The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm ok if the Atmos effect is derived via that description. That's as expected.
The base 5.1 mix better be discrete though...

It seems rather strange to me that they'd use the stereo remix as the base for the Atmos mix instead of the 5.1, but I think what they're actually going for a Monster Music-type release with two distinct surround mixes: the Atmos will be a more conservative/room-filling experience, while the standard 5.1 will be more active/discrete (like last year's White Album 5.1). Hopefully the final results will please everyone :)

It seems rather strange to me that they'd use the stereo remix as the base for the Atmos mix instead of the 5.1, but I think what they're actually going for a Monster Music-type release with two distinct surround mixes: the Atmos will be a more conservative/room-filling experience, while the standard 5.1 will be more active/discrete (like last year's White Album 5.1). Hopefully the final results will please everyone :)
Fremer is too vinyl biased to give any other format a chance. Mine is on order and if we do not get any further reviews fully expect the atmos mix to knockour socks off. Giles knows what hes doing, this could be the make or break of ATMOS music.

Granted, we should be thankful this is coming out and I will welcome whatever I can get, but they have multitracks to go back to and an object based surround mixing system and we get an atmos mix of speakers played back in a room with mikes for the speaker feeds. A missed opportunity to promote a new format in my opinion. I get trying to balance a new mix by keeping it as close to the original that soooo many people know but.............

Granted, we should be thankful this is coming out and I will welcome whatever I can get, but they have multitracks to go back to and an object based surround mixing system and we get an atmos mix of speakers played back in a room with mikes for the speaker feeds. A missed opportunity to promote a new format in my opinion. I get trying to balance a new mix by keeping it as close to the original that soooo many people know but.............

Sounds to me more like a bogus attempt to cash in on the newest ATMOS craze rather than accessing the [supposedly] pristine 8 track masters for a fully discrete ATMOS remix!

As many predict, releasing an extremely high profile title like Abbey Road in ATMOS could singlehandedly make or break the fledgling format and those 'smelling a rat' will, IMO, be mightily disappointed.

See the source image

I’ll refrain from personal editorial but for discussion’s sake I wanted to post the ATMOS-related excerpt by Michael Fremer about the preview listening he attended in NYC. I highly recommend clicking on and reading the full piece here.
What's the point in playing a stereo recording in a big room and recording the room sounds for surround?! I can play the same stereo recording in my own house and hear real "room sounds"! I'm paying for bigger room sounds?! WTF!

What's the point in playing a stereo recording in a big room and recording the room sounds for surround?! I can play the same stereo recording in my own house and hear real "room sounds"! I'm paying for bigger room sounds?! WTF!

WTF, is right on, skherbeck. In edisonbaggins' terms: it would like Skydiving without a Parachute! 🛩

I'm not ready to open a vein because of one review, though I don't love what I read. The Atmos better be cool, if Atmos music knows what's good for it. I expect the 5.1 to be at least as cool as The White Album.
If Abbey Road takes a giant shit on Atmos, it will sting me and hurt the format, for sure, but I don't think it will impact our hobby or my enjoyment, at least, all that much.
I'll assume until proven otherwise that the powers that be don't want Atmos music to shit the bed with this title.

Playback through speakers for ambient recording of parts in a studio is a well-trodden, time-tested method of producing natural reverb, btw. It is employed all the time on albums that are classic and dearly-loved.

It just isn't particularly well-accepted or exciting when it's the only way surround content is created.

Last edited:
If Abbey Road takes a giant shit on Atmos, it will sting me and hurt the format, for sure, but I don't think it will impact our hobby or my enjoyment, at least, all that much.
I'll assume until proven otherwise that the powers that be don't want Atmos music to shit the bed with this title.

Perhaps the label on the Blu-ray will say:

silverline.jpg

Back