4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the best parts of this series has been the discovery of “new” music. I was familiar with AWB’s Pick Up the Pieces from that album, but nothing else. Listening to the album on streaming now, this is my most anticipated title of the four. Love some great funk/disco guitar.
The Self titled "Average White Band" album is one of my all time favorite albums regardless of Genre. The Quad mix is quite different than the Stereo one too.

AWB never put out a bad album. Some are better than others, but their entire discography is routinely excellent.

Though the self titled album is the only one that has a multi-channel mix, I would also recommend their album "Soul Searching".

One of the best parts of this series has been the discovery of “new” music. I was familiar with AWB’s Pick Up the Pieces from that album, but nothing else. Listening to the album on streaming now, this is my most anticipated title of the four. Love some great funk/disco guitar.
the Quad mix of AWB is for me virtually without parallel, it's superb ❤️😍

I'm concerned that Chad Kassem's ongoing Atlantic 75 project could prevent certain Atlantic quads from resurfacing. Kassem did a fine job issuing Nat King Cole's three-track Capitol masters for SACD, but that was years ago. Since then, no multi-channel SACDs on Analogue Productions, barring a controversial "Spatializer" mix on the Beach Boys' Surf's Up that infuriated original engineer Stephen Desper. Kassem totally blew off reissuing Steely Dan's early ABC quads and the two 5.1 reunion albums that originally appeared on DVD-A. Truly a lost opportunity.

wow!!! 🤯🤩
the talent involved is jaw-dropping, i had no idea!! 🤷🏻‍♀️💘
You may know, but I believe everything from Gordon Lightfoot to Rickie Lee Jones and before and after have their finger prints all over the masters.

RE: Producer – Lenny Waronker & Russ Titelman > Mixed By – Donn Landee > Mastered by - Lee Herschberg

Special mention Producer - Ted Templeman

Warner Brothers was an "artists label" and would work and spend whatever it took to get albums that got their artists to reach full potential. And they would keep at it for 5 and 6 albums sometimes before hitting pay dirt. And when the artist hit pay dirt, it would be massive sales, career making history.

For me , the real winner is War The World Is A Ghetto, followed closely by Randy Newman Good Old Boys.

Gil Evans Svengali , I never had back in the day...so it will be a surprise album for my ears.

AWB ...had it and never got into the disco aspect of the music....so i'll pass.
But for those who do...best of listening....it is a very good quad mix .
Still 3 out of four ain't bad.

@ForagingRhino
So thankyou Steve , and all those quad Rhino elves , that helped bring about this set.

Hoping for more Rock or Folk Rock oriented material ...for next time , in March ?
I think quarterly means every three months or about, like April I would guess.

the Quadio's of AWB and Svengali should go down as some of the best ever Quad reissues of all, in my humble opinion 😍❤️
I want to hear the AWB quad coming at me from all directions, and all directions equally, deep bass kicking ass, sparkling highs with crystal clarity, and slammin' mids that make you know that the money spent on the speakers was a good investment - and that the 110 watts per channel I have is actually not overkill at all!!!

I will again buy all 4, when will you get another opportunity? The second batch was great from my perspective....if you don't like jazz music, then I guess you probably never really listened to any jazz. War and AWB are 100% picks, Gil just based on his Miles Davis association, Randy Newman...not a fan of the voice, but I enjoy a good concept album to try to unravel. I will buy all that Rhino continues to put out.

I see lots of folks on here saying they are getting 3 in the series, but passing on one.
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy the bundle. 🤷‍♂️

Using rounded numbers, each Quadio is $25. So buying 3 would be $75. For $80, you get 4. o_O

You get the one you kinda don't want for $5. Sell it on eBay for $10 and you've made a profit. Or keep it in your library, sealed, and in a few years, it will be worth even more.

And, or course, the obvious plus is that you keep this program alive. Very alive. Not on life support.

I bought the first bundle even though J. Geils was not my thing. Same with the second. Mingus was the odd one out for me. Both are still sealed . And in this bundle, not a Randy Newman fan (and I've never heard anything by Gil Evans.) But I'm also buying them all - in part because of what people on this forum said about them. The mix, the people involved with the album, etc. I'm actually looking forward to listening to them as something new-to-me.

Quadio forever! :51QQ

I see lots of folks on here saying they are getting 3 in the series, but passing on one.
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy the bundle. 🤷‍♂️
I'll tell you why. I don't care for Gil Evans, AWB or War. I'm 75 years old, on a fixed income, and long past the point where I need to thin out a lifetime of treasured recordings. The Q8 of Good Old Boys sounds awful, the R2R has potential binder issues, and the CD-4? I haven't gotten a reliable quad signal from any CD-4 in forty-eight years, especially WEA pressings. So if you're planning to order everything but Good Old Boys, there's no reason to feel any guilt about it.

I'll tell you why. I don't care for Gil Evans, AWB or War. I'm 75 years old, on a fixed income, and long past the point where I need to thin out a lifetime of treasured recordings. The Q8 of Good Old Boys sounds awful, the R2R has potential binder issues, and the CD-4? I haven't gotten a reliable quad signal from any CD-4 in forty-eight years, especially WEA pressings. So if you're planning to order everything but Good Old Boys, there's no reason to feel any guilt about it.
I was specifically talking about people who have said they plan to buy 3 of the 4.

For those who are not into Randy Newman, if you jump onto YouTube or some other streaming service to sample the album you will probably start with the first song called "Rednecks", which might be a bit jarring here in 2023. Without knowing the purpose of the album as a whole, this song might put you off right away.

The thing is that many of Randy Newman's songs are written from the prospective of the character singing the song, not the artist. People got upset about "Short People" because they thought Randy Newman disliked short people, when in fact he is short and the song is really an analogy about any type of discrimination against any type of division of people.

Anyway, "Good Old Boys" is a complete work, not just a song, and an album about an area of the US at a very specific time period. Taken as a piece of work it can be realized for what it is. Taken as a single tune listened to as a sample you will not get the intended message.

I understand very well that today people do not want to invest time into learning new music. That's why albums are kaput. Everyone wants to hear what they like and that's that. Well, almost everyone.

The main thing is, don't get spooked by listening to Rednecks with it's first person perspective and its use of language not tolerated in today's world. This is not an album of 2023, it's an album of the South in the 1920's.

End of lecture, and I am sure I screwed part of this up, so anyone else who wants to chime in, be my guest.

EDIT: I found a review that describes it a lot better than I did:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22308-good-old-boys/

Last edited:
For those who are not into Randy Newman, if you jump onto YouTube or some other streaming service to sample the album you will probably start with the first song called "Rednecks", which might be a bit jarring here in 2023. Without knowing the purpose of the album as a whole, this song might put you off right away.

The thing is that many of Randy Newman's songs are written from the prospective of the character singing the song, not the artist. People got upset about "Short People" because they thought Randy Newman disliked short people, when in fact he is short and the song is really an analogy about any type of discrimination against any type of division of people.

Anyway, "Good Old Boys" is a complete work, not just a song, and an album about an area of the US at a very specific time period. Taken as a piece of work it can be realized for what it is. Taken as a single tune listened to as a sample you will not get the intended message.

I understand very well that today people do not want to invest time into learning new music. That's why albums are kaput. Everyone wants to hear what they like and that's that. Well, almost everyone.

The main thing is, don't get spooked by listening to Rednecks with it's first person perspective and its use of language not tolerated in today's world. This is not an album of 2023, it's an album of the South in the 1920's.

End of lecture, and I am sure I screwed part of this up, so anyone else who wants to chime in, be my guest

EDIT: I found a review that describes it a lot better than I did:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22308-good-old-boys/
Some good songs in there, like "Mr. President (have pity on the working man)" and "Louisiana 1927", the album seems to focus on southern poverty in the '20s and '30s.

Back