4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny too, that Herbie Mann is the reason "Gandharva" even got recorded at all.....then Stevie Wonder heard it, and the rest is history
Hey, this is incorrect!

I got "Gandharva" and "Zero Time" mixed up last night.

Paul Beaver and Bernie Krause vs Malcolm Cecil and Robert Margouleff.

Oof....I blame the Guinness 🍺

Can I ask for another vague hint? Were all four titles originally issued by labels that fell under the WEA umbrella? Jefferson Starship was a surprise as it had been reissued through Sony/Legacy on CD as recently as 2005, but my guess is that Jefferson Starship retained the masters once they started Grunt in 1971, at least that sounds plauseable. I imagine Chicago also secured their masters from Sony somewhere down the line. But is Rhino licensing titles from other majors? If so, please do what you can to get Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" out in quad.

Just to put my 2cents in, I'd love to see these ones come soon (all were originally released on CD-4 LP, quad reel & Q8 tape)...
Mickey Newbury • Frisco Mabel Joy
Donny Hathaway - Extension Of A Man
Herbie Mann – Hold On, I'm Comin' (for me better than Push Push and with a nice discrete mix)
Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky
Rhino is not licensing masters from other labels for the Quadio series.
Has has negotiated rights to artist's catalogs that have reverted to them (Chicago, certain Grunt recording artists etc.)
I'm with you on Mickey Newbury. That is a very emotionally powerful album. Haven't found the quad master and not sure we still control his Elektra catalog.

Okay fans, the next batch will be 2 Atlantics, 1 Reprise, 1 that originally came out on United Artists!

I'm taking note of the interest in Herbie Mann.....
I'm wondering about this 1971 on "Embryo Records" (Atlantic?), a little more funky IINM than some of his others and has great supporting players like:
Chuck Rainey, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Bernard Purdie, Richard Tee, Cornell Dupree, David Spinoza, Duane Allman, Richard Tee, Ralph McDonald and more...

Don't even recall if I've ever heard this Quad or how the mix is?

https://www.discogs.com/release/21530524-Herbie-Mann-Push-Push

that 1 Reprise candidate really narrows it down to either Arlo Guthrie "Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys", Maria Muldaur "Waitress In A Donut Shop", Randy Newman "Good Old Boys", or the other Gordon Lightfoot Quad "Cold On The Shoulder".. unless it's an unreleased Quad..!! 😳🤯🤩

United Artists has got to be WAR..!! 🤞😅

OK, I'm guessing two of the titles:

Randy Newman's Good Old Boys would be the singer/songwriter on Reprise that was available on LP, Q8 & QR.
War's War Live is a United Artists title that is now being distributed by Rhino. That would be the R&B-ish that was only available as a Q8.

Gotta give some thought as to what the two Atlantic titles would be.

Newman is my #1 wish, so I am gleefully optimistic!

Awww..great clues, Steve.

United Artists must be a War title ....and I hope it's "The World Is A Ghetto"

Reprise...I'm in for Randy Newman Good Old Boys or Gordon Lightfoot , but won't refuse Arlo Guthrie or Maria Muldaur.

2Atlantics ...could be any of these ;
Spinners Pick Of The Litter , Modern Jazz Quartet , Aretha Franklin , Gil Evans , Average White Band , J Geils Band , Bette Midler, Duke Ellington,
Herbie Mann, Roberta Flack.......or Atco's... Donny Hathaway .
As I assume they all fit into R&B ,Jazz category.

There are 2 Atlantic Soundtrack albums ...The Wiz and
Richard Harris The Profhet.

And one Q8 only with Mongo Santamaria, and Herbie Mann Push Push.

Last edited:
I'm with you on Mickey Newbury. That is a very emotionally powerful album. Haven't found the quad master and not sure we still control his Elektra catalog.

I think the Mickey Newbury rights are now with a label called Saint Cecilia Knows ("Boutique reissue label curated and run by writer and journalist, Chris Campion. Home to music by Mickey Newbury, Jack Ruby, Scott Fagan and more." according to their twitter page) and have been for a dozen years or so, so that may account for the missing quad master. Probably a moot point but there may be two more unreleased Newbury quads - Heaven Help the Child was listed as an upcoming release in the June 23, 1973 issue of Record World, and I Came to Hear the Music was one of the many "announced but never released" titles that showed up in catalogs in 1974.

@ForagingRhino .... this is a little off-topic but..... A little while back you kindly checked for us to see if several announced but never released quad titles existed in the vaults. The scan below is from a WB Germany DVD-A release sheet from about twenty years ago. It lists several titles that were never released. Any chance you'd be able to check to see if 5.1 mixes were ever completed for the following:

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
Crosby, Stills & Nash [first album]
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messanger

Completely understand if it's something you're not at liberty to discuss. Thanks!

German-DVD-A-list.jpeg

Okay fans, the next batch will be 2 Atlantics, 1 Reprise, 1 that originally came out on United Artists!

I'm taking note of the interest in Herbie Mann.....
Steve, can we narrow the one which originally came out on United Artists to:

The World is a Ghetto. United Artist USTQ-5652-QF (QR),
UA-DA178-H (Q8)

That would be AWESOME!

that 1 Reprise candidate really narrows it down to either Arlo Guthrie "Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys", Maria Muldaur "Waitress In A Donut Shop", Randy Newman "Good Old Boys", or the other Gordon Lightfoot Quad "Cold On The Shoulder".. unless it's an unreleased Quad..!! 😳🤯🤩

United Artists has got to be WAR..!! 🤞😅
"The World Is A Ghetto" did not get a CD-4 pressing in Japan right?

Two massive hits, an audiophile favorite, was OOP for years (no LPs no CDs) building up a major demand for a time. It's called a "no-brainer" I think.

And I'm bett[e]ing that one of the ATLANTIC releases will be Bette Midler's THE DIVINE MISS M!

The Divine Miss M. Atlantic QD-7238 (CD4), ATLQ-7238 (QR),
AT-7238 (Q8)
I'd be happy with this title anytime they want to serve it up. But we are looking at two artists featuring R&B. Funk, or Soul. One Jazz cat, and a Singer-Songwriter. Miss M just does not fit this time around.

Last edited:
I'd be happy with this title anytime they want to serve it up. But we are looking at two artists featuring R&B. Funk, or Soul. One Jazz cat, and Singer-Songwriter. Miss M just does not fit this time around.
So hopefully, Gil Evans Svengali

Svengali. Atlantic QD-1643 (CD4), QT-1643 (Q8)

Or, The Modern Jazz Quartet [take your pick]

Blues on Bach. Atlantic QD-1652 (CD4), QT-1652 (Q8)
Plastic Dreams. Atlantic QT-1589 [previously L-71589] (Q8)
The Last Concert. Atlantic [2 LP] QD-2-909 (CD4), QT-2-090 (Q8)

Back