WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stereo streaming is the original mix. If you're in doubt, check The Song Is Over. The (newly re-recorded) synth is quite different in the second half of the song.
I’m confused. It’s my understanding that when you have a new ATMOS mix on Apple Music, the stereo version ( which you get by turning off the ATMOS switch on the Apple Music app) is the new Stereo base mix of the material.

In the case of Who’s Next, in the pre release of the album, the main tracks were available as a 2022 stereo remaster of the original mix. After the release, On my Apple TV, those tracks now playback the new ATMOS version of the main album. If my first sentence above is accurate, one would assume that the stereo mix IS the new one?

It’s not, it’s the original stereo mix.
The Hoffman MCA disc sounds very different when compared to the "Remastered 2022" stereo mix. The intro to "Behind Blue Eyes" sounds very different. I'm comparing to direct rips of the stereo mix from the BD-A as well. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know how I'd know for sure. I like Apple Music but the way that the Music app decides which file to serve when you play a song is definitely not reliable unless you tell it to force Atmos. I have several different versions of Who's Next that I've uploaded to Apple Music/iTunes Match over the years and having downloaded the Hoffman MCA disc directly to my phone through Music, I'm convinced that is the correct mix, or at least a mastering of the old stereo mix.

Like I said, I'm not convinced I'm right, I'm just looking to clarify this.

I think I figured out the problem. I am looking at a rip of the SD box (since I'm still awaiting mine) and what I thought was ripped from the BD-A is actually "Disc 1" of the set. I'm dumb. It's kind of irritating that the SW mix is buried in an expensive-to-obtain box-set but then again, this is like the holy grail of classic rock SDE's.

Last edited:
Got mine from Amazon on Monday. Amazon actually did a good job of packaging and then the box set itself was in a separate inner box with foam all around. Absolutely no damage. This is a great well thought of box set. I have only been able to play the blu-ray so far but so much more to explore. I think this will be the most fun box set to enjoy that I have bought in years!
Each amazon site will have different stock policies.
Here in Spain, there have been other SDE boxes or blu-rays that are not available and only the regular CD or vinyl are. Not too much market for expensive boxes -blurays in Spain, I guess.

This time, the item is available in Amazon Spain but not at the local country store. My order (from amazon Spain) shipped yesterday, and today is leaving an Amazon store from France (near Lyon). So will be 3-4 days delivery from shipment, and not for the next day. Does not matter if I am "Prime".

I have had bad experiences recently with bad and simple amazon packaging from Amazon Spain store. As this Who's Next box is coming from abroad, I hope package will be more "premium".

How impatient I am! :cautious:

A pleasant surprise: because of the books included with the discs, FNAC declared the package for customs as a "book". Books in Norway are VAT-free. So I did not get hit with either customs fees or VAT. Saved $100! Will obviously have to take a look at the graphic novel after all! Total price $229 is still massive for a blu-ray, but there aren't many other outlets which can match that price. Will definitely use FNAC in the future!
Double yikes!! Good for you, and another nail in the Platekompaniet coffin for me. Oh well, at least I have it now.

I’m a massive fan of SW’s 5.1 and Atmos mixes (particularly his YES 5.1 remixes and the recent and incredible ABC ‘Lexicon’ Atmos mix) but I have to be honest and say that I’m struggling somewhat with the Atmos mix of Who’s Next. I've listened to it three times and my opinion didn’t change. It really brings some elements to the fore (vocal harmonies, guitar overdubs and synths in a BIG way) but the lead vocals, drums and rhythm guitars invariably sound echoey, muddy and buried in the front/centre channel. Shock and awe in the rears! It’s an incredibly fun listen but to me, it’s more of a novelty than in keeping with overall balance of the original recording. The 5.1 mix appears to respect this more but perhaps that’s exactly what he was trying to achieve with the Atmos mix. If I’d been asked to guess who produced the Atmos mix, I would not have said that it was SW. But hey, (and sincerely) what the hell do I know? Maybe I just need more time with it but this is my initial impression and I feel a little disappointed. I’d be interested in the opinion of others regarding the Atmos mix.
I can’t speak to the Atmos mix but the 5.1 struck me a bit like that. A bit distant and echoey due to the increased spaciousness, yet not as immersive and aggressive as I would have liked. So my first impression was actually quite disappointing. I know it’s a SW remix of one of the all time classics that I love and I should be rolling over and lapping it all up, but I was not knocked out.

I did however listen to the 5.1 of the bonus tracks today with the volume cranked even further, and those were great. Some of them very vintage quad-like. I must go back and hear the album tracks again, maybe my ears will adjust. But bass was very, very lacking on my setup. Doesn’t anyone else feel that way?

Not a big deal. a Sharpie will erase the damage.
Meher Baba (and Ronnie Lane) silently approves this post from the astral plane.

https://www.discogs.com/release/6087875-Pete-Townshend-Ronnie-Lane-Happy-Birthday
1695168824281.png

Has anyone received their Rarewaves order yet?

...asking for a friend. ;)
Same here.
Hoping there is movement this week

Addendum
I have a USPS tracking number but it appears package has not been handed off.

OK my tracking number has been updated with the following message and it is in Joisey,,,,,

Your item departed a shipping partner facility at 11:54 am on September 19, 2023 in SWEDESBORO, NJ 08085. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.

OK my tracking number has been updated with the following message and it is in Joisey,,,,,

Your item departed a shipping partner facility at 11:54 am on September 19, 2023 in SWEDESBORO, NJ 08085. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.
All this talk is making me want to pre order even though that would certainly be a bad financial decision...

well Amazon UK really outdid themselves this time 🤪🤣

the box set was supposedly on it's way to me all throughout yesterday morning.. but just after lunchtime Amazon emailed to say it's delayed all of a sudden and they reckon it will now be arriving in 2 weeks' time instead, on October the 3rd! 🤦‍♀️

i'd cancel and order elsewhere but it seems to be unavailable at the usual suspects? 👀

Who's Next indeed --- NEXT!!!! 😅🤣

Sorry to hear that Adam
For me Rarewaves confirmed my copy is on the way to America but has not arrived yet hence the non responsive USPS tracking code.

At least we are not dealing with gnarlywood as the shipper.

This just in…unless it is an elaborate ruse by those crafty Rarewaves devils?! 😈
1695212530049.jpeg

well Amazon UK really outdid themselves this time 🤪🤣

the box set was supposedly on it's way to me all throughout yesterday morning.. but just after lunchtime Amazon emailed to say it's delayed all of a sudden and they reckon it will now be arriving in 2 weeks' time instead, on October the 3rd! 🤦‍♀️

i'd cancel and order elsewhere but it seems to be unavailable at the usual suspects? 👀

Who's Next indeed --- NEXT!!!! 😅🤣
Are you in Bezos' Prime club?

Back