4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ForagingRhinoThe scan below is from a WB Germany DVD-A release sheet from about twenty years ago. It lists several titles that were never released. Any chance you'd be able to check to see if 5.1 mixes were ever completed for the following:

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
Crosby, Stills & Nash [first album]
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messanger

Completely understand if it's something you're not at liberty to discuss. Thanks!

View attachment 99197
Being perhaps a bit pedantic here, but this is a Dutch list (so: from the Netherlands), not a German one. Does not change the relevance of the questions though!

I know what you’re thinking; OMG! The Ventures in quad! OMG!!!! I would like that because I’ve not been able to get it to play. Maybe some day. The Jimmy Witherspoon is pretty nice and the Womack fits into the guessing game. I had a War Q8 but it never worked. I gave up on UA and Imperial carts because even after they were repaired they wouldn’t play properly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
This is a long shot, but one of my favorites released on United Artists is Live & Let Die

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_and_Let_Die_(soundtrack)
I would be over the moon for this as a Quadio!
Since he didn’t say there was a soundtrack album in the list, this would be highly unlikely.

But more importantly, the U/A stuff went to EMI, which then went to UMG.

War is an exception in that their catalog left U/A and went to Rhino decades ago.

I have a “Best of War” CD that Rhino released back in 1987.

@ForagingRhino .... this is a little off-topic but..... A little while back you kindly checked for us to see if several announced but never released quad titles existed in the vaults. The scan below is from a WB Germany DVD-A release sheet from about twenty years ago. It lists several titles that were never released. Any chance you'd be able to check to see if 5.1 mixes were ever completed for the following:

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
Crosby, Stills & Nash [first album]
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messanger

Completely understand if it's something you're not at liberty to discuss. Thanks!

View attachment 99197
Nope.
Chicago X & the Soundtrack to High Society are the only unreleased 5.1 mixes.

After taking into consideration everyone's expertise on the subject, this is my final guess for this batch:

• Randy Newman - Good Old Boys [singer/songwriter on Reprise that was available on LP, Q8 & QR.]
  • War - The World is a Ghetto [R&B-ish on United Artists that was only available as a Q8.]
  • Duke Ellington - New Orleans Suite [Jazz-cat on Atlantic available on Q8 & LP.]
  • Average White Band - AWB [R&B-ish on Atlantic available on Q8 & LP.]

Last edited:
After taking into consideration everyone's expertise on the subject, this is my final guess for this batch:

• Randy Newman - Good Old Boys [singer/songwriter on Reprise that was available on LP, Q8 & QR.]
  • War - The World is a Ghetto [R&B-ish on United Artists that was only available as a Q8.]
  • Duke Ellington - New Orleans Suite [Jazz-cat on Atlantic available on Q8 & LP.]
Pretty stellar set, IMO.

If so, that will make 3 bundles purchased out of 3 for me.

Nope.
Chicago X & the Soundtrack to High Society are the only unreleased 5.1 mixes.

Years ago I ripped the WB DVD of the film for the songs when I was making my mother a Frank Sinatra from film disc for her (Guys and Dolls/Robin and the Seven Hoods/etc). While most of the movies claiming to be 5.1 were just modified stereo, the songs from this film were very discrete, sorta 3 channel, but definitely more than stereo. For example if I recall correctly, the opening title song with Louis Armstrong on the bus singing 'High Society' has Louis in the center channel only, while the rest of the guys are in the two fronts channels. It's a very good surround mix for an older film like that. The DVD-A would have been something to hear if they expanded on that film track for those who might want to go way back.

Years ago I ripped the WB DVD of the film for the songs when I was making my mother a Frank Sinatra from film disc for her (Guys and Dolls/Robin and the Seven Hoods/etc). While most of the movies claiming to be 5.1 were just modified stereo, the songs from this film were very discrete, sorta 3 channel, but definitely more than stereo. For example if I recall correctly, the opening title song with Louis Armstrong on the bus singing 'High Society' has Louis in the center channel only, while the rest of the guys are in the two fronts channels. It's a very good surround mix for an older film like that. The DVD-A would have been something to hear if they expanded on that film track for those who might want to go way back.
Not to mention this memorable 'standard' from High Society sung to perfection by BING

That song [Helplessly Hoping] is used a few times in the movie Annihilation and I remember thinking it sounded like the voices were spread all around the theater. Never picked up the Blu-Ray to find out though...
That was the impression I got from home viewing. I wonder if rotating the existing stereo could give that effect. Quad CSN(Y) would be welcome, of course.

I have a “Best of War” CD that Rhino released back in 1987.

Was sayin' "huh?" because i have the Best of War and more cd too, but i was sure it wasn't a Rhino disc. Fired out discogs and indeed it came out first on Priority Records, which i have, while the Rhino version is likely a later repress.

Some of you might recall that I directly asked Graham Nash about the CSN and Deja Vu DVD-Audio alleged releases when he had his fan forum back in the early 2000's. (I think I actually posted screen shots of the conversation here somewhere). He actually would communicate with fans there. Anyway, I told him how great "Songs for Survivors" 5.1 disc was, and asked what the status was for CSN and Deja Vu. He claimed that he intended to work on those 5.1 mixes but as of yet he had not. He said he needed to find time to do them, as they were doing the CSNY2K and CSNY2K2 tours (if you recall)

I would be shocked if they ever got done - but getting shocked would be worth it in this case!!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/news-from-graham-nash.804/
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/graham-nash-is-into-surround.942/
What I'd really love to see (although it wouldn't be in Quad) is a high def release of the original mix of Songs for Beginners. The DVD-A that was released a while ago contained all new mixes, there's never been physical product or a digital release of that amazing album in its original form in high def!

That was the impression I got from home viewing. I wonder if rotating the existing stereo could give that effect. Quad CSN(Y) would be welcome, of course.
It is soooo much more expensive to mix an album to quad compared to remastering an existing quad release. I don't think that's financially a reasonable expectation for this Quadio campaign.

Was sayin' "huh?" because i have the Best of War and more cd too, but i was sure it wasn't a Rhino disc. Fired out discogs and indeed it came out first on Priority Records, which i have, while the Rhino version is likely a later repress.
Perhaps. But there's no way my Rhino copy was pressed any later than 2000. And it has no date on it later than 1987.

In any case, Rhino has been the ones releasing their catalog for years. War hasn't had any affiliation with U/A for decades. Nor has U/A ever had any affiliation with Rhino.

It is soooo much more expensive to mix an album to quad compared to remastering an existing quad release. I don't think that's financially a reasonable expectation for this Quadio campaign.
Also far different licensing rules, I would think. It's one thing to release existing mixes. It's another to create new ones.

Also, there would be no reason anyone would make a new mix of an old album into quad in 2023. They'd do Atmos.

Back