WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving the 5.1 and folded down Atmos mix so far but I feel The Ox's bass is a bit lacking. It reminds me exactly of the sound it had on the Quadrophenia Blu Ray. Anyone else feel like it's a bit under emphasized?

Loving the 5.1 and folded down Atmos mix so far but I feel The Ox's bass is a bit lacking. It reminds me exactly of the sound it had on the Quadrophenia Blu Ray. Anyone else feel like it's a bit under emphasized?

There is no such thing as a "folded down Atmos mix". Do the research. Atmos is extracted from a 5.1 or 7.1 bed. There is no such thing as "folded down from Atmos".

There is no such thing as a "folded down Atmos mix". Do the research. Atmos is extracted from a 5.1 or 7.1 bed. There is no such thing as "folded down from Atmos".
Eh. Some people get a little too hung up on the details here. Even SDE uses the phrase "fold down" in regards to listening to Atmos mixes in non-Atmos setups. It's like getting hung up on the difference between loudness and volume; Not really worth the effort getting worked up on.

Last edited:
Eh. Some people get a little too hung up on the details here. Even SDE using the phrase "fold down" in regards to listening to Atmos mixes in non-Atmos setups. It's like getting hung up on the difference between loudness and volume; Not really worth the effort getting worked up on.
The DSOTM thread got ridiculous because of some of the members here.

I should say, Mr. E! That MONOLITH alone must weigh over two tons!

Gorgeous box set I must add!
Agreed, Mr. Ralphie! The biggest box set on my shelf! I flipped page by page through the graphic novel but I don’t think I’ll ever read it. 🤷‍♂️
Anyone else's memorabilia get scratched up by the buttons included?
Just like the Layla Deluxe set.
WTF
Not scratched but slightly indented.

The Quadrophenia 5.1 is excessively lacking in bass. I've yet to hear Who's Next, but I hope it is not as bad as Quadrophenia. :unsure:

Eh. Some people get a little too hung up on the details here. Even SDE uses the phrase "fold down" in regards to listening to Atmos mixes in non-Atmos setups. It's like getting hung up on the difference between loudness and volume; Not really worth the effort getting worked up on.
You got to pay attention to the details,
Kinda like "slightly or almost pregnant. :eek:

Playing either the 5.1 or Atmos mixes through my 5.1 system, I find John's bass to be a bit lacking, much as I do on the Quadrophenia Blu Ray. That better??

Now, anyone else feel it's a bit neutered in the mix?

You got to pay attention to the details,
Kinda like "slightly or almost pregnant. :eek:
The details matter insofar as it answers the common consumer question "Wait, can I listen to an Atmos mix on my 5.1/7.1 setup?"

In that context, I think it's fair to refer what's happening as the mix being "folded down", even though it may not be technically correct.

If I were to have one complaint about the sound, it's that the cymbals do still get to be a bit harsh during the busier passages (just like on the original mix). Also, as on the original, I felt there is a bit of a drop-off in low-end on "Won't Get Fooled Again" versus the rest of the album. I'd hoped Steven could bring it more in-line with the rest of the album in this regard - and he does to some extent - but it's still doesn't quite have the same 'oomph' as the other songs to my ears.
I'm not sure I would describe the cymbals as harsh but it is hard to tell. First reason is that on my system the Atmos mix is very much louder than the DTS 5.1 mix so level matching is imperative and difficult. But then also the cymbals do seem to be mixed at a higher overall level in the Atmos mix than the 5.1. Instantly audible on the opening Baba cut. They are quite a bit more subdued in the 5.1.
So yea I think they might automatically sound more harsh against the 5.1.
IMHO Steven did an excellent job with what I feel are less than stellar original recordings.
IME the recording was never SOTA quality and time probably hasn't done the masters
any favors.

So is the box larger than Rush’s Moving Pictures box?
For me that heftiness is a turnoff.
Agreed. I have some album racks on my wall (They can accommodate something as thick as the Pink Floyd Immersion sets) and would like to display the Whos Next box set, but the entire box is way too deep. I can put up just the thinner sleeve with the discs alone, but it does not have the album cover on those.

Anyone else's memorabilia get scratched up by the buttons included?
Just like the Layla Deluxe set.
WTF
Yes, once again a gap between the creative art concept and common sense in packaging.
Nothing more than a small poly bag to enclose them would have protected the paper contents.

The damage isn't heinous, but those metal clasp things made some indentations.

Those "deluxe clasp-back fasteners" on the badges are sharp.
My autographed photo has a small tear and scratches, but I'm over it.
Insignificant in the awesomeness of this box.

The badges are now safe in a padded envelope.

You gotta wonder if Amazon shipping has a clue. Look at this routing. It went from Dallas to Teterboro, NJ, to Staten Island, NY and then back to Kearny, NJ. I guess they need to find someone who knows where Bumbletopia might be...

I hope there is no damage when it arrives from all of this center hopping. :unsure:

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 9.21.42 AM.jpg

Playing either the 5.1 or Atmos mixes through my 5.1 system, I find John's bass to be a bit lacking, much as I do on the Quadrophenia Blu Ray. That better??

Now, anyone else feel it's a bit neutered in the mix?
You're not alone. I hope to give it another spin tonight, and I noticed it has to be cranked higher than other discs, but I also found bass to be on the weak side.

It went from Dallas to Teterboro, NJ, to Staten Island, NY and then back to Kearny, NJ. I guess they need to find someone who knows where Bumbletopia might be...

Well bless those Amazon boys in Kearny, NJ because they obviously know where Bumbletopia is located...

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!!

Back