WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I agree that this box is wildly overpriced and that things like the graphic novel are completely unnecessary, I’m not sure we can dismiss the CDs as “one-and-done” listens. While the surround mix is the biggest draw for me, the 1971 SF live show is a HUGE holy grail for Who fans, not to mention all the demos and alternate takes, which in the case of the Who, are often as fascinating as the finished tracks. I suspect that I will be listening to the CDs as much as the Blu-Ray.
Funny - I am looking forward to the graphic novel to see if it explains once & for all what Pete was on about with the whole Lifehouse concept! 🧐

Or you can just enjoy it as part of your Apple Music subscription for no additional cost.

Or not :). I'd much prefer the real LOSSLESS Atmos version. Don't get me started on the difference between that & the Apple music LOSSY fake Atmos ...well..."Substitute".

Yes it's better than nothing....but with a halfway decent HT system, anyone who can't tell the Atmos difference between the Apple version and a Blu-ray version needs to have their hearing checked.

Well... crap. I was away from home today and my wife went shopping, so no one was at home when UPS attempted delivery. Of course a signature is required. So now it gets to sit in a truck and won't be here until sometime Monday. Bummer! :(
I had the same signature required agenda. I went into UPS and opted out, so mine delivered without signature, yesterday.

Yes it's better than nothing....but with a halfway decent HT system, anyone who can't tell the Atmos difference between the Apple version and a Blu-ray version needs to have their hearing checked.
It’s pretty difficult to tell the difference on some titles, unless you start soloing specific channels (the heights in particular). Sorry you’re not a fan.

CD #4 in the box includes tracks recorded over three days in March 1971 in NYC. (None of these sessions ended up on Who's Next). Leslie West (of Mountain) joined the sessions as a second guitarist. The booklet mentions that "test quad mixes" of "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Getting in Tune" (at the time called "I'm in Tune") were prepared.

According to the book the studio, The Record Plant, opened in 1968. In 1970 it became the first studio capable of mixing for quad.

Wow, delivery day and people are still complaining, I don’t understand.
Mine comes from CDJapan Sept 27th and I am going to love all of it, I just know I will. So exciting and filled with joy.
The listening, the reading, the ripping, so lucky to have such a great hobby.
I know others that don’t have a hobby, and the highlight of there day is eating, what a drag.

Mine showed up a couple hours ago.

In my 10 most essential albums.
My 10th copy of this. So far, German CD (Bull's eye era) is best digital mastering. IMHO, better than Japan SACD, or MCA Gold
UK LP is best analog master.

Time for some critical listening to the surround mix, unreleased tracks and a/b the album itself. an all day sucker and then some.

"I may end up spending all my money,"

It’s pretty difficult to tell the difference on some titles.

Okay so maybe that critique was a bit harsh but I listened to both in a true Atmos setup and my 5.1 setup with but with some very good components involved (Audio Research/Classe/B&W, etc) & with the Beatles titles compared it was pretty apparent. The Apple streaming version just doesn't have the highs and the lows that the true disc one does, but it certainly a whole lot cheaper admission as you said!

One thing I am bummed about though is because it's so much cheaper to put it on the streaming version rather than a disc version, the true disc versions are becoming less and less prevalent. Streaming versions outnumber disc versions by a wide margin now.

Back