4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking (out loud, why not)

Gil Evans - Svengali (Jazz cat) on Atlantic
R&B on Atlantic ??? AWB gets so many mentions around these parts, Roberta F might have to wait until next time or the time after that............
Randy Newman - Good Old Boys on Reprise (Singer-Songwriter)
War - World is a Ghetto on United Artists (R&B-ish)

This is a very well rounded-out set, is musically sophisticated, has artistic attainment / commercial potential achieved. Oh and hot demo / audiophile sound quality screaming out in four-F'ing channels!!!

Last edited:
Some other thoughts:

It won't be Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, Bread, Jackson Browne or Eagles or anything else on Elektra or Asylum. So those are ruled out.

Also ruled out are Seals and Croft and America on Warner Brothers.

I'm going to guess it's too early in the Quadio world to release a second album from Spinners or Gordon Lightfoot (Atlantic and Reprise). So my guess will rule them out, too

That helps narrow it down considerably.

Some of you might recall that I directly asked Graham Nash about the CSN and Deja Vu DVD-Audio alleged releases when he had his fan forum back in the early 2000's. (I think I actually posted screen shots of the conversation here somewhere). He actually would communicate with fans there. Anyway, I told him how great "Songs for Survivors" 5.1 disc was, and asked what the status was for CSN and Deja Vu. He claimed that he intended to work on those 5.1 mixes but as of yet he had not. He said he needed to find time to do them, as they were doing the CSNY2K and CSNY2K2 tours (if you recall)

I would be shocked if they ever got done - but getting shocked would be worth it in this case!!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/news-from-graham-nash.804/
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/graham-nash-is-into-surround.942/

UA? Wow!!!
Side note: as "UA Q8 only" there is also the release of Ike & Tina Turner live. Quite explosive album.

I do love that album. Some killer performances. I predicted that War Live would be the UA title because most of the UA catalog is being controlled now by labels not affiliated with Rhino. (Traffic for example is now distributed by Universal, ELO by Sony, etc...). The War titles though are being distributed by Rhino. Ike & Tina's UA titles however currently show on Apple Music as being released by Capitol, without mention of a parent company distributor. When Capitol/EMI was purchased by Universal several years ago, many artists' catalogs were sold off to other distributors. I wonder who got the Ike & Tina catalog. If it is indeed Warner Brothers, then it could be a possibility.

Last edited:
Hmmm...I originally thought War Live was more likely than The World is a Ghetto because according to Mark Anderson's quad discography the latter title was only released on QR & Q8, not a combination in one of the hints. (War Live was released solely on Q8, one of the options in the hints). However Discogs shows a CD4 test pressing of The World is a Ghetto. Does that count?

Hmmm...I originally thought War Live was more likely than The World is a Ghetto because according to Mark Anderson's quad discography the latter title was only released on QR & Q8, not a combination in one of the hints. (War Live was released solely on Q8, one of the options in the hints). However Discogs shows a CD4 test pressing of The World is a Ghetto. Does that count?
I've never seen any evidence of a quad reel QR of "Ghetto" being issued.

Some of you might recall that I directly asked Graham Nash about the CSN and Deja Vu DVD-Audio alleged releases when he had his fan forum back in the early 2000's. (I think I actually posted screen shots of the conversation here somewhere). He actually would communicate with fans there. Anyway, I told him how great "Songs for Survivors" 5.1 disc was, and asked what the status was for CSN and Deja Vu. He claimed that he intended to work on those 5.1 mixes but as of yet he had not. He said he needed to find time to do them, as they were doing the CSNY2K and CSNY2K2 tours (if you recall)

I would be shocked if they ever got done - but getting shocked would be worth it in this case!!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/news-from-graham-nash.804/
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/graham-nash-is-into-surround.942/
I know it ain't gonna happen...but I would love Nash's Wild Tales in surround in any format.

The United Artists catalog in the main is controlled by UMG as the result of a series of mergers over the years - they were acquired by Capitol, and Capitol eventually got gobbled up by UMG. ELO were never really U/A artists per se, they were just distributed by U/A in the US and Canada - they started out signed to Harvest in the UK, and then moved to Jet Records (the label founded and run by Sharon Osbourne's father, Don Arden) which is how they find themselves now under the Sony Umbrella.

What Warner does have the rights to now is the Far Out Productions catalog, which belongs to WAR's former manager, Jerry Goldstein. This includes all the WAR albums back to their very first collaboration with Eric Burdon (1970's Eric Burdon Declares War) but also includes a couple of other albums that had quad mixes: the Eric Burdon Band's Sun Secrets from 1974, and Jimmy Witherspoon's Love is a Five Letter Word from 1975, both of which were originally distributed on Q8 (only) by Capitol.

The mix on Sun Secrets isn't great as I recall, but it was a tape that routinely fetched hundreds of bucks on eBay just based on its rarity. You also have to wonder if the 1975 follow-up, Stop, had an unreleased quad mix given that it was in the window that Capitol were releasing most of their quad product.

Okay fans, the next batch will be 2 Atlantics, 1 Reprise, 1 that originally came out on United Artists!

I'm taking note of the interest in Herbie Mann.....
nobody needs herbie mann he is way over with. :) I work in used lps and he is almost as bad as barbra steisand, his records are everywhere and completely clog the market.

The United Artists catalog in the main is controlled by UMG as the result of a series of mergers over the years - they were acquired by Capitol, and Capitol eventually got gobbled up by UMG. ELO were never really U/A artists per se, they were just distributed by U/A in the US and Canada - they started out signed to Harvest in the UK, and then moved to Jet Records (the label founded and run by Sharon Osbourne's father, Don Arden) which is how they find themselves now under the Sony Umbrella.

What Warner does have the rights to now is the Far Out Productions catalog, which belongs to WAR's former manager, Jerry Goldstein. This includes all the WAR albums back to their very first collaboration with Eric Burdon (1970's Eric Burdon Declares War) but also includes a couple of other albums that had quad mixes: the Eric Burdon Band's Sun Secrets from 1974, and Jimmy Witherspoon's Love is a Five Letter Word from 1975, both of which were originally distributed on Q8 (only) by Capitol.

The mix on Sun Secrets isn't great as I recall, but it was a tape that routinely fetched hundreds of bucks on eBay just based on its rarity. You also have to wonder if the 1975 follow-up, Stop, had an unreleased quad mix given that it was in the window that Capitol were releasing most of their quad product.
ELO does have Lp's on UA.

ELO does have Lp's on UA.
As SteelyDave said:

ELO were never really U/A artists per se, they were just distributed by U/A in the US and Canada - they started out signed to Harvest in the UK, and then moved to Jet Records (the label founded and run by Sharon Osbourne's father, Don Arden) which is how they find themselves now under the Sony Umbrella.

All their early UA titles in the US moved to Sony decades ago.

Oh that's great news Steely !

I am of course talking about Eric Burdon and his lone quad "Sun Secrets" , on Far Out Productions....now with Rhino/WEA.

That title needs a reissue on a Rhino Quadio. Now it wasn't a 'knock you out of your seat' quad mix , but I certainly found it satisfactory...so that title is now part of my Quadio release requests.
And if anything it was mentioned that remixes in quadraphonic were considered a viable option with this Quadio Program...so if possible...
can we get a 4ch mix from Eric Burdon Declares War !
(A much better album musically in my opinion)

So in summary, one quad title possible from Rhino with "Sun Secrets".💥

🤩

Back