy that for you!

Last edited:
I'm a baaaad boy . . . a maaaal man! Two of the records i scored yesterday skipped, so i headed down to Dave's on the antepenultimate day of its existence. Spent a long time talking to Dave and browsing the stacks again.
View attachment 86366
I'll be honest, comrades, i'm feeling a tad trapped in my newfound vinyl addiction!

View attachment 86367
Any hoo, Dave graciously refunded my money . . . and i gave it right back! Look what i came home with:
View attachment 86368
Well, at least i only bought a dozen today . . . though two are box sets . . . @GOS – lower right is for you! Well, not for you–because of you! Dave was sold out of Seger–I did look to buy that for you!

The 13th Floor Elevators!! I have that one!!! Trippy stuff....

Back