WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be crystal clear; this is down to the abysmal performance of our "Royal Mail", who are now just a very bad joke. :rolleyes:
postman pat.jpg

I doubt that this would ever happen but, how cool would it be if a handful of QQ forum members on the other side of the pond were given the opportunity to listen to SW Dolby Atmos mixes in SW’s own mixing studio.

I got to listen to Bruce Soord's Atmos mix of Jethro Tull's RökFlöte in Dolby's 32 speaker Atmos Screening Room at their Soho Square HQ. It sounded quite incredible where I was sat (we made sure we got in the middle of the middle.)

I got to listen to Bruce Soord's Atmos mix of Jethro Tull's RökFlöte in Dolby's 32 speaker Atmos Screening Room at their Soho Square HQ. It sounded quite incredible where I was sat (we made sure we got in the middle of the middle.)
So did listening to it at home come anywhere close to the experience for you? I’m just curious if we are only getting 80% of the magic that the mixers are hearing.

So did listening to it at home come anywhere close to the experience for you? I’m just curious if we are only getting 80% of the magic that the mixers are hearing.
I did a round trip test of Atmos. 7.1.4 wav -> encoded Atmos -> 7.1.4 wav
They sound the same. The Atmos codec works.

I did not see the Atmos release of Rock Flute though! Guess I need to pay more attention!

He mixes on Genelec's in 7.1.4 I believe. You could set up the same system and hear the mixes 1:1. Not sure what model Genelec he has but I know 12 of my 1032a would be around $20,000. Makes the ARs seem frugal!
I could set up the same system in a different logistical and financial universe and it still wouldn’t be his room. 🤷‍♂️

Relieved to see some members who ordered from RareWaves are receiving notice from USPS Informed Delivery that their packages are in the system. Honestly, $4.99 shipping seemed crazy cheap for a package that large. I placed my order September 11, curious when others placed theirs.

I could set up the same system in a different logistical and financial universe and it still wouldn’t be his room. 🤷‍♂️
You could treat the room to not have any screwy reflections the same way though. Like we all aim to do anyway. The goal is to have a neutral mix space so it translates. He's not doing anything that would only work in his room.

My point is if the question is: Does the Atmos encoded program get decoded 1:1 to the original mix - assuming you have the same speaker array - the answer is: yes!

Relieved to see some members who ordered from RareWaves are receiving notice from USPS Informed Delivery that their packages are in the system. Honestly, $4.99 shipping seemed crazy cheap for a package that large. I placed my order September 11, curious when others placed theirs.
I likewise placed my order with RAREWAVES on September 11th and yes, that $4.99 s/h charge was VERY CHEAP! I just paid $14 to have two 4K Video discs shipped from Germany!

Ironically, the return address on the WHO package said Springfield Gardens, New York. They must have a U.S. distributor!

Mine was 9/11 as well. Supposed to be in my hands tomorrow.
The whole price for less than $184 seemed crazy but it was real.

Just unwrapped the CD Japan version -- came (with a hefty postal addition I didn't catch in time, and that delayed it a few days, but it shipped from Japan to here in just 3 days!) with a somewhat large WHO logo sticker, oh woo haha, and an interesting large Japanese print-out booklet of the contents inside. The wrapper had an honest-to-god Obi, or it would be if it weren't a sticker, but that would be even more expensive, I suppose. I've tried to keep the plastic wrapping intact because of that.

Can't wait to hear the 1971 concerts, as a previous poster mentioned the SF one was great -- here's where the SHM-CD should shine! Btw, the blu ray seems made of the same material. Waiting for 4:20 to play the Dolby Atmos version . . . will check in later at the poll :phones .

Last edited:
Excellent news - that's great to know. :LB

...a week on I'm still waiting for my delivery in the UK!

To be crystal clear; this is down to the abysmal performance of our "Royal Mail", who are now just a very bad joke. :rolleyes:
"I give the presentation of this mix a 0, because I don't have it yet."

Can't wait to hear the 1971 concerts, as a previous poster mentioned the SF one was great -- here's where the SHM-CD should shine! Btw, the blu ray seems made of the same material. Waiting for 4:20 to play the Dolby Atmos version . . . will check in later at the poll :phones .
Hint: It's always 4:20 somewhere....

Back