4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking (out loud, why not)

Gil Evans - Svengali (Jazz cat) on Atlantic
R&B on Atlantic ??? AWB gets so many mentions around these parts, Roberta F might have to wait until next time or the time after that............
Randy Newman - Good Old Boys on Reprise (Singer-Songwriter)
War - World is a Ghetto on United Artists (R&B-ish)

This is a very well rounded-out set, is musically sophisticated, has artistic attainment / commercial potential achieved. Oh and hot demo / audiophile sound quality screaming out in four-F'ing channels!!!

And the WINNER of the title of 'QQ Clairvoyant' is quicksrt! He had these pegged last Saturday just from the clues. Great job there!

I bought Svengali (CD-4) after an (IIRC) Audio mag review of the quad release, the music wasn't really my thing in 1973, but I still sometimes play the album (the stereo downmix of the quad).

I'll have to check YouTube to hear the Randy Newman album to see if I'll buy all 4 Quadios this time.

Kirk Bayne

From my experience, making new mixes from vintage 2" multi-tracks gets extremely expensive, be it into stereo or quad. I expect Rhino would be more inclined to grab low-hanging fruit.

I think we proved (and the acknowledged) that when it's the right album - it could be worth it. Regard, the Sabbath/Paranoid album. Everybody and their DOG wanted that album. I bet if they announced they were remixing Sabotage into a modern Quad mix it would break the internet.

Or if they could twist Don Henley's nipples and he would allow the remixing of their first two albums, the same would happen. Those are heavy hitters that would more than likely recoup the cost of mixing.

If they really wanted to throw caution to the wind; I'd remix them for free. 😁 Just provide me with the multitracks.

I bought Svengali (CD-4) after an (IIRC) Audio mag review of the quad release, the music wasn't really my thing in 1973, but I still sometimes play the album (the stereo downmix of the quad).

I'll have to check YouTube to hear the Randy Newman album to see if I'll buy all 4 Quadios this time.

Kirk Bayne
The Randy Newman album is one that imo needs to be listened to from beginning to end in a comfortable position where you want to soak up the arrangements and lyrical poetics. It's some satire and some of it can blow right by if you are not in the mood and unsure. Many of us like it even more than the "Sail Away" album - his more "popular" type of album. I don't know if it would be effective to scroll through YT samples. It's like a hidden concept album about the deep south. Easy to miss the irony in the lyrics if one is looking for something to tap your foot to or a catchy hit song. It might take a couple of listens to get it, for me it did.

Last edited:
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1975-01.pdf#page=71^^^
This is a musically and aurally fantastic album, one of the finest CD-4 records yet offered.
&
...this disc is one which proves that CD-4 not only works, but works damn well!

This convinced me to special order the album (from Discount Records) in early 1975, anyway, it'll be great to hear it in quad (I did play the CD-4 a few times with my [almost] working CD-4 system).

Kirk Bayne

After taking into consideration everyone's expertise on the subject, this is my final guess for this batch:

• Randy Newman - Good Old Boys [singer/songwriter on Reprise that was available on LP, Q8 & QR.]
  • War - The World is a Ghetto [R&B-ish on United Artists that was only available as a Q8.]
  • Duke Ellington - New Orleans Suite [Jazz-cat on Atlantic available on Q8 & LP.]
  • Average White Band - AWB [R&B-ish on Atlantic available on Q8 & LP.]
Three out of four ain't bad! Good shooting Mr Universe!

I find the Quadio issued discs all collectible as a series set. Nothing so far out of the series that I don't like.

Now about the War "Ghetto" album, it's great to be completely surprised with an unexpected treat like this. I've always loved the sound of this album, and think that the horns sound amazing and definitely not overdubbed but recorded live with the rhythm section. There are reverbs and some interesting panning of background effects that will impress in quad, but are subtle enough to not be distracting.

I found the Avenue Gold CD to be mastered a bit cold compared to my original '73 LP. I'm hoping the coming Quadio is warmer, or has a tad less brightness. I've not heard this from quad 8-track cart, or a conversion.

Last edited:
The Quadio of Ghetto should be a big improvement over the UA 8 Track. I think we got the channel assignments right!
I'd guess that the team did not use the Q8's to assess where channels are supposed to go on any of these BluRays. :ROFLMAO: I'm under the impression that It's sometimes found on the track sheets or tape boxes what is what, but it's gotta be a little nervy when a judgement call must be made, or opinions differ.

Back