Thompson Twins - Into The Gap blu ray audio #29 in the SDE series

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite the price I had to order this as it's always been one of my favorite 80's synth pop titles - 5 big hits and the 4 remaining tracks very listenable. Based on the production and sound quality of the stereo CD, this should sound spectacular in Atmos. Looks like the blu-ray is packed with multiple streams of the main album plus 30 bonus tracks in stereo. I've passed on many of the previous SDE releases so felt comfortable splurging on this one.

The Atmos mix for the track up on AM is good, but the music is not my kind of music, and the price, j.... :rolleyes:
If my sense of nostalgia was stronger I'd be able to plug my nose/ears to get to the best tracks. It's definitely not my cup of tea anymore either. Objectively great in the era it was released, hasn't held up as well as say Tears For Fears, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, etc. If it was say $20 USD shipped I'd be all over this for that one or two times I'd ever listen to it.

I hate to post this here, but it's such an odd thing. So, I have an account/login with SDE shop. Yet, when I try to place an order (while logged in) the only option is to punch in a credit card information. No paypal. If I then click on continue as guest (even though I'm logged in), I get the option to use Paypal.

I've ordered but I'm also a bit disappointed with the high price. Unlike my previous 12 orders with SDE, they've used the psychological pricing trick of putting £29.99 to make it seem lower than it is. This is basically £30 whereas my previous order earlier this month was exactly £25.

As has been noted, this has got more bonus tracks than usual but I hope this pricing is not the new norm.

I hate to post this here, but it's such an odd thing. So, I have an account/login with SDE shop. Yet, when I try to place an order (while logged in) the only option is to punch in a credit card information. No paypal. If I then click on continue as guest (even though I'm logged in), I get the option to use Paypal.
May be it was a day of SDE website glitches! I ordered with out logging in, and it uses Shopify which I have used a few times, told me the order had been placed, but bizarrely it was still in my Checkout basket, so I logged in and the order really had been placed and the 'ghost' copy vanished from my basket!

I got confused by something similar when I ordered earlier. The screen below appeared upon viewing my cart and I found that if I entered nothing and clicked 'Check out', it takes me to another payment screen. I have no idea why it works like that.

Your-Shopping-Cart-–-theSDEshop-com-09-25-2024_10_42_PM.png

May be it was a day of SDE website glitches! I ordered with out logging in, and it uses Shopify which I have used a few times, told me the order had been placed, but bizarrely it was still in my Checkout basket, so I logged in and the order really had been placed and the 'ghost' copy vanished from my basket!
On the product page, it states:

"The premium packaging and the extremely generous level of content has meant that #29 in the SDE Surround Series has a slightly higher price tag than normal. They are not all going to be this price going forward..."

https://www.thesdeshop.com/products/thompson-twins-into-the-gap-sde-exclusive-blu-ray-audio

EDIT: Apologies to DuncanS, I've replied to the wrong comment. The intention was to reply to JurassicMark:

I've ordered but I'm also a bit disappointed with the high price. Unlike my previous 12 orders with SDE, they've used the psychological pricing trick of putting £29.99 to make it seem lower than it is. This is basically £30 whereas my previous order earlier this month was exactly £25.

As has been noted, this has got more bonus tracks than usual but I hope this pricing is not the new norm.

Last edited:
Such a good question on SDE by our dolbyblue:

"I do like this album but David’s recent Atmos mixes are a little puzzling, why does he almost completely ignore the centre channel? I like what he’s putting in the surrounds, but why utilize so well the four discrete surround channels in a 7.1 set-up and completely ignore one of the three front soundstage speakers? The best surround mixes use the centre channel, particularly to anchor lead vocals. Additionally the “point one” of a mix? Nothing there in David’s mixes. Wonder if Paul ever gets to discuss mixing strategies with the mixers of these titles given there are exclusive mixes (5.1) found on this disc? Would love to let David hear how the centre channel is used in reference surround mixes like Billy Joel’s The Stranger (5.1 SACD), Steven’s Atmos mix of King Ghost or the atmos mix of Take On Me, Bob Clearmountain’s 5.1 mix of Bob Marley’s Legend, etc.

Love all these amazing ’80s titles coming to Blu-ray, keep up the great work Paul!"

Paul Sinclair answers:

Centre channel is used for Into The Gap for vocals etc.

The cool part is look at this answer from David Kosten(who did the Atmos mix) to dolbyblue's question:

Thanks for your messages! It’s an interesting debate for audio mix nerds like me and those (also like me) fairly new to immersive mixing – and I think I agree with you (in general) about it being a cool thing for lead vocals to feature on the centre speaker. My preferences will probably evolve over time and depending on the project I work on too. FYI on one of the mixes I’ve made previously I had to use a stereo lead vocal stem inc effects, so a dry mono centre channel vocal wasn’t an option. And on another thepanning of the lead vocals moved around quite a bit, and I wanted to mirror this and ‘bake’ it (and also the lead vocal level) into the LR speaker mix. But on Into The Gap vocal (and mono bass) are happening lots and hopefully nobody’s gonna feel their centre speaker is unloved.

As for ‘Low Frequency Effects’ Atmos mix paths – the .1 sub speaker element ought to be fed from all the available audio paths and not the LFE mix channel alone – there’s tons of low end on the mixes I’ve delivered (including King Ghost which I mixed), though as they’ve been mostly classic 70’s/80’s tracks in Atmos perhaps not as much as say on a modern hip hop record! I don’t use the LFE mix path much it’s true as there’s already plenty enough low and sub in the mixes and it’s really meant more as a special effect boost if needed (historically more for film explosions / effects etc) and not the sole source of low end audio. Official line from Dolby in fact if you chat with them is if you mix music you probably won’t need the LFE mix path that much and the sub will be fed plenty from the overall mix instead. I do tickle it with bass, kick drums and LF one-off moments but as I say, there’s plenty of sub that ought to be going to the listener and sub speaker, LFE path aside. On Into The Gap Tom said I’d ‘opened the gates’ to allow loads of sub present on the drums for instance into the Atmos mix, which hadn’t made it into the original stereo mixes – vinyl mastering trends in ’84 did a good job of shaving off anything much below 50 or 60 Hz. This won’t show on the Low Frequency Effects channel path display but doesn’t mean the .1 speaker isn’t being used!

Hope this helps a bit!
DK

Back