WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if you might prefer the Atmos fold-down? I did notice that the 5.1 mix makes frequent use of the 'phantom sides' (FL & RL, FR & RR) usually for rhythm guitar parts - like the acoustics in "Love Ain't For Keeping" - whereas many of those same elements are almost 100% isolated in the side speakers the Atmos mix. If you were to play the TrueHD 7.1/Atmos stream back on a 5.1 system, I imagine those parts might appear more forcefully panned to the back speakers.

I suppose you could call these side-wall pans in the 5.1 mix 'big stereo', but to me it's an effective compromise given the limited nature of the material - those guitar parts still sound connected to the rhythm section in the front, but having them pushed out further towards the back adds a bit of extra dimensionality. On a number of the bonus tracks, there are enough instruments in play to fill out all the 'phantom' positions (front center, rear center, left center, right center') and the traditional four corners.
Hmm, gee, now I'm thinking I'll need to re-rip the BD for 7.1.

I also want to rip the stereo for Bargain and run my own Penteo up-mix to try and see what all Steven has done with it.

I opened up the 5.1 of Bargain yesterday in Audacity and isolated some tracks, very interesting to say the least :unsure:

So, who has read the Life House graphic novel? It’s quite bonkers! (I’m not sure I like it)
If you look at this:

The Who LIFE HOUSE Graphic Novel - Signed by Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey

You can read some of the story of the Life House 'aborted' Rock Opera.

For collectors who are big fans of The Who, there are only 1000 copies at 1000 $ each. (952 EUR in that page).

And..... We have the graphic novel included in the 10CD+BD Box Set. What more could you want? :cool:

More info:
The Who's Life House Includes Amazing 172-Page Hardcover Graphic Novel
Pete Townshend - Life House>Elements

Here's "Behind Blue Eyes" - again, it looks very quiet and clean, you can see the background vocals in the rears. How great is that? :QQlove

View attachment 96389
Sure hope this BR goes into a small, more affordable set down the road. Much like the Pink Floyd 50th. We pre-ordered the stand alone PF 50th even though we will not be playing the 'Atmos' as we do not own that equipment. A classic record and just want another 'version' for that very reason. Wanted that booklet too though. One of our very favorite records of all time. We do collect some music. Although, things have slowed to a crawl now. More than obvious reasons why these days.....Jon, our posts are really awesome! ~Mike
Here's "Behind Blue Eyes" - again, it looks very quiet and clean, you can see the background vocals in the rears. How great is that? :QQlove

View attachment 96389

So, since some moron rear-ended my Mercedes a couple of months ago, my main place to listen to surround is gone. But I can listen on my Airpods, and I like what I hear so far.

My question is.. are the “2022 Remastered” stereo mixes on iTunes the new Wilson remix? I can’t tell. I was listening in the car and the drums sound like Wilson’s mixing but if I A/B with the original mix, it sounds pretty similar.

My question is.. are the “2022 Remastered” stereo mixes on iTunes the new Wilson remix? I can’t tell. I was listening in the car and the drums sound like Wilson’s mixing but if I A/B with the original mix, it sounds pretty similar.
I was under the impression that the Wilson stereo remix is exclusive to the Blu-Ray. Perhaps you are getting the binaural render of the Atmos mix? (which I thought sounded surprisingly good - the piano intro to "Getting In Tune" really did seem to float out beyond the headphones).

So, since some moron rear-ended my Mercedes a couple of months ago, my main place to listen to surround is gone. But I can listen on my Airpods, and I like what I hear so far.

Stereo streaming is the original mix. If you're in doubt, check The Song Is Over. The (newly re-recorded) synth is quite different in the second half of the song.

I’m a massive fan of SW’s 5.1 and Atmos mixes (particularly his YES 5.1 remixes and the recent and incredible ABC ‘Lexicon’ Atmos mix) but I have to be honest and say that I’m struggling somewhat with the Atmos mix of Who’s Next. I've listened to it three times and my opinion didn’t change. It really brings some elements to the fore (vocal harmonies, guitar overdubs and synths in a BIG way) but the lead vocals, drums and rhythm guitars invariably sound echoey, muddy and buried in the front/centre channel. Shock and awe in the rears! It’s an incredibly fun listen but to me, it’s more of a novelty than in keeping with overall balance of the original recording. The 5.1 mix appears to respect this more but perhaps that’s exactly what he was trying to achieve with the Atmos mix. If I’d been asked to guess who produced the Atmos mix, I would not have said that it was SW. But hey, (and sincerely) what the hell do I know? Maybe I just need more time with it but this is my initial impression and I feel a little disappointed. I’d be interested in the opinion of others regarding the Atmos mix.

Last edited:
Yikes! Should have stayed with fnac perhaps. Platekompaniet sent a mail today with a shipping notification, but previous experience telle me that means several days yet until delivery. Did you get hit with VAT?
A pleasant surprise: because of the books included with the discs, FNAC declared the package for customs as a "book". Books in Norway are VAT-free. So I did not get hit with either customs fees or VAT. Saved $100! Will obviously have to take a look at the graphic novel after all! Total price $229 is still massive for a blu-ray, but there aren't many other outlets which can match that price. Will definitely use FNAC in the future!

Stereo streaming is the original mix. If you're in doubt, check The Song Is Over. The (newly re-recorded) synth is quite different in the second half of the song.
I actually think the “Remastered 2022” stereo is the new mix. If you listen to the opening of WGFA, the hiss (and the squeaking of chairs, slight movement) is much more audible on both the FLAC rip of the BD-A stereo and the 2022 Remastered stereo from Apple Music. The rip I have of the Hoffman-mastered MCA disc has that hiss and ambient noise under the synth much more subdued.

Nice use of the word "cromulent" which is now, forever, linked to the word "embiggen".

https://riotfest.org/2018/03/06/embiggen-perfectly-cromulent/
;)
1695128561844.png

I actually think the “Remastered 2022” stereo is the new mix. If you listen to the opening of WGFA, the hiss (and the squeaking of chairs, slight movement) is much more audible on both the FLAC rip of the BD-A stereo and the 2022 Remastered stereo from Apple Music. The rip I have of the Hoffman-mastered MCA disc has that hiss and ambient noise under the synth much more subdued.

It’s not, it’s the original stereo mix.

Speaking of which, it gets really dull and repetitive after seeing them the first couple times. I wish they would at least use different photos for each song, there must be thousands of photos available from that era and I’m sure there’s space on the disc.
My same beef with “Turn of a Friendly Card.” If it’s that kind of a loop, just have one still.

I don’t get it, if the album songs are in ATMOS, why can’t the bonus track mixes be as well? It’s a small complaint, this set is incredible.
I think it’s because the 14 extra tracks that Steven Wilson remixed have no stereo counterpart on the 10 CDs, so there’s nothing for the streaming services to “link” the Atmos versions to (if that makes sense?).

Got mine from Amazon on Monday. Amazon actually did a good job of packaging and then the box set itself was in a separate inner box with foam all around. Absolutely no damage. This is a great well thought of box set. I have only been able to play the blu-ray so far but so much more to explore. I think this will be the most fun box set to enjoy that I have bought in years!

Back